Old 05-20-2020, 09:52 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Most of your professional engine builder have a good understanding of how cams work. Most of them have thier own grinds that they have worked out over the years. They also normally work closely with a cam company. Normally they can get you in the ball park with a grind that works with your combo.

If I am working on a new combination and I would prefer to call a engine builder and let them get a baseline cam. If I already have a baseline I will normally cam a cam company and have them help me make the changes I am looking for.

Old 05-20-2020, 12:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
So I guess what you are saying is, I was right. When you want to try and make real power you call Scott Brown, just like anyone can do. The cams in the plain white box with no numbers.
Records ? Until you give up racer, ET weight and MPH of your 1000HP E head rides how can you talk about a 1100HP E head engine ? Just give it up and you will get your props, you would deserve it.
I am camming a engine right now with Vizards program and help from a friend, nothing wrong with doing that. The one I am selling was designed by that program too. But thats all I am going to talk about it here.
Hey, I don't mind talking cams, I know a little, learn more here and there. But you sure are vague about everything. I think there is a reason for that Mr. In The Know.
Good luck with your dyno session.
Interesting. While there are some versions of David's program out there. To the best of my knowledge David is the only one with the full blow program.

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
Old 05-20-2020, 05:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Personally i've never putuch faith in Vizards equations/calculations.

Old 05-20-2020, 05:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Weiss View Post
Interesting. While there are some versions of David's program out there. To the best of my knowledge David is the only one with the full blow program.

Stan
He has seminars and its 800$ for the program. Can get it updated if you have a registered program from him for 150$.
"To the best of my knowledge" just anyone can not get the full blown program. Need to be listed as a "engine builder". The average guy is not going to understand all the inputs. At least that is the way I understand it. I am just glad I have a friend who can run the full program with my info. That simulation you so nicely did for me with the cam I am selling would have gotten me 680HP? i think. It would have RPMed higher too. It was designed for a larger cid engine with bigger heads. With a cam designed exactly for my engine and application I can get over 30HP more. I think its worth it.
If I was a big engine builder, or wanted to be one I would take the seminar and buy the program and get all the updates.
Then you can say you designed the cam, good for business.

Old 05-20-2020, 06:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks. David has invited me to come to one of his seminars, I just have never found the time. I called David today but no one answered. I will try and find out what cam program those people get at his seminars. From what I understand the people who attend his seminars also get this program. "FLOW / IOP"

Stan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flow381.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	540651  

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
Old 05-20-2020, 09:47 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
Personally i've never putuch faith in Vizards equations/calculations.
One man had both David Vizard and Mike Jones each submit their cam specs for a combination.

Results were almost identical. They use different equations but arrived to the same conclusion.

Vizard specs
------------------
Here is what my Cam Master program calls for with the spec of engine being built.
In. Lobe
330 @ 0.012 tappet lift
310 @ 0.020 "
282 @ 0.050 "
0.525 lobe lift
0.922 lift after lash with 1.8/1 R/Ratio
Ex. Lobe
346 @ 0.012 tappet lift
324 @ 0.020 "
294 @ 0.050 "
0.500 lobe lift
0.830 valve lift after lash with 1.7/1 R/Ratio
LCA 110.5 Required.
Note:- If Mike only grinds LCA's to whole numbers as is the case for most cam grinders then I will opt for 111 LCA.

Mike Jones specs
------------------------

Intake: 332 @.012"(Seat), 312 @.020", 284 @.050", .525" lobe lift, .925" net valve lift w/1.8 RR
Exhaust: 344 @.012"(Seat), 326 @.020", 295 @.050", .497" lobe lift, .825" net valve lift w/1.7 RR
Hot Lash .020"/.020"
LSA 111
Mike Jones

Old 05-20-2020, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastry_chef View Post
One man had both David Vizard and Mike Jones each submit their cam specs for a combination.

Results were almost identical. They use different equations but arrived to the same conclusion.

Vizard specs
------------------
Here is what my Cam Master program calls for with the spec of engine being built.
In. Lobe
330 @ 0.012 tappet lift
310 @ 0.020 "
282 @ 0.050 "
0.525 lobe lift
0.922 lift after lash with 1.8/1 R/Ratio
Ex. Lobe
346 @ 0.012 tappet lift
324 @ 0.020 "
294 @ 0.050 "
0.500 lobe lift
0.830 valve lift after lash with 1.7/1 R/Ratio
LCA 110.5 Required.
Note:- If Mike only grinds LCA's to whole numbers as is the case for most cam grinders then I will opt for 111 LCA.

Mike Jones specs
------------------------

Intake: 332 @.012"(Seat), 312 @.020", 284 @.050", .525" lobe lift, .925" net valve lift w/1.8 RR
Exhaust: 344 @.012"(Seat), 326 @.020", 295 @.050", .497" lobe lift, .825" net valve lift w/1.7 RR
Hot Lash .020"/.020"
LSA 111
Mike Jones

That is interesting.... How did that come about?

Old 05-20-2020, 10:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
He has seminars and its 800$ for the program. Can get it updated if you have a registered program from him for 150$.
"To the best of my knowledge" just anyone can not get the full blown program. Need to be listed as a "engine builder". The average guy is not going to understand all the inputs. At least that is the way I understand it. I am just glad I have a friend who can run the full program with my info. That simulation you so nicely did for me with the cam I am selling would have gotten me 680HP? i think. It would have RPMed higher too. It was designed for a larger cid engine with bigger heads. With a cam designed exactly for my engine and application I can get over 30HP more. I think its worth it.
If I was a big engine builder, or wanted to be one I would take the seminar and buy the program and get all the updates.
Then you can say you designed the cam, good for business.
Nice! 30hp over that cam you're selling is good.

Old 05-20-2020, 10:14 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
That is interesting.... How did that come about?
It was done on Speedtalk a few years back. Both Vizard and Jones said those were the the legit results.

The Following User Says Thank You to pastry_chef For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 05:20 PM

I removed a bunch of chest thumping, taunting, I am better than you posts, in an attempt to keep this discussion on track.

We have a Memorial day weekend coming up, it may be a good idea to get off your computers and honor our men and women in service, instead of muddying up what seems to be a good discussion about cam specs.

Old 05-24-2020, 07:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
I got thinking about your statement I could not use a 50/55 mm cam I don't have enough head flow (450+) to take advantage of the larger lifts with such a cam . my heads are in the 350- 380 range Plus cam flex should be ok with lifts under 800 .I am not trying to rotate the world just run 8 flat..
Give SD Dave a call. Tell him about your combo and he'll send you 'The Package'. I called him and told him I wanted to run 8.80's and when I got my stuff, it ran 8.70's all day long. I know you got the cash. $$$$$. Lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	540911  

Old 05-24-2020, 07:36 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Give SD Dave a call. Tell him about your combo and he'll send you 'The Package'. I called him and told him I wanted to run 8.80's and when I got my stuff, it ran 8.70's all day long. I know you got the cash. $$$$$. Lol.
N/A no problem Dave is not a nitrous guy he told me himself.. He has my heads now working more magic into them...lol