Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 05-25-2020, 01:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
I think John is referring to this sheet
I never saw that. I was just looking at the sheet attached in post 6 with the jacked bsfc

Old 05-25-2020, 02:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Langer View Post
No where it peaked at like 885 then dropped off to 870 then jumped up in hp and tq to get to 900. I've only seen that one other time.
Have seen this before ,Seems to be when the header sizing is not correct.Bill C.

http://www.checkeredflagmachine.net/
Old 05-25-2020, 03:15 PM

I think i prefer the WP Edelbrock for daily street use and pump gas. They definitely kill RA5 for torq and horepower my power is about the same. My 535 motor makes 100 more lbs of torq and horsepower is about the same on 93 .
Ra 5 is definitely a big part of pontiac history i saw the dyno sheet is their a write up where we can read everything in the motor i would love to read up on it......are you related to Keith from Canada. Very impressive build.

Last edited by Fast Floridian; 05-25-2020 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-25-2020, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

From the pics looks like headers are 4-2-1 type.
Im sure there is more left in this build and over the few days/weeks im sure more updates will follow

Old 05-25-2020, 09:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfmcnc View Post
Have seen this before ,Seems to be when the header sizing is not correct.Bill C.

Too small?

Old 05-25-2020, 10:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

He stated he had throttle and carb issues for the number fluxuation

6.27@107
9.97@131
Old 05-26-2020, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Be easy on Judes guys, he just bought his engine dyno and is learning as he goes. Its no different than tying your shoes for the first time. Obviously we can't know or do everything perfect the very first time attempting it. Honestly, this will probably shed more light on how these heads perform than if someone with more experience were doing it. Judes has not even changed a single part yet from the original recipe and is making good gains. He set his goal high, but this is only R&D for his program and it is also going to be helpful for anyone who follows. He is not doing a one and done to get a bragging sheet, but to actually gain knowledge. So be thankful Judes is sharing all of his data even if it isn't perfect. He's a sharp guy and will get it sorted out. The best part is he is willing to share with all of us so we get to see it all unfold.

Like Bill C stated. I think he didn't have the dyno set properly at first for the dual carbs. It does look like he noticed that now and the one carb is using more fuel it appears. That can be caused by a couple of different things. That carb may have a bad needle and seat or possibly to high of a float setting. Or if he has two regulators maybe the pressure is to high ???

Please be respectful & patient, and enjoy the fact that he is willing to share it all good or bad.

Thanks for following

330-628-3354 cell
Designer if the DCI Tiger Heads and the NEW DCI Ram Air 5 Heads !!!!!
Old 05-26-2020, 11:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I will be following the progress. Is there a link to the build? Did he share cam specs or head flow information? Nice job on hitting 900 with it.

Old 05-26-2020, 12:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Stoneburg View Post
I will be following the progress. Is there a link to the build? Did he share cam specs or head flow information? Nice job on hitting 900 with it.
He has not shared all the engines spec's yet. You can follow him on Facebook Here the spec's I know.
Compression 10.3 to 1
Heads flow 450 @ .900"
Cam 272, 288 @ .050
Rockers 1.85 T&D
Cubic inches 535
Block Aluminum
Heads DCI RA5
Valves Int 2.300, Exh 1.74

I think he plans on increasing the compression to 11.5 eventually. He is also testing with multiple different carburetor set ups. Not sure, but maybe different header sizes too.

330-628-3354 cell
Old 05-26-2020, 12:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dci View Post
He has not shared all the engines spec's yet. You can follow him on Facebook Here the spec's I know.
Compression 10.3 to 1
Heads flow 450 @ .900"
Cam 272, 288 @ .050
Rockers 1.85 T&D
Cubic inches 535
Block Aluminum
Heads DCI RA5
Valves Int 2.300, Exh 1.74

I think he plans on increasing the compression to 11.5 eventually. He is also testing with multiple different carburetor set ups. Not sure, but maybe different header sizes too.
Cool, thanks

Old 05-26-2020, 03:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Be easy on Judes guys, he just bought his engine dyno and is learning as he goes. Its no different than tying your shoes for the first time. Obviously we can't know or do everything perfect the very first time attempting it. Honestly, this will probably shed more light on how these heads perform than if someone with more experience were doing it. Judes has not even changed a single part yet from the original recipe and is making good gains. He set his goal high, but this is only R&D for his program and it is also going to be helpful for anyone who follows. He is not doing a one and done to get a bragging sheet, but to actually gain knowledge. So be thankful Judes is sharing all of his data even if it isn't perfect. He's a sharp guy and will get it sorted out. The best part is he is willing to share with all of us so we get to see it all unfold.

Like Bill C stated. I think he didn't have the dyno set properly at first for the dual carbs. It does look like he noticed that now and the one carb is using more fuel it appears. That can be caused by a couple of different things. That carb may have a bad needle and seat or possibly to high of a float setting. Or if he has two regulators maybe the pressure is to high ???

Please be respectful & patient, and enjoy the fact that he is willing to share it all good or bad.

Thanks for following
Hey Don, those 4.35 bore Ross pistons and ring set I sold you, Are they in this build ? If not, how did the build turn out with them ?
At any rate I am glad they were put to good use even though I kinda wish I still had them.

Old 05-27-2020, 11:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dragncar, this build didn't get those pistons. Those went into another 535 RA5 build for a guy out west. Super fast street car on pump gas. It's probably making around the same power as Judes deal. I think the car weighs around 3500 so should go low nines high eights in the 1/4.. I may never know though, because he's a street racer and doesn't like to share times or numbers.

330-628-3354 cell
Old 05-27-2020, 01:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Dragncar, this build didn't get those pistons. Those went into another 535 RA5 build for a guy out west. Super fast street car on pump gas. It's probably making around the same power as Judes deal. I think the car weighs around 3500 so should go low nines high eights in the 1/4.. I may never know though, because he's a street racer and doesn't like to share times or numbers.
The heads are coming into their own Don, its nice to see. With all these higher HP builds going on, is the head gasket being routinely changed a thing of the past now ? Goal achieved ?

Old 05-27-2020, 01:52 PM
Suspended

I thought Pontiac head gaskets were only an issue 1050 ~Ish HP and higher.. Never heard of 9something HP having an issue.

Old 05-27-2020, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I think John is referring to this sheet
Nice!
Suprised that baby cam made that much power.
Guessing will needs larger headers too...

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 05-27-2020, 04:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Region Warrior View Post
Nice!
Suprised that baby cam made that much power.
Guessing will needs larger headers too...
At .900+ lift it isn't all that baby. It is good results with plenty to come im guessing

Old 05-27-2020, 04:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastry_chef View Post
I thought Pontiac head gaskets were only an issue 1050 ~Ish HP and higher.. Never heard of 9something HP having an issue.
Dragncar is in the know, so he knows what issues there are

Old 05-27-2020, 05:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
At .900+ lift it isn't all that baby. It is good results with plenty to come im guessing
Don't know the entire build.
Has .900 lift now? Or flows 450 cfm @ .900?
Know its not a baby, and not a max effort build, maybe just conservative side?
Seen 272/288's in E-heads that flow 330 cfm...

Thanks.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 05-27-2020, 11:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Dragncar is in the know, so he knows what issues there are
pastry_chef is a honorable poster and one smart guy. He meant no disrespect by his post. But you come along.....
My question was in general. This is a fairly high HP build and there has got to be others higher. Wondering how they were doing with head gaskets. So I asked.
Heads I have were changed every 25 passes but it was sprayed too.

Old 05-28-2020, 11:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Don is that Cris Uratchkos intake?