Old 05-29-2020, 08:22 AM
Senior Chief

Default 65 tripower float level

....i know its often discussed but i want to correctly measure...

alll the threads help some and videos..but im really puzzles cause thers a lot of controversy...i want the centercarb 21/32 and the outercarbs 23/32....
but from where should i measure...from the bowlhousing with gasket in place to the float..but where is the measuring point on the float ...the factory manual has a fixed measuring metal tool with the correct float height size and and say measure from the gasketsurface to the seam of the float...and the seam should be parallell to housing gasket surface....haha...so its sensless to measure a certain float height when it should be parallel to the seam...makes no sense ...if a change the float level recommendations up and down it could not be parallel..if this is the case where is the measuring point on the float!!!!!! There are different FLOATS with different shapes and also small and big ones ...so theres a lot of error regarding the fuelheight....whers the measuring point on the float at lest at the original float.....pic would clear a lot....thanks...robert

Old 05-29-2020, 08:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This "How To" video is pretty clear on the correct procedure, and where to measure the float levels using either the brass float, or the plastic float:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBXEdOPvUpU

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 05-29-2020, 09:42 AM
Senior Chief

thanks i know this video he measures aproxximately at middle of the seam but he says later in the video it should be paralell to the gasket surface...if its so theres only one fixed float level for this carburetor or its never paralell also if he onlx measures aproximately at the middle theres could also be a false reading or float level...also this video is the only one who talks about the middle of the seam all other instruction never talk about this measurering point so im a little frustrated.....

Old 05-29-2020, 10:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You can bend the float arm to make it roughly level initially, then make the adjustment using the tab that sits on the needle.

FWIW, most times if you have any float, parallel to the top, it will work correctly. In the field where you don't have access to every spec for every carb at your fingertips, making the float, level, while inverted is a pretty safe bet it will work fine. You're not checking engine bearing clearances here, you're setting a float level, no need to be within a thousandth.

The gasoline is a fluid, it is moving within the bowl as you drive and brake, as long as it's close it will work. The important thing is the level is not so high as to run gas into the venturis at low demand.

I've rebuilt many hundreds of carbs in the last 50 years, and the float level isn't the most critical adjustment on the carb. If it's close, you won't have any problems.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 05-29-2020, 11:47 AM
Senior Chief

...thanks for your Inputs....then i adjust the float with the Seam parallel with the gasket surface and hope the best....

Old 05-29-2020, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchorob View Post
...thanks for your Inputs....then i adjust the float with the Seam parallel with the gasket surface and hope the best....
If I was doing it, say in the pits at a race, or on the side of the road, that would be the method I would use. I used to do road service on all kinds of equipment, so I usually didn't have factory specs for each carb with me. Setting a float level, will usually work if you don't have ideal conditions, measurement devices, or the exact specs.

Doing the adjustment on a bench, I would first level the float in comparison to the top to start with, then bend the tang that rests on the needle to get the measurement desired at approximately the middle of the float. If you level the float before you make the final adjustment it will probably not be parallel to the top when you're finished, that's fine.

As you can see in the video it's not an exact scientific method, it's a good way to get it close to where the factory desires it to be. If you follow the procedure in the video you should be fine doing the measurements he uses, which were the same ones you first cited.

Adjusting float drop should also be done before you re-assemble the carb. It's important for 2 reasons, you need enough spacing between the needle and seat to allow a good flow of fuel, and you don't want it to drop so far as to cock the needle in the seat causing a flooding potential. It's just as important as float level is.

1984 Grand Prix

Last edited by Sirrotica; 05-29-2020 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-29-2020, 01:39 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks all for this satisfiing explanation..the way i like.....thanks alot.....

Old 05-29-2020, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1984 Grand Prix