Old 10-24-2021, 11:13 PM

Default Vinyl top adhesive

my 67 will be painted this week. First thing i'm going to do is install a new vinyl top. Does anyone have suggestions as to what kind of adhesive to use? With so many products out there these days, I'm sure some of these are much better than they were back in the day

Old 10-25-2021, 12:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been eyeballing the DAP vinyl top adhesive ... sold by the gallon for about $60 w/shipping most places. Would be nice if I could use it for the headliner too, but I'm not sure if it's suitable for that.

I hear you definitely want something "high temp" for both vinyl top and headliner.

Headliner will be here in a couple of weeks, gotta pull the trigger on something soon, would be nice if I could use it for both jobs.

You going with a "standard" vinyl top or the "correct" stuff for about three times more? This is a case where I'll probably spring for the "correct" stuff, mostly because it has the right backing on it, same as OEM.

Old 10-25-2021, 04:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

See post #12 in this thread where I did mine.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=665044

ESPECIALLY SEE where the wax paper needs to be doubled back on itself!

The Following User Says Thank You to Old Goat 67 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2021, 12:41 PM

Default vinyl top adhesive

Thanks to both of you for the replies. I'm going with the "good" vinyl top as i'm doing a complete restoration and i want it correct. Also, i remember now that i had seen the old post with pics about the proceedure to install the top. Very good post. The landau top adhesive will be here this friday, just in time! Another thing i have is the newer book in the restoration series by Fred Mattson. It's called "How to install Automotive Interior Kits". This book is a great source of information.

Old 10-25-2021, 03:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Old Goat ... would you say the same glue is suitable for use on the headliner?

Old 10-25-2021, 07:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Uh, can't say there. It's really good stuff for the top, but I used 3M spray for the headliner.

Wouldn't hurt to try a small piece to see.

Old 10-25-2021, 09:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettdr View Post
my 67 will be painted this week. First thing i'm going to do is install a new vinyl top. Does anyone have suggestions as to what kind of adhesive to use? With so many products out there these days, I'm sure some of these are much better than they were back in the day

Is your roof getting painted? Because your new paint job will need time to evaporate or "breathe" the solvents out, you can do something that will help in two ways.

Using 600 grit, scuff/sand the area to be covered by vinyl and let it sit uncovered for at least 30 days. This helps trapped solvents escape plus adds adhesion for the glue to bond later.

The Following User Says Thank You to 400 4spd. For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2021, 05:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good point!

Old 10-26-2021, 07:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
I've been eyeballing the DAP vinyl top adhesive ... sold by the gallon for about $60 w/shipping most places. Would be nice if I could use it for the headliner too, but I'm not sure if it's suitable for that.

I hear you definitely want something "high temp" for both vinyl top and headliner.

Headliner will be here in a couple of weeks, gotta pull the trigger on something soon, would be nice if I could use it for both jobs.

You going with a "standard" vinyl top or the "correct" stuff for about three times more? This is a case where I'll probably spring for the "correct" stuff, mostly because it has the right backing on it, same as OEM.
I bought a gallon of that DAP vinyl top adhesive. Didnt need that much but I wanted a good glue for some of the headliner edges that needed to be glued on my 70 GTO. I hadnt heard great things about some of the other adhesives mentioned and great things about the DAP so i just bought the whole gallon so I guess ive got plenty til it goes bad.Worked great on the headliner edges.

The Following User Says Thank You to scott70 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2021, 07:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Scott ... excellent, just what I wanted to hear since I bought a gallon I plan on using on the top and headliner.