THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:39 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulatFast View Post
I can hear Mike now, "If you guys weren't always such assholes, your friends might miss you someday too!" A friend to all, never heard him talk bad about anybody that didn't deserve it. Straight shooter, stand-up guy. Firm honest handshake. Booming voice, spoke from the heart. An example for us all. God Speed Mike.
Truer words were never spoken! Why are real people so hard to find? Maybe it's the fake ones that get so damn offended so easily? Dear God, I loved that man - remember the PY BBQ from several years ago, we sat in lawn chairs, told stories, people watched, and laughed and laughed and laughed. Mike could spot a poser a mile away and had a memory like an elephant.

Mike set an amazing example for all of us that were fortunate enough to see him in his last weeks. He was in more pain than he ever let on. The truth? The abdominal tumors were multiplying amazingly, frighteningly fast, generating swelling and 2-4 liters of fluid in the abdomen per day. The Sunday morning after the Eastern Pontiac contingent went home (Don Keefe, et al.), Mike told me he felt the cartilage separate from his ribs from the pressure - and still he received visitors, still stayed positive. He DESPISED the hospice folks; their care was less than...proactive is a nice word. (Meaning, the positive attitude was not the result of good pain control via narcotics since hospice's dose was less than his hospital dose.) Mike learned the inevitable diagnosis, got his affairs in order in efficient, speedy Nixon manner, and concentrated on filling his home with positive energy. He married the love of his life, and developed a plan to care for her and his boys.

In short, he made the minutes count.

Mike's posted here before about the ghosts of family that inhabit the old homestead where he lived, was married, and died. Scroll back to the picture of Mike's marriage. I see at least five orbs there, and I was standing just to the right of the photographer. There was no dust floating in that room, no cold spots, just lots of warmth and friends and family. The Nixon property goes back to a 1832 land grant; with many generations of Nixons there, in the comfortable old house made of native black walnut with oak trim.

I'll be waiting for your visit, Mike.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:40 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I know Mike is in a better place but may GOD comfort his family and friends. He will be missed by many, but not forgotten. Mike will live on in our hearts and minds.

GODSPEED my friend.

----------------------------------------------------------

2004 Grand Prix GT daily driver
1974 LeMans GT 455
Old 04-04-2014, 07:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Prayers sent for family and friends. You will be missed.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

R.I.P. Nixon

Old 04-04-2014, 07:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We should all be so lucky to be remembered like this.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 04-04-2014, 07:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Somebody sticky the arrangements.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

God Bless you Nixon and the ones close to you.

Mike introduced himself to my wife and I at Norwalk at our T shirt booth quite a few years ago and made it a point to stop over and buy a shirt or two every year and we usually shot the breeze for a half hour or so. We ran into him at many Pontiac functions and always had nice friendly conversations.

If anyone had a question on the forum about an IH anything, Mike was the guy to ask. I daresay he liked IH products as much as Pontiacs. Mike was also ahead of his time as far as Pontiac patina goes, he had patina on his rides before patina was cool.

Mike you will be missed by so many of the Pontiac brethren here and throughout the hobby. I hope heaven has a huge Pontiac meet for you to enjoy every day, and maybe they still make Pontiacs up there because their are no shortsighted idiots to close down the iconic brand.................

We all only have so many days here on earth and we should look to Mike Nixon as an example to make the most out of all of them.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 04-04-2014, 08:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

RIP Mike. I never met the man, but reading the posts on this board I know that he was a great person and friend to all in the Pontiac community. Prayers for his wife, children, family, and friends.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Farewell Mike. I am a better man after having known you.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My condolences to his family and countless friends..
RIP Mike....

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 04-04-2014, 08:42 AM

RIP Mike. I hope to meet up with you in a few years.
Please post information regarding his burial. I would like to visit sometime and place some Pontiac stuff.
Cliff

Old 04-04-2014, 08:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by herdswoman View Post
Mike set an amazing example for all of us that were fortunate enough to see him in his last weeks. He was in more pain than he ever let on. The truth? The abdominal tumors were multiplying amazingly, frighteningly fast, generating swelling and 2-4 liters of fluid in the abdomen per day.
When we were leaving Sunday, I bent down and Mike put his hands up to stop me and said "I'm not up to hugs any more, Rustie." and I responded, "I was going to give you a kiss, is that ok?" and he grinned and said, "Well hell yeah. Rob, don't watch."

I knew then he was in a lot of pain. He winced every time he moved. If it was going to end badly,at least it ended quickly.

DONE 11.738 @ 114 mph

See my thread in Best Pontiac Stories
http://forums.performanceyears.com/f...d.php?t=598985

Mrs. Rob B as of 9/25/2010

THE BEAR KILLER
Old 04-04-2014, 09:01 AM

Default praying for family

Never had a chance to meet but I did correspond a few years back.
Praying for his wife and family.
May God Bless
Mark Stephens

Old 04-04-2014, 09:08 AM
formerly Steved400

Send a message via Yahoo to Steve Hoog

This is the post I was dreading!

Old 04-04-2014, 09:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Prayers and condolences sent out to Mike's family. The speed with which this all
transpired is shocking to say the least. I never met Mike but I can tell from all the posts by
people who knew him he was a great guy and he will remain alive in many people's thoughts
for many years to come. Let's celebrate a life well lived!

Old 04-04-2014, 09:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

RIP Mr.Nixon

Old 04-04-2014, 09:32 AM

RIP Mike. God Bless

Old 04-04-2014, 09:33 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
God Bless you Nixon and the ones close to you.

Mike was also ahead of his time as far as Pontiac patina goes, he had patina on his rides before patina was cool.

We all only have so many days here on earth and we should look to Mike Nixon as an example to make the most out of all of them.
Loved the way he put his unwashed GP in the car show every year at Norwalk, to get a better parking spot. He never said "better parking spot for Tray and the wheelchair", just "parking spot". One of the little nuances that made a big difference in how he looked at making the best out of all the days and all his circumstances. It was how he rolled.

God speed and God bless, old friend.

Let go of pain, give faith the reins; and let that pony run.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow. There are no words...

except to say "ditto, ditto, ditto" to those already spoken.

This is happening all too frequently. 65Mark, Mike, and a friend here at home (diagnosed on Monday, gone on Wednesday).

Mike showed us all how to make the minutes count.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 04-04-2014, 10:15 AM
PY VIP

I have to say, I am heartbroken. I am usually one for long tomes about this and that but today, I am just numb and kind of disoriented. Life will go on but it will be tough this summer going to all the shows and knowing Mike won't be there. He was always a bright spot to every trip. I am just in no mood to do much of anything today...

Founding Editor-in-Chief, Poncho Perfection Magazine (October 1, 2015- present)
www.ponchoperfection.com
Contributing Editor: Collectible Automobile (1999- present)

Author:
"Grand Prix: Pontiac's Luxury Performance Car" (Released April 27, 2007)
"How to Restore Your Pontiac GTO" (Released July 15, 2012)
"Pontiac Concept and Show Cars, 1939-1980" (Release Date April, 2016)

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."