Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg
Default PayPal expert?

I have two questions. Most of you know I set up a PayPal account to collect money for Pontiac Dude.

I just received money, but unlike every other transaction this one tells me that I need to "Claim your money"? The e-mail shows this, if I log into PayPal there is no record of it? Scam?

And 2, What is the best way to move the money to Pontiac Dude?

Thanks!

Old 01-16-2015, 11:49 PM
Senior Chief

Default paypal

First off its a scam, if you click on claim your money it wants you to login to paypal which gives the crooks your id and password. Also be careful as paypal will 1099 you if you have over 200 transactions or collect over a certain amount of money. In my case after 20k I get 1099.

69 RA V JUDGE
70 RA III 4- SPEED CONV. GTO
73 FIREBIRD
98 MUSTANG CONV
05 LEXUS SC430 CONV
08 LEXUS ES350
15 SILVERADO
Old 01-17-2015, 01:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

I thought it might be, thanks for confirming.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Also, be VERY careful about phony PayPal e-mails. Hackers send out e-mails claiming your account has been suspended, or that you are being sued, etc. Do NOT click on anything inside these e-mails. They are trying to get you log into your PayPal via their e-mail, and once you do that, they have your password, and then they can clear out your bank account.

PayPal is separate now from E-Bay (sold off), so they are basically just another transaction processor. As PayPal's popularity has exploded, hackers have launched focused attacks on those people that previously just used PayPal for E-Bay purchases.

Just received an e-mail from <PayPal.admin.support.co.uk@gmx.co.uk> claiming my account was suspended.

Best thing to do in this case is sign OUT of your e-mail, close your browser, then log into your PayPal account, check your status. Then sign out, go back into your e-mail, and delete the hacker e-mail (or mark it as SPAM).

PayPal will never ask you for your password (or to log in), and will never have an attachment within their official e-mails.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

To me, the best way to get money to him would be hand deliver cash. If that is not an option then maybe a bank check or money order?

Old 01-26-2015, 02:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink

I would send him a money order. as said above thay are eazy to cash and you get a receipt.