THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-02-2019, 10:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I saw a guy shut his hood at a show, he had a die cast on the air cleaner. Not sure what happed to the hood, but the Jeggs aircleaner was dented. Lmao

At another show, a guy was “ clocking” his valve stems. Jacking up his car, spinning his tires. the show area is on a incline. Luckily his chair and cooler was in the back, or he would have rolled into someone’s car. So I’ll add clocking wheels to the stupid list. The stuff behind his car was pretty crushed, it was pretty funny.

And putting coors beer in a ta is on the list.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 12-02-2019, 10:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by indymanjoe View Post
Car shows baffle me. That's 8hrs? I could be driving my car. Not sitting in an asphalt parking lot with loud crappy old music blasting from some DJ's speaker dictating what they think is good music. Then add the attitudes of the check writers and the lawn chair quarterbacks about what is Correct and what is not. Cars are like your babys,only you love it that much,the rest don't care. The stuffed animals, trophys from the past and fake food is funny as hell to me. Not my cup of tea but I won't knock others from doing it.
I do go to 3 a year.5 if ya count woodward and back to the bricks in flint. And the1st 3 are Pontiac shows.
but im usually gone after an hour or so..headed to a track to have some fun with my car..as it was built for.
Like the show in Dayton, people sit on the hot black top and wipe their cars all weekend, put plastic bags on that blow off into other peoples cars, I like a cars and coffee, stop in, shoot the ****, have a coffee, be home by 11am. I’m just off Woodward, stop in my C&C Joe.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 12-02-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burd View Post
I saw a guy shut his hood at a show, he had a die cast on the air cleaner. Not sure what happed to the hood, but the Jeggs aircleaner was dented. Lmao

At another show, a guy was “ clocking” his valve stems. Jacking up his car, spinning his tires. the show area is on a incline. Luckily his chair and cooler was in the back, or he would have rolled into someone’s car. So I’ll add clocking wheels to the stupid list. The stuff behind his car was pretty crushed, it was pretty funny.

And putting coors beer in a ta is on the list.

Huh? Diecast on the aircleaner? Hell ya I do. . I’ll admit it I like a few little accessories I’ve actually had many likes on it matching my car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2BAB9007-D058-4815-98F7-797FB9502750.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	525884  

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 12-02-2019, 11:37 AM

The awards however, stay on the wall. I can’t imagine hauling them all to an event. these are a few, I generally keep them displayed for 2 years, then donate them to organizations such as special Olympics, dirt track racing, midget racing, they change the plaquards, and the kids get a special award in the events they are involved in. I only keep the speciality ones. Never intended to even do shows, until people kept at me to go to a few. Then I loved the people so much the rest is history. to date the 69 has won 207 awards since 1990.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D276D5E6-1ED3-4768-BC1B-A4B3583957DE.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	525885  

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 12-02-2019, 12:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I truly dig show cars, done well. The hours, effort, preservation of the breed, all noble. To me a restored car is like a reference book, or history frozen in time. Really doesn't get better for the hobby to have these cars. Having said all that, I've never had the talent, energy, knowledge, etc to have a car that was show grade underside especially.

So that world is one I don't know or experience. I have questions for you show car people, and there is no judgement, but stuff maybe rooted in assumptions.....

Was a show car your initial goal? Or did it evolve into one? Do you really drive your show car? Limited use on only certain roads? Miles per year? If driven, how do you deal with pretty underside? Have a lift to enable cleaning? My take is the higher caliber the show, the more critical the undersides become in judging. To my eye, many top cars don't get driven. At some point it becomes a full scale model. Again, if that is goal, we historically need these cars.

Also to me, a "trophy" question is a loaded one. It is easy to get a trunk load of local small show trophies in all the Podunk Montana shows, but a trunk load of trophies from large so-Cal shows means something else.

Old 12-02-2019, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	16F67650-ABD7-4632-BDC3-1B1F4E7DAD9E.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	525889  

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 12-02-2019, 01:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Like the show in Dayton, people sit on the hot black top and wipe their cars all weekend, ...
for me, a show like Dayton (I'm glad I checked it out prior to it moving to an actual asphalt parking lot btw!) is one of those things that a real big Firebird fan should take in at least once;
no matter where you are, odds are there are few cars like yours around;
But the Dayton show is a whole other thing - it's a sea of them!

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 12-02-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:

I don’t kiss mine, but I know a Camaro guy who does.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 12-02-2019, 03:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
for me, a show like Dayton (I'm glad I checked it out prior to it moving to an actual asphalt parking lot btw!) is one of those things that a real big Firebird fan should take in at least once;
no matter where you are, odds are there are few cars like yours around;
But the Dayton show is a whole other thing - it's a sea of them!

I’ll call it the Dayton Bird show. It’s not a national event. Same crappy location year after year. Maybe move it Norwalk at least.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 12-02-2019, 04:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Burd, you don't need to keep running down car shows...we get it, you don't like them. There's no point in trying to stir things up.

Old 12-02-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Burd, you don't need to keep running down car shows...we get it, you don't like them. There's no point in trying to stir things up.

I like car shows Stuart

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 12-02-2019, 05:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I like car a Show. Just no hillbilly ones.
More list:

Smokey and the bandit stuff
Fake Royal Items
New Camaros, vettes, mopars.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 12-02-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
I like car a Show. Just no hillbilly ones.
More list:

Smokey and the bandit stuff
Fake Royal Items
New Camaros, vettes, mopars.

I’m putting a cowboy hat on my roof when I start showing my TA.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 12-02-2019, 05:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lol.

How about going to stock class and not seeing anything stock.

Here’s one I saw at the GTO natz. Zip lock bags on the gas, brake and clutch pedals. So they don’t get scuffed. Lol

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 12-02-2019, 05:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I saw a guy shut his hood at a show, he had a die cast on the air cleaner. Not sure what happed to the hood, but the Jeggs aircleaner was dented. Lmao.
I really don't like to see the hoods up at a car show.

I want to see the car, not the engine. If I'm by my car and someone wants to see under the hood, I'll gladly oblige. But afterwards, the hood goes back down so people can see the car's lines.

It's like looking at a pretty girl - she's still a pretty girl while sticking her tongue out - but you really can't tell for sure:

Old 12-02-2019, 06:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I really don't care either way on the awards.

I do like to see memorabilia displays (owner's manual, bill-of-sale, sales brochure, shop manual,etc.). Generally means the exhibitor is really into old cars, rather than someone who just bought a restored car.

I tend to be more "hostile" to exhibitors that show non-stock cars in stock classes, but only in my thoughts. Learned long ago the only words one speaks to an exhibitor is praise (unless one is a judge).

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 12-02-2019, 06:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Love car shows. I will look at folder on the restoration once in awhile. Don’t like blacktop. Love shooting the breeze with my car buddies. Don’t understand why when you have a $ 100,000 car that you feel the need to put a model of it on the roof or air cleaner to draw attention. I’ll never understand the stuffed animal, tiger tail stuff. I’m sure I’ll think of more but I’m on the Burd wagon this time.

Old 12-02-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbking View Post
I really don't care either way on the awards.

I do like to see memorabilia displays (owner's manual, bill-of-sale, sales brochure, shop manual,etc.). Generally means the exhibitor is really into old cars, rather than someone who just bought a restored car.

I tend to be more "hostile" to exhibitors that show non-stock cars in stock classes, but only in my thoughts. Learned long ago the only words one speaks to an exhibitor is praise (unless one is a judge).

Jon.

Trust me even some guys judging don’t know what they’re looking at. I was at an AACA judged show. That means points judged. As the two elderly AACA judges did their thing, I said nothing. Then they approach me and say, “we have to dock points off because your car is modified” I ask, where is it modified Sirs? Well.... “you have chrome valve covers and a chrome air cleaner lid”

I say...no disrespect Sirs, but did you happen to notice this is a factory 400 car? The chrome is part of the 400 package, as is the hood scoops, arrow head emblem on the front bumper, wood grain dash and console and I went on.

They said they would be back, and they were back apologizing to me, and my car placed in the class, second place. Point taken.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 12-02-2019, 06:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don’t like this
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4E38C513-6D82-4053-A5A3-8D4242939A81.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	525910  

Old 12-02-2019, 06:24 PM

This is getting a bit off topic......but Champ while I can appreciate your opinion about the hood up, MOST judged shows require hoods and trunks to be open, sometimes even doors. Tops on convertibles up some even check trunks. Even spectators like to see how people do their engines, back to factory like my cars are...or modified.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA