THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-02-2019, 11:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Telephone calls

We are increasingly being bombarded by telephone calls with "unknown name" or "invalid name"* or "private" on caller ID.

The other day, just to get some statistics, I answered all within a day. There were 18 of which 17 were "garbage" calls, either robocalls, or a person wanted to scam us.

The one that was legitimate was an auto parts house that came up unknown. I asked the individual about it, and he said he would refer the question to their tech department.

We are now ignoring calls with*"unknown name" or "invalid name"* or "private" on caller ID. If you should call us during normal telephone hours, and get our recording, would suggest you check how your telephone is configured.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 11-02-2019, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, I have also went to No Answer if No Recognize. If it is important, they leave a message. After years of refusing to, I see the value of texting also. It is quick, boom, efficient. Like!

Old 11-02-2019, 01:45 PM

I’m getting them now where the caller ID says it’s from a place I’ve been to example..... call from, St. Luke’s Hospital, then when I say hello, it’s some company telling me my extended warranty on my car is almost expired. How do they do that?

Last week got one that said...call from Michael Grey, and when I answered it it was a robo saying they were a real estate Co. and they had a buyer for our house. it’s out of control! Saw something on the news the other day, and they said if you pick up, never say hello first, because there are people trying to get your voice then pairing it up with scammers who can use it somehow to ok a purchase or contracts of some kind.

I usually do not answer any number I don’t recognize but now the calls come in as people or places I’ve been then it’s scam crap anyway. and not who it says it is.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 11-02-2019, 02:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjHyO0BRB0w

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 11-02-2019, 03:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In the past I never answered that type of call but now my doctor comes up "unknown".

Old 11-02-2019, 03:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

During the last election I was bombarded with political calls on my house phone which I rarely use; so I unplugged it. A few months after the election I remembered it was unplugged and thought, why do I still need this? So after 25 years of use I dropped my house phone and now rely on my cell. Its an I-Phone 10 which does a good job of screening robo calls. Every robo number that calls, I can block.

I also put a name on every person or company I do business with so I can see right away who's calling. If its an unknown number I let it go to message where I let the caller know to leave a message and I'll call back. Robo calls never do.
I know that may be difficult to do as a small business but I've noticed more and more small businesses are doing exactly that. I think most of us understand that and would have no problem leaving a message for the business to listen to and filter.

You just have to be proactive and fight back as much as possible. Doesn't stop them completely but I've gone from over 20 or more calls a day to just 3 or 4.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 11-02-2019, 07:31 PM

If it were up to me I’d drop the land line, but we have family who are so old school they still use rabbit ears on their TV’s. No cell phones or computers, so we keep it for them.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 11-02-2019, 08:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One man shop situation. I average 6-10 spam calls every day during the week, 4-5 on the weekends. If my phone can't ID the caller, or I don't recognize it, I let it go to voice mail. Also, I am texting more and more. It does save time.

Old 11-02-2019, 08:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Recently, I strung along some caller in my fake Eastern-Indian accent. Guy dropped the F bomb at me. Best laugh I have had in ages!

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
The Following User Says Thank You to 694.1 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2019, 09:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Same here. I don't get as many on my home phone as I do on my business line. Some of the calls show as a local # of someone I know. When I answer I say hello and if they don't answer right away I hang up. Problem with my business line is that I don't have caller ID on it (phone company wanted $16 per month!) so I let all calls go to voice mail. It tells them to go to my website (they have to end up there anyway). I may lose a customer occasionally, but if they can't follow instructions I don't know if want them anyway.

The scam is when a caller asks you 'can you hear me' never answer yes. They will record it and use it to obligate you for something you didn't want.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 11-02-2019, 10:09 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG68 View Post
During the last election I was bombarded with political calls on my house phone which I rarely use; so I unplugged it. A few months after the election I remembered it was unplugged and thought, why do I still need this? So after 25 years of use I dropped my house phone and now rely on my cell. Its an I-Phone 10 which does a good job of screening robo calls. Every robo number that calls, I can block.

I also put a name on every person or company I do business with so I can see right away who's calling. If its an unknown number I let it go to message where I let the caller know to leave a message and I'll call back. Robo calls never do.
I know that may be difficult to do as a small business but I've noticed more and more small businesses are doing exactly that. I think most of us understand that and would have no problem leaving a message for the business to listen to and filter.

You just have to be proactive and fight back as much as possible. Doesn't stop them completely but I've gone from over 20 or more calls a day to just 3 or 4.
I removed my landline about 6 years ago. One of the best things I've ever done. I have prolly 60 people & business numbers on my contact list. I don't answer unknown calls. If they call more than once and fail to leave a message I then block that number. It has proved to be an effective method. I get maybe 1 unknown caller a month.

Old 11-02-2019, 11:36 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbking View Post
We are increasingly being bombarded by telephone calls with "unknown name" or "invalid name"* or "private" on caller ID.

The other day, just to get some statistics, I answered all within a day. There were 18 of which 17 were "garbage" calls, either robocalls, or a person wanted to scam us.

The one that was legitimate was an auto parts house that came up unknown. I asked the individual about it, and he said he would refer the question to their tech department.

We are now ignoring calls with*"unknown name" or "invalid name"* or "private" on caller ID. If you should call us during normal telephone hours, and get our recording, would suggest you check how your telephone is configured.

Jon.
The Missouri State Lottery Commission will most likely try to call you next week to inform you that you have the winning number to a multi-million dollar prize, but the ticket will be void by Friday. Of course they use Unknown numbers to call prize winner to avoid too many unnecessary call backs.

Old 11-02-2019, 11:40 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwmailman View Post
I removed my landline about 6 years ago. .
Daddy, Exactly what is a landline? my 21 year old daughter just asked me. Can I have her call you?

Old 11-03-2019, 05:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Simple solution is ... everyone that I care to hear from is in my caller list, if I don't see a name I know pop up .... I don't answer, if it's for real, they can leave a message.

Old 11-03-2019, 08:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have not answered a/my phone in decades. My call message informs callers,
that if they need/want a call back to leave their name with a brief message.
If they don't I apply a block.

Old 11-03-2019, 09:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Box Rebel View Post
The Missouri State Lottery Commission will most likely try to call you next week to inform you that you have the winning number to a multi-million dollar prize, but the ticket will be void by Friday. Of course they use Unknown numbers to call prize winner to avoid too many unnecessary call backs.
If they do, it will be because they assigned me a number. I work too hard for my income to squander it on the lottery.

Jon

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"Stop what you're doing now and .....

Old 11-03-2019, 10:30 AM

You ever get The call the IRS is coming after you. I have a few times. I screen all my calls if I don't know the number. It's a big problem. Leave a message if its important. The problem about loosing your land line is if there is some type of emergency Like 9/11/2001 or fire like in CA etc, and your cell phone line goes down you won't have any service to call for help.

Old 11-03-2019, 11:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
"Stop what you're doing now and .....
Yup. My wife and kids scramble if their phone rings. I don’t even answer mine 1/2 the time. If I’m in the middle of something I tell them if it’s important, they can leave a message.
The worst is when I’m at the counter somewhere being helped. The phone rings and the employee expects me to stand there and wait now while he helps the person on the phone. Put the guy on hold! I’ve walked out many times. It’s just rude.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 11-03-2019, 12:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Set up cell phone with 2 different ring tones..one for contacts, and one for ??. I generally ignore the ??, and if legitimate, they can leave voice mail.
Land line (vol ip) through comcast has call blockers,and they seem to stop most of that nonsense, but oddly enough, they also block numbers from the NRA to which I belong, and Republican related calls! Incoming calls are displayed on the TV while ringing or being blocked.
Some other party affiliated calls do get through though!! Hmmmm?

68 GTO