THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-03-2019, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Break Down Stories....

I did this about 10 years ago and there were some good ones.

I’ve been well blessed. The GTO has been fairly reliable.

About 10 years ago I was enjoying a little chemo for B cell non Hodgkin’s lymphoma. I wasn’t driving the car that much and had an opportunity to drive it across town to drop my youngest off at baseball practice. It was dark and the car ran well over and to within a few blocks of the house. Coming down Forest Road, one of the 2 lanes through Pleasant Grove, running about the 45mph speed limit, the engine just shut off. Dead. Silence. At that time I had a Turbo 400, so I slipped it into neutral and managed to coast to the entrance to my neighborhood and pulled over. I looked around with my flashlight but the energy level was low. I walked the 4ish blocks home. I coached the wife into pulling it home with the truck while I steered the car and I parked it in front of the house....which is downhill just enough to coast me into the driveway. I remember sending the wife in while I unhooked the rope from the GTO. I just laid in the road for a bit. Later the boys came home and I coasted the car close to the basement and then we pushed it in. I forget how long, but some days later I found a wire had gotten on the headers and shorted itself apart. I still didn’t have enough energy to fix it but I knew what had happened.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I took my girlfriend out with the intention of proposing. My car at the time was a 95 Firehawk 6 speed in bright red. The opti started to go out and we coasted into a parking lot. I decided then just to go for it.

She said yes and I said ‘great, now you’ll never make me sell this car!’

16 years later we still have it....

The Following User Says Thank You to 1965gp For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 01:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

After purchasing my latest 71 GTO this past summer, I was driving home to AZ from IL. About 11:00 am, cruising across I-40 and 75 miles short of Amarillo, the 90+ degree Texas sun finally did its work and the car started to vapor lock. Fortunately it limped the 1/4 mile to the first available exit, and I was able to get it parked under a shade tree behind the local quickie mart. One block away, there was a generic auto parts store.

After some quick troubleshooting, I found a bent (and nearly crimped shut) fuel line between the carb and fuel pump. So I walked to the store, sourced a 6 foot section of fuel hose, a Q-jet spacer gasket, a couple fittings, and a can of hand cleaner. Fortunately, the guy I bought the car from had given me a spare (big can) fuel pump which was in the trunk. After swapping pumps, installing the spacer gasket, and then routing the full 6 foot of fuel hose out and away from the engine heat back into the carb, she started and ran beautifully.

When finished, I ate lunch at the quickie mart, took a 2 hour nap in the driver's seat under that glorious shade tree, and hit the road again as the sun started sinking low in the west Texas sky. The next morning, I was home in Phoenix with no other issues.

Glorious!

The things memories are made of...

'74 Bonneville 4dr Sedan (455/TH400/2.93 open)
'72 LeMans GT (455/M-13/3.23 [8.5"] posi)
'71 GTO Hardtop (400/TH400/3.07 12 bolt posi)
‘71 GTO Convertible (455HO/TH400/3.23 posi)
'67 GTO Coupe (455/ST-10/2.93 posi)
'67 Tempest Wagon (428/TH400/2.56 posi)

Deuteronomy 8:3
The Following User Says Thank You to Mister Pontiac For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 05:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Was driving to Santa Cruz late one night with a friend of mine and his 67 Falcon. During a downshift the clutch pedal stayed on the floor. After a little investigating we discovered a broken return spring. I took off my belt and wrapped around the clutch pedal. With my foot on the clutch I pulled up on the belt and kept a little pressure on the pedal until it engaged. Same procedure to release only push harder on the pedal and control with the belt. Got us the last hundred miles into Santa Cruz.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

The Following User Says Thank You to OG68 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 05:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Pontiac View Post
After purchasing my latest 71 GTO this past summer, I was driving home to AZ from IL. About 11:00 am, cruising across I-40 and 75 miles short of Amarillo, the 90+ degree Texas sun finally did its work and the car started to vapor lock. Fortunately it limped the 1/4 mile to the first available exit, and I was able to get it parked under a shade tree behind the local quickie mart. One block away, there was a generic auto parts store.

After some quick troubleshooting, I found a bent (and nearly crimped shut) fuel line between the carb and fuel pump. So I walked to the store, sourced a 6 foot section of fuel hose, a Q-jet spacer gasket, a couple fittings, and a can of hand cleaner. Fortunately, the guy I bought the car from had given me a spare (big can) fuel pump which was in the trunk. After swapping pumps, installing the spacer gasket, and then routing the full 6 foot of fuel hose out and away from the engine heat back into the carb, she started and ran beautifully.

When finished, I ate lunch at the quickie mart, took a 2 hour nap in the driver's seat under that glorious shade tree, and hit the road again as the sun started sinking low in the west Texas sky. The next morning, I was home in Phoenix with no other issues.

Glorious!

The things memories are made of...
If you took I35 through Oklahoma City, westward, you drove by my town, El Reno. Next car you buy in Illinois, let me know!
Jeff

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 12-04-2019, 05:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not a breakdown but just as bad. Quite a few years ago on a Friday evening after work I had stopped at the gas pumps to fill up my 82 firebird. This was a 2 station town and both were beehives of activity on a Friday evening. The third gen door lock is located adjacent to the pull handle and I had a habit of everytime I would open the door I would hit the lock at the same time. That way the car was locked when the door shut (before keyless entry!). I did the same this time getting out of the car and as the door was swinging realized I left the keys in the ignition. Car ended up sitting right in front of the pumps to the anger of many a driver for about an hour while my girlfriend (later to become my wife) brought me the spare set of keys. All I could do was sit back and listen to everyone complaining about the idiot that left his car parked in the way.

The Following User Says Thank You to TAKerry For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 05:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Years ago,went cruising with my brother at the local hangout, Town and Country shopping center. I had just put some ET aluminum slotted mag wheels on the car, a 69 GTO. On the way home, would hear something metal hitting the pavement occasionally. Got home, there were 3 lugs left on the right rear, and 2 left on the left rear. The other studs and lugs had snapped off.

Old 12-04-2019, 06:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

10 years ago last September I drove the Canning Stock Route here in Australia. 900 sand hills, 1700 kilometres of constant low range 4WD in a 2002 Nissan Patrol. About as far from anywhere as you can possibly go. And every inch is SERIOUS ruts and corrugations along the track.
600 kilometres south from the nearest town we broke the chassis over the rear right wheel. Body of the vehicle moved and crushed and broke the brake lines to the rear axle. ABS just kept pumping the brake fluid out. So, no brakes rear or front.
Only possible repair was to cut the line forward of the axle and seal it somehow so we at least had front brakes. But there were EIGHT pipes under there. Brake lines, Fuel lines, Vacuum lines (for the diff lock). Impossible to trace which line to cut unless it was on a hoist.
We had a Satellite phone so I phoned the Nissan Dealer where the car was bought and serviced and asked him which pipe I had to cut? You can imagine his reply when I told him I wanted to cut a brake pipe....... Told him to look at a map and look for a town called Halls Creek. Then visualise we are 600 kilometres south of that stuck in the desert.
In the end he was helpful. We cut and sealed the correct pipe, bled the front brakes, disconnected the ABS pump and drove the car out of the desert and another 4000 kilometres home on just the front brakes.

Old 12-04-2019, 07:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink

My 25 or so Pontiacs I have owned or currently own have never stranded me on the side of the road.

My two muscle car era Mopars left me stranded several times. All because of that "care in engineering"

The ignition boxes were the culprit a couple of times. I stripped the splines on the torque converter on the 727 Torqueflite, a couple of ballast resistors, grenaded a 8 3/4 rear needing a tow.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

The Following User Says Thank You to 77 Canamman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 08:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This one is not much of a breakdown story, since it quit running a few feet from the barn.

But - I like the diagnosis and repair portion - so here goes:

I had a '31 Ford rumble seat coupe, restored to stock. It wasn't perfect but was a nice driver and I put a ton of miles on it with the kids screaming in the back.

We had been out one day and I was just getting ready to nose it into the barn - and - it quit. Just shut off, like you had turned the key off.

I knew the ignition switch was a bit janky (you had to have it in the right spot for it to run) so the first order of business was to check continuity at the switch, in all positions, but that ended up being ok. Still - no spark.

Next order of business was to check ignition components. Since I had extra coils I just started changing coils and ballast resister and such without giving it much thought, but also without much effect. Still no spark.

During the course of all this horsing around I happened to notice that the distributor rotor was always stopped in the same orientation. I thought "gee - that's a remarkable coincidence". My first impression was that maybe the distributor drive shaft had broken and that the distributor was not going around.

Fortunately, since it was a flat four, you can remove a spark plug and actually see down in the engine. I cranked it over while looking into the spark plug hole and ... the valves were not going up and down. That tells me the cam is not going around (not just the distributor).

Unfortunately you have to take the whole front of the car off to access the cam shaft and cam gear: radiator, grill and grill shell, AND the front motor mount. I managed to get that all apart and was sitting there contemplating my next move when I absentmindedly reached up to touch the cam gear with my finger. *Plink* the whole outside of the gear fell off onto the pavement. The center of the gear had broken loose such that the outside of the gear was spinning with the crank but the inside wasn't turning.

Here's my favorite part: the gear had a manufacturer logo embossed on the perimeter. The manufacturer? "Formica". Both in terms of the people that made it and the material used.

Needless to say it went back together with a "hot rod" bronze gear. I never had any more problems with it.

Here's a pic, pretty much in the spot where it quit running.

K
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Model A.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	526022  

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 08:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had two brake failures in recent memory with the Grand Prix.

The first one was after a long day; I had driven it to work (30 miles or so) and then to the dentist office (another 40 miles or so). When I came out from the dentist office I had no brakes.

They pumped up a bit so I elected to drive it home, just using a lot of engine braking and the parking brake.

Once I got it home I figured "hey - this would be a good time to replace the single pot master cylinder with a dual pot".

After I got the parts and started mocking it up I realized that was going to be an engineering exercise so I thought "well - I may as well throw a replacement single pot on there until I can do the conversion this winter". So I did.

It survived until the Woodward Dream Cruise, in August. I was at the furthest southern point of my trajectory when the brakes went out again. I made it most of the way home, again with judicious use of engine braking and the parking brake. Threw in some more brake fluid, caught my breath for a bit, and drove it the rest of the way.

The trickiest part of the whole fiasco (...'fiascos', plural, I suppose...) was making the 90 degree three point turn to get the car into the shop, with no brakes. Next time I'll use the come-along and drag it up in there.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 12-05-2019 at 08:26 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 09:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My Pontiac left me stranded at in the middle of main street after a cruise night. Starter went kaput! Everyone was home tucked into bed by the time mine got towed to the garage

The Following User Says Thank You to TAKerry For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 10:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Amazing what can be done with some thought and a real desire NOT to be stuck. Good stories.

My younger brother picked up an early 70's Cutlass convertible (he's had it now about 15 years) with a 350 and a 4spd in Kearney Nebraska. I think he later determined that it had a 3.73 gear. He picked it up early and headed the 1000 miles back to Alabama. At the first gas stop the car wouldn't start. After careful consideration (banging on the starter), he determined that the starter was either bad or not liking the heat, soooooo....he got it fired and then drove all the way back, straight through, without shutting the car off but once to check the oil. I don't know when he made it home or how long it took, but he said coming through Memphis on the way to I-22 late at night with the top down was a hoot. That's an.....interesting area. Thankfully, the unknown car, had no other issues other than thirst.

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The following titles make good stories:

All-day Saturday Cam-swap (294B?, Lunati?) Police stopped me on the way to a date..

Answer a newspaper for SD heads & Block for sale 1981-83. Convine the felka not to sell them. He restores his SD-T/A and i spy his name at the Hatfield PY annual circa 2015. So we catch-up.

Circa 1983-1985 ( i had to be 21 but probably wasnt) GTO-GP-FB gang went to a rural bar, 65 GTO fella show us his new 44 Mag in Parking lot...Undercover Cops come running from across the street (corn field woods) to investigate. We were straight up with them and let alone.

Back to Penn State drive 20* out on Ruote 322 West in BFE, i nail it the 68 GTO gets above 90 or was it 120..) Lady cop up ahead STANDS in middle of highway to stop me. say "well well you're the highest this month". I say " I was getting sleepy, no radio stations, cant you give me a break?"

On a drive date and gal trys the His-Hers and hits Reverse while a passenger, while we were accelerating. TH400 responded smartly with a 2nd-to-Reverse and BOOM we wheel drag to a stall in middle of road. Re-start and move on to a nice....evening.

Buddy in his 68 GTO gets gas, drives over curb and unravels his driveshaft like a cardboard toilet roll, wrapping paper roll. I get driveshaft from home and he's running in no time.

Brother driving his 68 Convertible, kept nudging Cassette Volume control up, and front wheel pops off and rolls a 1/4" mile down road. He didnt hear the clunking.

Bought and Rebuilt a rare 69 FB SPRINT in 1981. Original Owner wanted a test drive when done, so i show up Sunny day and all nice. He's happy to see his former babee. He asks a bunch on technical questions, We get-in and he sets off to driving like he stole it; drifting on backroads, beyond redline upshifts, power braking, and calm at the wheel. We get back to his house, his wife is sproting a welcome back smile (was her babee). He gives me a de-brief; good job, check the dwell, front end overhang too much for his liking, yada yada, and thats the way it is supposed to be drived.

Circa 1988, I put the Spring Bird up for Sale, former PY member wants it. We go for test drive, 7500 rpm upshifts and all that, then upon heading home i take a turn on a road i took every day, but this day shwoed red-clay clumped pavement (construction treads). I fish-tail it badly, head-first into a clay enbankment. Bird on two tires (1front and 1 rear) cant open his door into the road, so i climb out, look, and climb back in and say " im gonna Reverse it. We drive out of that for home. he buys it.

"Favorite PA junkyard has a sideyard with a "rumor" to have a 69 Judge Dark Blue 4-Speed that got rolledover on highway mishap 1982-1983. Well it was true and the junkman wanted $1250 for it. Was sunk to frame in mud. Engine was a YD but ram Air was intact. Passed it up due to rust everywhere. Someone else bought it. 2019 while RVing in PA for wedding, camper next to us noticed my GRRR plate, got to talking, he married the gal who's dad owned the sideyard. She was with him, and i said i remember seeing you at the house is the yard while looking the 69 Judge over.

2018 Pontiac guy tells me of a 69 HEMI 4-speed engine-trans for Sale. Penske-built and Pulled from 1973 NASCAR Talkedega race and stored.I take Photos and post on PY. 2019 still for sale. PY folks say its too wide, wont fit my 68 GTO.

Last edited by Half-Inch Stud; 12-05-2019 at 10:20 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Half-Inch Stud For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Had the 4spd linkage fall apart after shifting into 4th gear, I knew something wasn't right buy the way the shifter felt.
kept driving till we ran into a stop light. Turnes off into parking lot so did not have to stop, but would be able to go any further.
Car sits quite low and no jack in car. We drove it onto a curb, ( Had a wheel Chair ramp on corner) so I could get under the car
and yes the clip had fallen off. Yes I carry a spare Luckily. a few minutes of down time and a couple burns off the hot headers
and was back on the road. Sidewalk worked perfect, backed off and was all good.

Old 12-05-2019, 10:44 AM

David you al ready know about this from FB, but In early November I was at my last car show of the season, and the show ran late and it was getting dark outside. Show ended, everyone starts leaving, I hop in and turn the key, and it just would not kick over. Plenty of battery, the car Clubs president saw me having trouble, and tried to figure it out. 5 others also from the club stayed to help. I wound up flooding it sooooooo we waited tried again and just would not kick off.

I called Hagerty to get a tow home, they told me possibly a 3 to 4 hour wait. so I called my local tow guy who’s also a Pontiac guy, who got there in about half an hour with the roll back. He instructs me to try and start it, so I did and .....it started right up WHAT? He drove it on the bed and towed me home. Again started right up to get it off the bed. no idea what’s going on.

So we believe it’s the ignition switch or the coil and so we’ll see once we get those parts replaced. Hopefully it’s something easy. How embarrassing as the car had just won Clubs choice that day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ED31373C-6FD0-4510-87D6-3892AE39A123.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	526023  

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
The Following User Says Thank You to Firedup6975 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 11:07 AM
Senior Chief

Three best ones:

1. Popped a heater hose on I-64 in KY in the early 90s, middle of the night - headed back to Morehead State. fixed the hose, refilled the car with creek water, but running the light I needed to do the work drained the battery just enough. Walked two miles in the dark to a rest area. before cell phones, so I called AAA, who managed to wake up some crazy hillbilly that picked me up in his tow truck, with him wearing nothing but a bathrobe. He then made unwanted s*xual advances that I found disturbing. We got the car started and I left there like the car was stolen. Thanks AAA.

2. Friend got a cell phone on a Friday. I get a frantic call from him that night, as he was supposed to be delivering a vehicle to me, in the dark because it had no plates or insurance, and his place was only 6 miles away. "Come quick, down ****** road from your house! Bring a wheel, some lug nuts, and a floor jack!" I was there in less than 10. Why the need to bring a wheel? Was it flat? NO! the lug nuts came off, the wheel came off, and went into a wooded area and he couldnt find it! Got it to my house before any cops showed up.

3. Last year, loaded up my 24' enclosed and my 2500 4x4, 454 suburban, headed for norwalk. Friends and I pulled into a parking lot to eat, I notice some unfortunate bastard is leaking transmission fluid. I follow the trail thru the parking lot, and find it leads back to my suburban - meaning the unfortunate bastard is me. Trans cooler line rusted out, behind engine mount. Putting new line in around the old one, cut my hand pretty bad. I was on a blood thinner, so there was my blood and a bunch of trans fluid accumulating in the parking lot. Checked that lot on the way home on Sunday, still looked like someone murdered a hog. (i'd tried to clean it up and advised the owners of the place, im not an asshole...)

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Anonymous For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 11:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Anonymous View Post
Three best ones:

I love your lead-in.

Old 12-05-2019, 11:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

About 5 years ago, driving home from the Iola Old Car Show in Wisconsin, my power steering belt decided it was time to self destruct about halfway home (about another 125 miles to home).

Now we all know you can drive a car without power steering, so it really wasn't that big a deal.

However, the route I was taking was all back roads that were something like snake trails. Add to that, the heat and humidity that Sunday in July was way above normal.

Black vinyl interior is not your friend in that type of weather.

When we finally made it home, we peeled ourselves out of the bucket seats, left everything in the car, took showers and then relaxed in air conditioned comfort for about 2 hours.

Properly refreshed, we went out to the shed and unloaded. Monday morning I bought new alternator and power steering belts and installed...

The Following User Says Thank You to The Champ For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 12:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My Pontiacs never leave me stranded on the side of the road, The vehicle I've had towed home most often is the 93 chevy k3500 6.5 TD dually. Twice for lack of fuel delivery, once for the LF wheel hub bearing. It literally fell apart without any noise or warning.

Have also lost the cooling lines, due to rust, and twice replace the brake line to the rear wheels. When I bought it, the former owner had just replaced the rear line before I bought it. It lasted 5 years before rusting out again. All lines (fuel, brake, and transmission) have been replaced with Nicopp nickel/copper line.

One of the best repair on the side of the road was on someone else's 66 SS 396 shevelle. The guy was messing with the carb, for whatever reason, small Holley with balance tube between the float bowls. He cut the O ring when he reassembled it. Sunday afternoon, back then no parts stores were open on Sunday. He wants to drive it back home, and to work the following day. It's leaking gas profusely so he'll never be able to drive it without a high probability of setting the car on fire.

One of the girls was chewing gum and it hits me that if I take a string wrap it with gum and wrap it around the balance tube it may seal the balance tube. I try it, the gum on the string seals up perfectly, not knowing how the gas is going to affect the chewing gum we let it idle for a few minutes, dry as a bone.

It was Tuesday when he got around to getting a new O ring, and removing the bush fix...….

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post: