Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-16-2024, 12:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Quadrajet Accelerator Pump Issue

I have been fighting an issue with my Quadrajet on my 74 GTO. It is very hard to start the car when it has sat overnight. The car runs and performs great when it finally starts and will start the rest of the day easily. I initially thought that the bowl plugs may be leaking overnight, causing it to be hard to start. However, I have had the top off of the carb multiple times and it will have plenty of fuel in it. I can look down primaries and the accelerator pump shot seems very weak to me. One side just barely dribbles out fuel. I have swapped out accelerator pumps twice. The pumps that I have replaced look normal upon removing them. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I might take a look at to fix the issue? I am running out of ideas. Thanks

Old 04-16-2024, 01:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Call Cliff.......

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 04-16-2024, 01:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is the check ball in place? I had a problem with a flat spot once and it turned out to be one of the squirt holes had some casting flash so I cleaned it out with a torch tip cleaner.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
The Following User Says Thank You to SRR For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2024, 02:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As stated above it sounds like the passages have residual crap in them and are restricted.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 04-16-2024, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Milner View Post
I have been fighting an issue with my Quadrajet on my 74 GTO. It is very hard to start the car when it has sat overnight. The car runs and performs great when it finally starts and will start the rest of the day easily. I initially thought that the bowl plugs may be leaking overnight, causing it to be hard to start. However, I have had the top off of the carb multiple times and it will have plenty of fuel in it. I can look down primaries and the accelerator pump shot seems very weak to me. One side just barely dribbles out fuel. I have swapped out accelerator pumps twice. The pumps that I have replaced look normal upon removing them. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I might take a look at to fix the issue? I am running out of ideas. Thanks
Have you already gotten a good accelerator pump from Cliff? If you've not, do that first. Do your current pumps have garter springs or no?

Is the pump bore nice and smooth? If not, polish it with some 600grit sandpaper or get a hone and make it nice and shiny.

Confirm the checkball under the screw is installed, and get an extra one. Take a drift and using the old checkball, coin the seat a couple times, then discard the ball, replacing it with the extra one.

After that, work the pump a few times after filling the bore with fuel or fluid. You should see two streams of fuel coming up the passages. If both sides do not force quite a bit of fuel as you work the pump, then you're going to need to drill out the plugs and run a drill bit thru the drilled passages to clear whatever the debris is. You can re-plug the holes with small lead balls or tap the holes for set screws.

If you DO have good flow thru those two holes in the float bowl, then you need to check the corresponding orifices in the airhorn, making sure you have the correct gasket, while you're at it.

I can help with parts if need be, or else Cliff still deals in parts on his webpage. He can be difficult to get in touch with for tech support. He's kinda getting close to hanging it up, I think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7629.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	632159   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7630.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	632160  

Last edited by 65 Lamnas; 04-16-2024 at 04:29 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 65 Lamnas For This Useful Post: