Pontiac Business Entities Exchange Sources, Compliments and Grievances in regard to Pontiac parts or services rendered by an individual or business.

Old 10-27-2019, 08:50 PM
Senior Chief

Default Hood Tach and Radio Repair/Restore

I do not know if this is the correct place to start this thread, but I was unable to find another place that actually fit my questions. So, here goes!

Problem Number 1: 1968 GTO Hood Tach not working with a frozen indicator needle. It was an aftermarket bought more than 25 years ago from either AMES or their partner. It is an OE style Tach. Wonder if there is any reputable service that can repair for less than the cost of buying a new one and having it painted to match.

Problem Number 2: Original AM/FM Stereo not working correctly. AM band not working at all, but FM side working okay, but could use improvement. This unit is the AM/FM radio and a separate amplifier unit. Again, any reputable repair/restoration services for this original 1968 GTO factory radio?

Problem Number 3: Original 1968 in Dash clock. Unable to turn time counter clockwise to adjust time. Clock second hand turns, but sometimes the minute hand does not advance. Obviously, Clock not keeping accurate time. Any reputable repair/restoration services for the original 1968 In-Dash Clock?

Thank you for any advice or suggestions.

Old 10-29-2019, 09:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

On my oldest hood tach; the plate with the numbers painted on it, had warped causing the needle to stick at 2000RPM.
The two hood tachs that I bought for replacement from PY both failed at about the same time, two years, very few miles, and garaged the whole time.

Open the old one up and see if it's just sticking; you've got nothing to lose.

The Following User Says Thank You to F ROCK For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2019, 07:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Box Rebel View Post

Problem Number 2: Original AM/FM Stereo not working correctly. AM band not working at all, but FM side working okay, but could use improvement. This unit is the AM/FM radio and a separate amplifier unit. Again, any reputable repair/restoration services for this original 1968 GTO factory radio?

Problem Number 3: Original 1968 in Dash clock. Unable to turn time counter clockwise to adjust time. Clock second hand turns, but sometimes the minute hand does not advance. Obviously, Clock not keeping accurate time. Any reputable repair/restoration services for the original 1968 In-Dash Clock?
http://myhfenterprises.com/

He repairs dash clocks too.

The Following User Says Thank You to abefromen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2019, 10:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Before condemning your radio try another antenna and wire. FM will usually work with NO antenna where as AM will not.

The Following User Says Thank You to Goatracer1 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2019, 07:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Turnswitch.com for the radio. They will even convert it to hidden bluetooth so you can sync your phone. They update all the internals to modern stuff but the radio looks factory

Old 11-02-2019, 09:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had the aftermarket hood tach go bad on my 70 GTO. The shop I use was able to buy a new tach and swap the internals with my painted housing. May be an option for you

The Following User Says Thank You to 1965gp For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 05:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

PETE SERIO