Old 12-20-2009, 04:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My '67 GP(the 4 speed one) was special ordered by an older gentleman for a retirement gift to himself. He was well into his 90's and was still using it as his primary mode of transportation until he died in 2000. The old man went to 3 or 4 dealerships before he found a dealer that would order him an all manual (no p/s, p/b etc) '67 Grand Prix. I purchased it from his son earlier this year. The son and his brother used to hot rod and street race it. In about 1970 the son wrapped the right rear quater around a pole.

I have the original sales contract. order sheet and protect-o-plate

1 st pic is the car now. 2nd pic is the car the day after I bought it

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 12-21-2009, 12:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71GP76TA View Post
My '67 GP(the 4 speed one) was special ordered by an older gentleman for a retirement gift to himself. He was well into his 90's and was still using it as his primary mode of transportation until he died in 2000. The old man went to 3 or 4 dealerships before he found a dealer that would order him an all manual (no p/s, p/b etc) '67 Grand Prix. I purchased it from his son earlier this year. The son and his brother used to hot rod and street race it. In about 1970 the son wrapped the right rear quater around a pole.

I have the original sales contract. order sheet and protect-o-plate

1 st pic is the car now. 2nd pic is the car the day after I bought it

The fender skirts are gone now huh?

Old 12-21-2009, 01:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I put the skirts and headrests are on a shelf.... I think it looks better without them.

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 12-24-2009, 09:14 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think i know the most about my 30 model A, I know the second owners had it from around 37, car was in a fender bender somtime after that bought by a buyer/seller around 55. My Grandmother bought it in 57 (father's side), my uncle on my mother's side bought it in 69 sold it to my Grandmother on my mother's side. My Grandfather on my mother's side used it from about 77-85 and I inherited it after that. I know a little about my 70 Judge, sold in Richmond VA, bought by a guy who was going to fix it up in the early 80's. My friend bought it sometime in the early to mid 80's placed it in storage until the late 90's when I got it and I have been building up the parts to do the car right. I got my 71 TA from the same friend, originally from Texas went to NC then WV I believe. Someone started restoring it and my freind ended up with it and i got it from him about 12 years ago. My 72 TA came from a lady who had a nice 73 4spd car this car was going to be the companion to. They started to restore it and later had the motor/trans stolen as well as most of the expensive parts. The car was bounced in and out of storage/garages from 82 to 2006, it is a bit on the rough side but a real 4spd air 72 TA. Mark

71 GT-37:usa2
71 T/A WHT AUTO
71 T/A LB 4SPD
72 T/A WHT 4spd
74 SD T/A Admiralty Blue Auto
others that reside in the barn too
Old 12-24-2009, 09:52 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Grrrs View Post
It isn't Blue by any chance?

I used to live near Cochran Pontiac & there was a Martinique Blue '78 4spd car I tried to buy when I was 17. My dad had a fit that I wanted a 4spd T/A with a blown motor for my first car. He refused to let me buy it.

I loved that car.
No. It's Solar gold, but a non-SE. It was ordered so it shouldn't have been on the lot at all.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBF823 View Post
No. It's Solar gold, but a non-SE. It was ordered so it shouldn't have been on the lot at all.

Sorry I was not clear in my other post -- the T/A was not on Cochran's lot. It was a private seller in about 1987.

1966 GTO Montero Red Hardtop - Holley EFI'd 462, KRE DPorts/Muncie 4spd
1990 Chevy 454SS pickup - Accel DFI/T56 6spd - Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler
1996 Chevy K2500 ECSB 'Poopy'
2002 Honda VTX1800C
2016 Cadillac CTS Premium

My project thread: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=516826

Old 12-27-2009, 05:03 PM

I like the skirts...

www.fquick.com/mikecio1
http://www.facebook.com/MikeCio1
Old 01-12-2010, 08:55 PM
Senior Chief

I bought my '65 GTO in the Spring of '76 when I was 20 yrs.old. My brother who now has the car noticed it in a driveway near our house. It was unregistered, but the owner, a police officer said it was for sale. We agreed on a price of $850.00 however, the plot now thickens. Technically, the cop was not the owner, his brother in law was. Reason being was that the cop who worked in Grand Theft Auto pulled over some kids in the car and the car turned out to be a stolen vehicle from Mass. The cop wanted the car for himself so he called the rightful owner and lied about the car's condition! A few yrs. later, I contacted the original owner and he confirmed that the cop told them that the car was painted green and drastically modified. They didn't want the car any longer but the cop was not allowed to purchase the car from the pound, so he made his brother-in law buy it. Apparently, he never registered it, and when I bought it we had to go the NYC Armory to have a new VIN # placed on the car( on the frame, under the driver's side trunk pan).
Like I stated earlier, the car now resides in N.J. with my brother.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19652plus2 View Post
I bought my '65 GTO in the Spring of '76 when I was 20 yrs.old. My brother who now has the car noticed it in a driveway near our house. It was unregistered, but the owner, a police officer said it was for sale. We agreed on a price of $850.00 however, the plot now thickens. Technically, the cop was not the owner, his brother in law was. Reason being was that the cop who worked in Grand Theft Auto pulled over some kids in the car and the car turned out to be a stolen vehicle from Mass. The cop wanted the car for himself so he called the rightful owner and lied about the car's condition! A few yrs. later, I contacted the original owner and he confirmed that the cop told them that the car was painted green and drastically modified. They didn't want the car any longer but the cop was not allowed to purchase the car from the pound, so he made his brother-in law buy it. Apparently, he never registered it, and when I bought it we had to go the NYC Armory to have a new VIN # placed on the car( on the frame, under the driver's side trunk pan).
Like I stated earlier, the car now resides in N.J. with my brother.
A cop doing something like that? Never happens.

Last edited by Old Blue 66; 01-13-2010 at 01:29 AM.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:54 AM
Senior Chief

Okay, so I'm making the whole thing up.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
No....Paul was being facetious (as evidenced by the smiley face).

We believe you; he was just taking a shot at our local law enforcement officials...

That is an interesting story, btw -

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 01-13-2010, 11:20 AM
Senior Chief

A brief addendum to the story. The cop was found to be dirty, arrested, prosecuted, and upon his release, he was murdered by a mob hitman.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
What Keith said.

Never thought it was made up. Maybe I used the wrong smiley?

Please don't take offense as there was nothing meant by it. It was an interesting story.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:51 PM
Senior Chief

Unhappy

Sorry!!

Old 01-13-2010, 03:25 PM
Senior Chief

I am sure many of you have already seen this but I think it also belongs in this thread. Here is the link to the story of my 69 T/A I bought from the original owner in January of 2009. He bought the car in his last year of college to compete with his roommates 68 Z/28. Luckily, he kept pretty much every piece of original sales paperwork for the car.

I speak to the original owner quite often, he is a great guy.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=585749

http://www.carbuffs.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fbirdinconcord For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2010, 08:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbirdinconcord View Post
I am sure many of you have already seen this but I think it also belongs in this thread. Here is the link to the story of my 69 T/A I bought from the original owner in January of 2009. He bought the car in his last year of college to compete with his roommates 68 Z/28. Luckily, he kept pretty much every piece of original sales paperwork for the car.

I speak to the original owner quite often, he is a great guy.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=585749
Jim, I follow every bit of that thread. Truly one of the greatest finds I can think of.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue 66 View Post
A cop doing something like that? Never happens.
Man that sounds like a lot of work. To acquire a car in NYS older than 1971, you need little to no paperwork. I acquired 2 vehicles (1 abandoned '71 Riv. with 76k on the clock and 1 PA '48 chevy with 72k for cheap) simply by insuring them and filling out a "Statement of Facts" sheet. So long as I was in possession of the vehicles for over a year and they had never been reported stolen, the registration was transfered... but both had their VINs so I suppose that helped. Enjoy the car!
Sadly, my car Bonnie story is less exciting. It drove from NC when the 389 eventually died. The new 455 was pulled from a fatal wreck where a Grandville drove atop a Chevette. The driver of the latter was killed from the impact and sheer volume of weight. (From what I was told from the wrecker... BS maybe)... The engine and cradle were at a 30 degree angle to the steering column, but in the drivers seat. Sad... but a good story.

Chris

Old 01-14-2010, 12:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I purchased my 71 T/A in the fall of 96', it was at a dealer in Arlington Tx. As the story goes I was the 2nd owner of the car. The original owner was a business man from Austin, he did a lot of traveling across the state of Texas and into Mexico. He didn't like to fly so he wanted a fast highway cruiser. He bought the T/A new from a dealer in Brownsville and he drove it from a number of years. One thing interesting is the car was white with blue stripe, but due to his travels into Mexico, the local police made him remove the stripes because the local cop cars where white with blue stripes as well and they didn't want him to impersonate a officer. So for years the car was plain white. Move into the late 80's to early 90's the owner had retired and parked the car, he and his son decided to restore the car, they got about half way into it when the owners health declined and he finally passed away. Again the car sat for a few more years. The son finally could not stand to see the car any longer. He finished a few things and consigned it to the dealer that I bought it from. I never was able to find the son, but I did verify the dealer where it was purchased so the story did check out. I finished the restoration and drove the car for almost 10 years, then I was forced to sell the car due to my daughters illness and subsequent medical bills. I sure wish I could get it back. Here is a photo from a few years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	079.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	193762  

2004 GTO - Sold
2006 GTO - Sold
1970 GTO - Sold
1972 Trans Am - Sold
1970 Trans Am - Current Project
Old 01-19-2010, 12:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA-71 View Post
I purchased my 71 T/A in the fall of 96', it was at a dealer in Arlington Tx. As the story goes I was the 2nd owner of the car. The original owner was a business man from Austin, he did a lot of traveling across the state of Texas and into Mexico. He didn't like to fly so he wanted a fast highway cruiser. He bought the T/A new from a dealer in Brownsville and he drove it from a number of years. One thing interesting is the car was white with blue stripe, but due to his travels into Mexico, the local police made him remove the stripes because the local cop cars where white with blue stripes as well and they didn't want him to impersonate a officer. So for years the car was plain white. Move into the late 80's to early 90's the owner had retired and parked the car, he and his son decided to restore the car, they got about half way into it when the owners health declined and he finally passed away. Again the car sat for a few more years. The son finally could not stand to see the car any longer. He finished a few things and consigned it to the dealer that I bought it from. I never was able to find the son, but I did verify the dealer where it was purchased so the story did check out. I finished the restoration and drove the car for almost 10 years, then I was forced to sell the car due to my daughters illness and subsequent medical bills. I sure wish I could get it back. Here is a photo from a few years ago.
Great story on the cars history but Im sorry you had to part with it. Desperate times call for desperate measure I guess. I hope your daughter was ok.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71GP76TA View Post
My '67 GP(the 4 speed one) was special ordered by an older gentleman for a retirement gift to himself. The old man went to 3 or 4 dealerships before he found a dealer that would order him an all manual (no p/s, p/b etc) '67 Grand Prix.
Ordered locally here?

Which dealer?