Old 02-04-2017, 01:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Camshaft repair? recommendations?

I'm not really sure how to move forward on this so I'll just throw it out there where I am stuck.

I bought a 69 OHC "H" camshaft from a seasoned gentleman that had had a 69 Sprint. These camshafts are rare and this one is in "decent" shape. The journals are in great shape as are the lobes. No flat spots or any visible wear anywhere so this confirms his claim that it was a very low mile vehicle.

But the problem lies in the very edges of the camshaft lobes. There are very small rust spots that look like "veins" of rust that have creeeped 1/1th of an inch into the side of the lobes. When you rub the lobes you cannot feel any deviation or damage. I used a mild metal polish and it had zero affect on the areas that have this micro rust.

Is there a way to grind these imperfections out of the edges of the lobes? If so is there any guess what it would cost? Any leads on companies that can recondition it to usable shape?

69 OHC ZH Sprint Hurst 3 Speed 3:55 (1 of 213)
99 Valkyrie 1520cc Flat 6 108hp/110tq - For Sale
http://sohcsix.yuku.com/forums/1/OHC-lounge
Wanted: 1969 OHC "H" Camshaft
Old 02-04-2017, 07:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you can't feel it then do not sweat it, but if you just can't leave it alone get some sheets 320 grit wet or dry ( black type) sand paper and a 3/8" round wood dowl from a hardware store, cut the paper into strips , rap it around the dowl and wet it with some WD-40.
Then have at it and polish those spots up a bit.
Be sure to then wash the Cam off in warm soapy water , dry it and hit it down with the WD-40 and then rap it up in Saran Wrap till build time.

Old 02-04-2017, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't sweat that. Put your perspiration in the single oil feed to the cam tower.

And put your perspiration to the HYD pivot plungers to decide if they need new technology.

If i had an 69 OHC-6 Sprint again, I'd look into the ROLLER Cam Followers found on the 4.6 Litre V8s, and make those work....because they work to keep cam lobes happy for > 200,000 miles.

Old 02-04-2017, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Roller Cam Followers !

Old 02-04-2017, 02:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
If you can't feel it then do not sweat it, but if you just can't leave it alone get some sheets 320 grit wet or dry ( black type) sand paper and a 3/8" round wood dowl from a hardware store, cut the paper into strips , rap it around the dowl and wet it with some WD-40.
Then have at it and polish those spots up a bit.
Be sure to then wash the Cam off in warm soapy water , dry it and hit it down with the WD-40 and then rap it up in Saran Wrap till build time.
Alrighty. That sounds easy enough. I'll give it shot in one area and see if it has any affect. I do have an electric rotary tool (variable speed) that has 7 different sanding belts that range from rough to super fine. It;s a knife sharpening tool but it has a six inch arm that holds that belts to work on longer pieces or free hand the work.

Won't go nuts trying to get it off if it won't come off.

Thanks for the tips.

69 OHC ZH Sprint Hurst 3 Speed 3:55 (1 of 213)
99 Valkyrie 1520cc Flat 6 108hp/110tq - For Sale
http://sohcsix.yuku.com/forums/1/OHC-lounge
Wanted: 1969 OHC "H" Camshaft
Old 02-04-2017, 07:35 PM
Senior Chief

use wheel bearing grease or thick motor oil or some REAL rust preventer, WD-40 is NOT a rust preventer, it may so so on the side of can,but it does a poor job of it.. now there is a product made by wd-40 and other companys that are rust preventors, but they are not cheap 8-9$ a spray can.

Old 02-04-2017, 10:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
Don't sweat that. Put your perspiration in the single oil feed to the cam tower.

And put your perspiration to the HYD pivot plungers to decide if they need new technology.

If i had an 69 OHC-6 Sprint again, I'd look into the ROLLER Cam Followers found on the 4.6 Litre V8s, and make those work....because they work to keep cam lobes happy for > 200,000 miles.
Excellent idea. I'd never thought of those.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 02-06-2017, 07:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No need to have to spend 1/2 hour getting a thick rust preventing grease or oil off of a washed part like a Camshaft, if you spend just 10 seconds to rap it well with the Saran Wrap WD-40 will not evaporate on you!

Old 02-07-2017, 06:17 PM
Senior Chief

Default cam

A SOFT wire wheel will clean up lots of stuff on a cam without damaging the surface. I would hesitate to use any paper to sand on it. Billk