Old 02-06-2017, 07:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you have a Sams club card, they also deal in BFG's, and last time I checked, they were a little cheaper than everyone else.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
summit has that size for $124 each... $496 total! dicount tire wants $625?!? sounds like a rip off to me. wally charges like $15 each to m&b with lifetime rotation & balancing. so $555 total from summit/wally.... & no tax.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bfg-37157
I do appreciate the help but I had to do some more digging.

I went to Jegs and found something a bit odd. They have the same tire available for sale (BFG 205/70/14) but at two different prices. $125 or os through them and then Coker tire offers the exact same thing for $117.

When I did the Checkout its about $110 LESS than Summit. Summit charges taxes for Texas residents as I guess they have a distribution center somewhere around this giant state(?) and an extra $32 "special handling" fee. Total $560 plus.

So the only hope I have is that I place this order and it goes through sans any "extra" taxes and special fee's long after I order them.

Thoughts?

ETA: I know this is a bit of a run around but I'm hoping that it might help someone else in the future.

Checkout info:

Same Day Shipping Before 11 PM ET
My Cart
$468.00
Shop By Vehicle
Shop By
Category

Shop By Brand
Shop Specials
Shop New Products

Shopping Cart
or
Item
Qty
Price
Total
Remove
BFG T/A Radial Tire P205/70R14
SKU # 257-5556500

This item is expected to ship in 24hrs from Mfg.
$117.00
$468.00
Shipping Options
FREE Standard Shipping
$0.00
Guaranteed 2nd Business Day (Monday - Friday)
Guaranteed Next Business Day (Monday - Friday)
Subtotal:
$468.00

FREE Standard Shipping:
$0.00
Tax:
$0.00
Total:
$468.00

69 OHC ZH Sprint Hurst 3 Speed 3:55 (1 of 213)
99 Valkyrie 1520cc Flat 6 108hp/110tq - For Sale
http://sohcsix.yuku.com/forums/1/OHC-lounge
Wanted: 1969 OHC "H" Camshaft

Last edited by PMD1969; 02-15-2017 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep if the facility you order from is in the state you live, taxes will be added. Tack on handling fees, oversize fees, shipping etc... and some of those cheap prices aren't exactly cut and dry.

That's why I said you really have to shop around and see what fees are added to the cost of the tire. Most instances I find the cheaper advertised prices for the tires generally make up the difference (and then some) with additional fees and charges so the tire isn't really a "deal".

There have been some instances where I found it cheaper to just order the tires from a local shop, pay state tax on it, stop by and pick them up myself when they come in, and still saved money from the shipping and oversize fees. I found Sams club to be one example of this who handle the BFG's.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Yep if the facility you order from is in the state you live, taxes will be added. Tack on handling fees, oversize fees, shipping etc... and some of those cheap prices aren't exactly cut and dry.

That's why I said you really have to shop around and see what fees are added to the cost of the tire. Most instances I find the cheaper advertised prices for the tires generally make up the difference (and then some) with additional fees and charges so the tire isn't really a "deal".

There have been some instances where I found it cheaper to just order the tires from a local shop, pay state tax on it, stop by and pick them up myself when they come in, and still saved money from the shipping and oversize fees. I found Sams club to be one example of this who handle the BFG's.
We don't have a Sams membership so no go there. Also we live in soccer mommy hell for our area where there are only quick lube joints and no other shops to go to order tires. The one's that are available are not friendly to gas and time costs due to the 267,000 square miles that is the size of the great state of Texas. I've tried that game before and lost.

I'm going to try Jegs and see what happens. I have about a month for them to get it right and so far there's no hint of extra charges unless they stick it to the order somewhere after I submit the order. If they do I'll e sure to come back and warn others about it.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You live in Dallas? Isn't that one of the bigger cities in Texas? Wow, puzzles me you don't have decent tire stores there. Lol soccer mommy hell.

It'll just come down to who has the best shipping prices for you. Oddly when I shop for them the prices are different from month to month. It's never the same place that has the best price.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMD1969 View Post
Also we live in soccer mommy hell for our area where there are only quick lube joints and no other shops to go to order tires.
There are 41 locations in Dallas that according to BFG sells their tires in Dallas alone:

https://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/deal...MOSearch=false

This includes Walmart, Sears, Discount Tire, Midas, Pep Boys, Tire King as well as several new car dealerships.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:53 AM

Discount Tire is having President's day sale this weekend so if you buy a set of BFG's (or any tire classified as their "better" tire) you get $75 off and if you use their credit card you get another $60 off.

I'm looking at a set of 235/60R15 (f) and 255's for rear of the Cooper tires and you can get all 4 after discount for $250. From all the on-line reviews I've read everyone seems to like the Cooper tires so I figured its worth a shot.

Old 02-16-2017, 03:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
You live in Dallas? Isn't that one of the bigger cities in Texas? Wow, puzzles me you don't have decent tire stores there. Lol soccer mommy hell.

It'll just come down to who has the best shipping prices for you. Oddly when I shop for them the prices are different from month to month. It's never the same place that has the best price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
There are 41 locations in Dallas that according to BFG sells their tires in Dallas alone:

https://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/deal...MOSearch=false

This includes Walmart, Sears, Discount Tire, Midas, Pep Boys, Tire King as well as several new car dealerships.
Is Jegs hated or something?

Again I appreciate the help but we do not live in Dallas. Just a suburb 45 miles north of Dallas. Nothing is close in Texas. Plus the key here is that I have my plate full enough and ordering them online and having them delivered to our postal box two miles from our home seems a lot better than running around for weeks looking for good prices.

Old 02-16-2017, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

45 miles is pretty close to me "shrug"

Nothing wrong with Jegs. Not sure who said that but I personally like Jegs, I just generally don't order much from them anymore because I don't live in Ohio anymore, I'm in Arizona. So I generally order from Summit because it gets here a little faster (they have a place in Reno)

But like I said, simply order from the place that has the best deal, and that usually changes every month, so it pays to look around.

Old 02-16-2017, 05:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMD1969 View Post
Is Jegs hated or something?

Again I appreciate the help but we do not live in Dallas. Just a suburb 45 miles north of Dallas. Nothing is close in Texas. Plus the key here is that I have my plate full enough and ordering them online and having them delivered to our postal box two miles from our home seems a lot better than running around for weeks looking for good prices.
I don't hate Jegs, but I usually prefer to buy my tires from whomever is going to mount them (unless the online price is a SUPER deal). If there is a problem with a tire, they will be more likely to work with me to resolve it.

A suburb 45 minutes north of Dallas - Denton, McKinney??? Both have over a dozen BFG dealers nearby - WalMart, Pep Boys, Discount Tire, etc...

Most of these places have websites and you can shop online just like Jegs. Or there is a new invention called the telephone where you can actually talk to someone without leaving your house...

Having said that, I will be ordering tires for myself from Tirerack in the near future. Why? Because my grandson works for Continental and he is allowed 3 sets of Continental or General tires per year on his employee discount - which will save me about $400.00 over the price I can buy them for locally. I can have them shipped to me for $60.00 or I can drive 100 miles to their distribution center and pick them up.

I routinely drive that far to go to NFL, MLB and NHL games (I have season tickets for 2 of the 3). I don't think 100 miles is a big deal - but would like 45 miles better...

Old 02-16-2017, 06:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Or there is a new invention called the telephone where you can actually talk to someone without leaving your house...
Okay that was funny.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I routinely drive that far to go to NFL, MLB and NHL games (I have season tickets for 2 of the 3). I don't think 100 miles is a big deal - but would like 45 miles better...
I agree, 100 miles is nothing. To make it more pleasurable, take the classic, that's what we do. We'll routinely go 200 miles round trip to Phoenix to hit the bigger cruise nights down there. I don't mind the drive and enjoy driving the classics.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

JEGS says "free shipping" on my newspaper tire catalog. So looking to reshoe me 68 GTO

Front Street MT Sportsman S/T is priced favorable to BFG (or Coker) BFG Radial T/As

Now i have to compare P225/70/R15 to P 245/60/15 for fender scrub and sizing: the 225/70R15 does 5.5 fewer turns than the 245/60R15 in the 1/4mile. www.sizemytires.com
26" x 7.25" treadwidth definitely fits my car (modified fender&Stainless tips).

My old T/As show -100S so gotta looks that up...

Rears: MT ET Streets P275/60R15 28"dia, 9.3" tread width, 34 lb $208.-- vs P255/60R15 27.1" dia and 8.6" tread 30lb $189--

Repost when the Cart is full.

Last edited by Half-Inch Stud; 02-20-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

....wasted 4 internet hours looking at tires. Eagle, Dunlap, Cooper, Telstar?!

Seems BFG or Coker Radial T/A is fine for the heavy 68 GTO can handle.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Www.jegs.com

BFG Radial T/As P225/70R15 $131.99 & FREE Shipping. Local shop will be happy to mount them.

ET Street S/S drag radials may be next. Sizing for width(8.6" to 9.5" to?.) & height(27.1" to 28") incurs +4 Lbs/tire in the circumference.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This reminds me why I hate buying tires.

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/
Old 03-04-2017, 09:39 AM

A buddy of mine recently ordered parts from Jegs and they charged an "excise tax", is that what Summit is doing too?

Old 03-04-2017, 11:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by highway star View Post
A buddy of mine recently ordered parts from Jegs and they charged an "excise tax", is that what Summit is doing too?
I'm rusty on that stuff but isn't the excise tax for something that's imported from outside the country?

I just ordered $860 worth of parts from Summit and there is no such thing on the receipt. Got free shipping too.