Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-12-2005, 09:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 600 cfm

I have a 68 GTO with the 428 #16 heads, headers and stock intake, MSD ignition and taylor wires, is a 600cfm edelbrock carb ok for this motor.

Old 10-12-2005, 09:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Way too small!! needs a 750+ depending on cam and rear end gear.

Old 10-13-2005, 07:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You could get a 1/2" or 1" [ better ] four hole carb spacer & cut out the piece that bridges the two secondary holes. This allows the carb to keep the primaries divided for good low end response & the secondaries now breathing from both sides will help top end. May not be as good as a 750, but better than the 600 mounted direct to the manifold. Also depends on what level of performance you are seeking.

Old 10-13-2005, 08:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Edelbrock AFB clones will not fit the stock intake without an adapter. We obtained and tested 2 of their 750 units. After considerable testing/tuning...we gave one away and immediately sold the other one on E-bay.

We attempted to run one against our Holley 850 DP carb and our 1977 Pontiac q-jet on KRE's dyno and for the track testing that followed. HPP was following the testing, so we thought it would be fun to include one of the Edelbrock AFB clones.

After countless hours tuning on the Edelbrock carburetors, we decided NOT to include them in the testing. Lacking an adjustment for the secondary airflap makes them pretty much application specific. Despite our best efforts there was a noticable stumble/bog/hesitation, any time we went to full throttle. The lower the rpm's and vehicle speed, the worse the stumble.

Other that that, we were able to easily and effectively tune them to run flawlessly in all other areas. NOT having an adjustment spring for the airflap is a BIG handicap.....just my 02.....Cliff

Old 10-13-2005, 04:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know alot about ajusting a carb. I think from what you are saying is that the edelbrocks are junk (Cliff). What size and brand would not need alot of ajustments and can be bolted on and go. I already have the 600cfm never used from preveous owner.

Old 10-13-2005, 09:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What happened to the factory carburetor? The stock manifold will require a spread bore carburetor unless you use an adapter. My first choice would be the original q-jet or something close to it......Cliff

Old 10-14-2005, 07:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Factory carb is gone, when I bought the car the motor is a fresh rebuild and he put on the edelbrock and yes there is a space adapter. You said you didn't like the performance of the edelbrock and mine is to small, now I don't know what to buy.

Old 10-15-2005, 07:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The best carburetor for the factory intake is the Quadrajet. Early units are rare and somewhat expensive. I'd use a later unit correctly set up for the early application. We build custom units from later cores, give us a call at 740-397-2921....Cliff