OHC-6 TECH Over Head Cam projects, questions and advice.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:08 AM

Default How to tell if you have a Sprint 6

I recently purchased a 66 Lemans with a OHC-6. Does anyone know how to identify if it is a Sprint 6?

Old 02-15-2017, 09:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Exclamation

You will need to get the PHS documents on that car to be 100% sure.
Vin will only tell you it was/is a 6 cyl.

http://www.phs-online.com/services.html

Old 02-15-2017, 09:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If it's OHC it's a Sprint. As Jeff mention, the PHS will tell you if the car came originally with the Sprint.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 02-15-2017, 05:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1bbl or 4bbl...that's a good start... but PHS will tell for sure

Old 02-15-2017, 07:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If there aren't any PHS docs to go by there are many telltale signs to look for. I can only tell you about my 69 Sprint but this topic has been rolled over before at the OHC fourm site.

On the passenger side behind the oil fill tube is where your ID number will be. Most times they're rusted over so get a brush and some cleaner to get a good look at what they are.

Next will be the manifolds themselves. Typically when a 1bbl is turned into a 4bbl there is a mix match of parts put together to make it so. Retrive those numbers and compare those against a true 66 Sprint.

Same goes for the carb. ON Qjets check the vertical ID number. With that typically when mixed parts are put on so is the carb from another sprint. If so the fuel line routing is almost always wrong or boogered up. Check the air cleaner while you're there and see if it matches other true Sprints.

A more difficult way is to remove the cam tower and see what the head number is that you have. You can check the camshaft while your there to see what the end has stamped on it.

Post up some pictures so we can all have a look. Shots from both sides as well as at the pulleys so we can tell if things have been moved around or don't belong. Show us a pic of the whole car. Dont get to see many 66's

69 OHC ZH Sprint Hurst 3 Speed 3:55 (1 of 213)
99 Valkyrie 1520cc Flat 6 108hp/110tq - For Sale
http://sohcsix.yuku.com/forums/1/OHC-lounge
Wanted: 1969 OHC "H" Camshaft
Old 02-15-2017, 08:14 PM
Senior Chief

Just to clarify one thing: A 1bbl OHC is not a Sprint. The 4bbl OHC is a "Sprint". The Sprint package consisted of the 4bbl OHC 6, 3spd (std) 4spd, (both with HD clutch) or 2spd auto (optional), higher rate springs & shocks, badges, stripes (A Body only), E70 x 14 Blackwall tires.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ya, man. Post up some pics. PHS is really the only way to know exactly what you have. We can definitely tell you if you have a Sprint engine if you show us the numbers stamped behind the oil fill tube. You'll have to look for the letters and numbers if that area hasn't been cleaned off in a while. But it's there as long as the block hasn't been decked, and starts with a Z.
Here's a shot of mine, which is all original. I've had it for a year now. The stripe running down the side and the engine call-out on the fender clearly identify it as a Sprint. I still got the PHS though first thing after I got it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	On The Road again.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	447337  

Old 02-16-2017, 10:39 PM

Thanks for the help. I'm pretty sure it's a Sprint. It's got a 4bbl, 4 speed, and strips with badges on fenders. Cant figure out how to attach pictures.

Last edited by Cayman; 02-16-2017 at 11:04 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lots of ways to verify Correct SPRINT parts but PHS is the best way to be sure it left the factory with the Sports Option/Sprint Package.

Just an FYI you could order them Stripe DELETE

To load images you need to use the Advanced feature when posting and it will have a drop down for attaching images.
Be sure size of image isn't to large to attach.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:28 AM

Tried to upload pictures but it fails to. I think the pictures are too large. Any ways to shrink the file?

Old 02-17-2017, 09:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not sure which computer or program you are running, but I usually right-click on the picture, go to "open with" and select Microsoft office. After it opens, there's a tab at the top for "edit pictures" and when you click on it, a menu appears to the right. Choose "compress pictures". A menu opens giving you choices on how to compress the image. Choose "web pages", which shrinks the file size the most. Save that new compressed picture under a different name. Hope that helps.

Old 02-17-2017, 02:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The intake/exhaust is usually an easy swap, but if it has the 4bbl/Sprint balancer, then odds are it's a Sprint. Those things seem to be comparatively hard to find so if on the engine is likely attached to a Sprint engine.

Checking the engine/head numbers is the next sure bet.

The Silver Buick- '77 Skylark coupe w/455, SPX, MegaSquirt 3 & TKO-600 (Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015!)

1969 Firebird with a turbo'd Pontiac L6 controlled by a MegaSquirt 3 and backed with a microsquirt controlled 4L60e and 4.56 gears! (Drag Week 2018!)