Old 05-31-2005, 06:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Does anyone know (month or vin) of when the belt minder and /or amber lenses started to appear on 72 firebird T/A's? Currently have 72 T/A with both. I understand it is late model 72's that have this, but what is late model. I have the build sheet vin number seq 528---. The build sheet under "Sched. No. Date" shows 20 03-20. I assume thats march 20 1972 but not sure. the amber lens also have 72 build date.

Old 05-31-2005, 07:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My Dec 71 built 72 TA has the amber front signal lenses and a (broken) plastic valance. The vin starts with 519.

Old 05-31-2005, 07:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My '72 T/A was built in March of '72 and the first three numbers of the VIN are 527. The car came with a since replaced plastic valance and amber parking lamp lenses.

I think that the lenses changed from clear to amber around Jan 1, 1972. Can't comment on the belt minder.

Jim

Old 06-01-2005, 07:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My 03/72 built TA w/526 vin has clear lens, plastic valance & seat belt reminder.
I suppose it's a case of using what they had on the lens.
Steve

Old 06-01-2005, 11:56 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Looking back at some older posts on the seatbelt reminder, it appears that this feature came about around the beginning of January, 1972.

Although my car was equipped with the belt reminder, it's no longer working. Because of the annoying buzzer, I never tried to repair it.

Jim

Old 06-01-2005, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not at home to quote directly but I have a 1972 Technical Bulleting that states federal law required a seat belt light in all vehicles by Jan 1, 1972.

I have to agree with my dad on the amber lenses too. Sometime around the first of the year there was a changeover. There is definitely two different part numbers for '72 Firebirds on the parts manual.

Old 06-01-2005, 01:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rocky Rotella:
I'm not at home to quote directly but I have a 1972 Technical Bulleting that states federal law required a seat belt light in all vehicles by Jan 1, 1972.

I have to agree with my dad on the amber lenses too. Sometime around the first of the year there was a changeover. There is definitely two different part numbers for '72 Firebirds on the parts manual. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right on the money about the seat belt warning system, Rocky. The Feds required that ALL vehicles manufactured after December 31, 1971, and destined for US sale, had to have the warning system installed.

On the amber lenses, concensus has it that they were also a mid-model year changeover, somewhere around January 1, 1972. I'll wager that the assembly plant was instructed to use what they had on hand until they ran completely out of the clear lenses.

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 06-04-2005, 09:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

anyone with a set of clears they want to sell or trade for a good set of ambers?
thanks
mike

Old 06-05-2005, 06:50 AM
Senior Chief

My car was shipped on 9/27/71 to smith-mills pontiac-buick in north carolina. Does anyone know if the dealer is still in business. I would love to know the history of the car and how it reached PA. The last numbers from the vin is 5215. Is that an early production car. I am not up on date codes to much. It has the clear front lens, so I guess it is correct. If anyone is interested in the options of my car, I just posted them on a recent post under 72 trans am. I also have 81 SE turbo trans am and a 77 SE trans am. The 81 has 19,000 original miles on it. So if anyone is in to these cars and need information I would be glad to help. Thanks. Jim Simoncelli

1977 SE T/A, Black with Black Deluxe interior
1981 SE Turbo T/A, Black with Deluxe Tan velour interior. 19,000 original miles. Owned since 1984.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The easiest way to find out if your dealer is still around is by going to http://www.google.com and typing in the dealer's name and then searching the results. That's how I found out that my 72 T/A'a dealer, Reliable Pontiac is still in business out in Roseville, California. I called them and they were happy to send me some complimentary lcense plates and frames.

Old 06-27-2005, 07:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Speedshopmike, I have a nice set of clear, I can send a pic, or we can swap pics first, rufflife@metrocast.net

On to the light, and belt thing. Ive spent years researching these type of things, and after discussing them with my grandfather who worked for GM for 41 years, and his friends who assembled cars on maryland, and Norwood. The above post is correct on the year end/begining statement.
A perfect example is a 68 firebird built BEFORE jan 1 1968 does NOT have shoulder harness, unless ordered as an at cost option.
so upon looking inside a stock car, you can tell if it is a 67 built FB or a 68 built FB of the same year. Now the DOT sets the requirements on a "normal" calendar year durring those times, so most costly changes were not made untill they had too. Side marker lights were comming and although were not required, we incorporated into the entire model year as well in 68 (example)
Alternate flashing was also incorporated later.
There are loads of other interesting year end changes that are , well usless info for the most part, but can be good trivia.. The opions here are all great, love to hear and see and learn myself, Thanks for participating, and please feel free to correct my posts if you see fit....

Old 06-27-2005, 08:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

f'bruce, did you want to trade clears for ambers, or sell them outright?
either is fine by me.
i also need parking light surrounds of anyone has some they'd part with.
thanks
mike

Old 06-28-2005, 05:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

be happy to trade,ill dig them out of the shoe box they are wrapped and stored in, tonight, Bruce

Old 06-28-2005, 09:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

email sent, bruce.
thanks
mike

Old 06-28-2005, 05:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

my email is rufflife@metrocast.net I havent got yours yet, ill keep an eye out for it, Bruce

Old 06-28-2005, 07:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

sent it this afternoon...i've had my em address for 15ish years; lots of scumbags use it as a return add for spam; it may have been blocked by your spam killer if any....
mine is rockvillespeedREMOVETHISPARTBEFOREEMAILINGME@his.c om

trade's fine; mine are fine; happy to send pics.
thanks a lot
mike