Old 06-07-2005, 06:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have seen the reproduction 1972/73 plastic front valances for sale (ebay $225, other vendors $275 to $295) Is this repro any good? Is it close to the original dimension-wsie and quality? My 72 TA still has its original plastic valance but it is cracked in many places and all of the mounting areaes are broken, plus there was a carb fire that got out of hand and melted the edge a little, Other than that it's perfect ;-)
Has anyone bought the repro?

Old 06-07-2005, 06:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have seen the reproduction 1972/73 plastic front valances for sale (ebay $225, other vendors $275 to $295) Is this repro any good? Is it close to the original dimension-wsie and quality? My 72 TA still has its original plastic valance but it is cracked in many places and all of the mounting areaes are broken, plus there was a carb fire that got out of hand and melted the edge a little, Other than that it's perfect ;-)
Has anyone bought the repro?

Old 06-07-2005, 07:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

While I haven't seen the repro there's an article in the last Pontiac Enthusiast about a 73 TA being restored by Wings. They had one of the repros to use on this car & at first said it wasn't a quality part and would try to find a good used part. I guess they had no luck on finding a good used one and they decided to use the repro after some finishing work on it.
HTH,
Steve

Old 06-09-2005, 02:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The parts place in Elburn IL makes a decent one.
It is not as thick as a original plastic one but it looks more correct than the metal replacements offered by GM. Some mod work may be
required depending on how picky you want to be when installing it.

74 SD TA 4spd.
72 442 W-30 auto, post coupe Bamboo. 1 of 19 total.
90 300zx TT 5spd.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Parts Place does make on nice repro and Super Duty D is correct in saying fine tuning is needed to get the original look. One must cut out three square holes to attach clips and you should probley sand off the Parts Place name (sorry Joe) before painting the inside just with color No clear to get that dull factor look. The original palstic had a bracket but the repro doesnt need one.

Old 06-16-2005, 07:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Throwarrow, I see you have been down this path before. It's good to know that there are hard-core hunters out there. BTW when you gonna bank some keeper’s???

74 SD TA 4spd.
90 300zx TT 5spd.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Which three holes? Are these the holes for the upper mounting to the bumper area? Do you have any close up photos of what needs modification? Thanks for the help. -NJSteve

Old 06-16-2005, 07:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey njsteve,
The clips (3) are used for the bolts that come up from the lower front spoiler. You can mark location for square holes to be cut by holding up the spoiler in correct postion which already has holes pre-drilled.
The top mounting holes for the valance are pre-drilled.

Old 06-16-2005, 08:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The bottom holes need to be custom drilled and filed to the square configuration
To accept the bottom front spoiler retaining clips.

74 SD TA 4spd.
90 300zx TT 5spd.