THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-17-2022, 05:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default GOUT

I woke up Tuesday morning with my left foot, knee, and hand all swollen and pain in all 3. I can barely walk with a cane and couldn't pick up a Kleenex .
My doctor ordered some pills for gout. Took one last night and they taste like chit. called her today and asked if their was any other pill. NOPE ! take the pills or deal with the gout. the pain is horrible but the pill is worse.
Heard their might be some shots to take but Jack D ain't very cheap. It's been 5 days and I'm feeling pretty handycapped around the house/garage.

any ideas, good laughs accepted. OGR

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
Old 12-17-2022, 05:44 PM
Senior Chief

My brother in law and a neighbor drink Tart Cherry Juice when their gout flares up and say that it helps a a lot.

Old 12-17-2022, 05:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had gout about 20 years ago, don't remember it tasting bad?
It cleared it up in a few days taking the pills. (and it is a horrible pain)

After that, have been taking allopurinol to keep from getting it again.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 12-17-2022, 07:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue67gtoragtop View Post
My brother in law and a neighbor drink Tart Cherry Juice when their gout flares up and say that it helps a a lot.
My wife is an RN, I asked her about this post, those were her exact suggestions, Bing cherry juice.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 12-17-2022, 07:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

I have episodes of gout and at the first sign, or as a preventative measure if I've had foods that I know can trigger a flare-up, I take cranberry pills.

Everyone is likely a bit different, but whole milk is my main trigger. After getting married, I switched to whole milk from 2% which is what my wife likes better. She also likes milk quite a bit more, so it increased in my diet. That's when I started getting episodes. Typically about ever 3 months or so. Switching back to 2% milk cut my flare-ups by about 70%.

While you have a flare up, stay away from anything with purines in it. Beer, milk, red meat, asparagus. Try and keep your joints warm, that will deter further crystallization of the uric acid.

Old 12-17-2022, 07:11 PM
Senior Chief

2XX on the black cherry juice, get the 100% pure stuff, works on my gout every time!

Old 12-17-2022, 07:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can try the black cherry juice. It used to help me some. For about the last three flare ups I’ve gotten the shot. It knocks the pain down tremendously & fast. I’m surprised they didn’t give you one. It’s kinda standard procedure, it seems.

I take allopurinol daily now & kinda watch my diet. I can’t remember how long it’s been since I’ve had a flair up & that’s just fine with me.
My thoughts go out to you. It’s probably the most pain I’ve experienced & I’ve crashed a couple motorcycles bad and had a few heart surgeries. No real comparison.
ETA, my lovely wife says she believes the injection was cortisone. She was apprehensive about at the time but now thinks it was the reason get choice.

Hang in there !

Murf

Old 12-17-2022, 10:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I ve did all of the above. Even stopped my daily supper beer. Nothing helped. Would get it in feet but once in knee and so bad and painfull can;t even bend to get in car to go to Dr. Took awille taking allopurinol but know doing good. Heat seemed to be my enemy for feet and ankles.

Old 12-17-2022, 10:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I fought it for a year or two about 10 years ago. I don’t believe in taking drugs daily as a crutch,if I can prevent it on my own, so I changed my diet. My trigger is usually red meat, and roast/ corned beef being far worse than ground beef for some reason. I just try to eat it in moderation, and eat more fish, chicken and pork instead. Cherry juice didn’t do anything for me when I had a flare up.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 12-18-2022, 12:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've never had it, but my dad had it a couple of times a year in his late 60s and 70s. As others have said, red meat is a common trigger. Dad used to sit in his recliner with his legs wrapped up in a blanket with heating pads across his knees and feet.

Eat more fish, checken, and pork.

Old 12-18-2022, 01:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

OGR, I believe in divine healing. I'm living proof of it...more than once!!!

Nothing wrong with doctors or any cures folks here. Have been blessed with!!!

I'll be praying for healing from your head to your toes. (Amen) God says, all we have to do is ask!!! I'm asking!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
The Following User Says Thank You to 77 TRASHCAN For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2022, 09:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

All the above, except the pork. no pork.

Include 1 gram Vit C every morning. Proper omega-3 oils; olive, fish, avocado.

No more soybean oil, or omega-6 oild; chips, mayo, salad dressings, processed foods. Heck, greatly reduce eating processed food.

Include garlic, cayenne pepper, tumeric, and celery in your meals. No snacking between meals to allow blood "sugars" to go down. Fasting between meals will help.

The Following User Says Thank You to Half-Inch Stud For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2022, 11:17 AM

Clinic prescribed indomethacin. It would normally subside within a day after taking it.. Been taking Uric Cleanse from the health food store daily for a few years along with watching the diet and havent had a flare up.

The Following User Says Thank You to Big Bear For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2022, 04:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had gout since my mid 20's, it runs in my family, it's not fun. I had it so bad in both feet once years ago that I had to literally crawl around the house. It's not nearly as bad now as it was when I was younger, but for the past 10 years or so I've been getting it in my knees and elbows which can swell up pretty bad. Weather changes seem to bring it on too, but it's not like those acute attacks you get in your feet/toes/ankles. Laying off sodas or anything with high-fructose corn syrup has helped me a lot, but mild attacks still come & go. I only take Ibuprofen for it now when needed. Allopurinol never worked for me, Indomethacin works for acute attacks if you can stomach it.

Old 12-18-2022, 06:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If possible change your diet. Do your research on the meds. I have a friend on dialysis now from long term use of gout meds. I don't know which one(s). I'm talking 20 years or so, not short term.

Old 12-18-2022, 08:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I got it too. Went off the allopurinol 4 years ago, I wanted to see if I could beat it without the pills. I drink the cherry juice almost daily. I dont eat as much red meat as I used too. Beer was my down fall and triggered it the most. I do get a small flare up in my knees every year around the beginning of May from eating fresh aspargus for two months straight, I cant resist it. I hope the flare up goes away fast!!

Old 12-21-2022, 05:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

update. 12-16 my doc ordered Febuxostat . I took one pill. Stopped. 2 days later started taking the pill for 2 days. On Monday 12-19 I called my doc to see if she would renew an old prescription of Oxycontin I had left over from my April 20 back surgery. She said if I was in that much pain, go to ER NOW. OK. ER gave me a steroid through IV. Next morning 25-30 % less pain. Was told to stop Febuxostat and take Predizone for 13 days starting with 6 a day down to 1 a day. Then to day 12-21 Docs got their collective minds together and said take these 2 pills 1 hour apart. Colchicine. Still very little use of left hand. Walking better.
OH yeah kidney numbers not good either.
"It is what it is ". OGR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2801.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	603879  

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
Old 12-21-2022, 06:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yikes! I remember those days. The steroid should help, that helped me during flare ups more than the gout specific meds.
I’d figure out what triggers it for you, otherwise this will reoccur.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 12-22-2022, 08:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My dad suffered/suffers from gout. He is from the old country and his remedy is yellow raisins soaked in some type of alcohol... rum or whiskey? I don't remember because I thought it was hocus pocus, but he swears by it

Old 12-22-2022, 11:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've never had it thank God. I take a Centrum pill daily for Men 50 +. All of the good stuff is in it. Maybe that helps keep it away... I hope.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.