Old 06-13-2005, 08:40 PM

IMy 71 bird is stock 350 less true duals and a Petronix. I have a HEI from a 74 bird I believe and am wondering what real benifits to putting in the HEI as opposed to just leaving the petronix? I really like the ease of it, but my orig distributor does have a little bit of up and down loose-play to it.

Now part2, how difficult is putting in the HEI (a mech that looked at it last year, before having the HEI, said it was already wired for HEI and that I should have just gone with the HEI instead of the petronix)well, didn't have the HEI then, but do now.

How hard is it to change dist? and any tips to know before hand or to watch out for. This will be a first, I've never done anything other than put in the petronix with the mech who made the comment, but he's gone now, so it will most likely be a solo job. I'm a noob, so very hesitent on trying since it's the daily driver and don't want to screw it up...lol. Any advice is greatly appreciated as always!

Old 06-14-2005, 07:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Dave's Small Body HEIs!!!

http://www.davessmallbodyheis.com

The only way to go!

V/R,
Ty

Old 06-16-2005, 08:02 AM

Thanks for the reply Ty...will check it out, but I do already have a unit I just bought. I guess it should be tuned up by a pro before thinking about putting it in, but wondering what noticeable benefits over the stock/petronix it would be?? any thoughts?
Thanks

Old 06-16-2005, 08:15 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Dave Ray converts your stock points distributor to full HEI or MSD trigger and will set up your distributor on his machine FOR YOUR APPLICATION!
You can't beat his prices or the service he provides!! Check out his website and then give him a call! Trust me you won't be disappointed!
V/R,
Ty

p.s. Plus it's smaller than a real HEI and looks like a stock points dist for the stealthy approach!

Old 06-27-2005, 08:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you want to use the stock GM HEI, you should buy the "pink" wire from Year one and install it in your harness at the fusebox. This will plug right into that Hei unit, you will no longer need the yellow wire that ran down to the start from the coil wire. Youll end up with the vac advance facing the driver, to get most adjustment. The distributor most likely will have a "BLAA" curve to it , a vac advance that pulls at 10 inches, and basic performance, you can get a recurve kit, and an adjustable vac advance (chevy ype) so it hits your intake.
The above post is the best idea, but this may help you iget going if your in a pinch with it.

Old 06-30-2005, 09:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My Pertronix upgrade from points was a noticeable difference on my 73 400 - much smoother, more responsive. Some of this might've been due to the fact that the points had been so hammered and pitted...

I've swapped in an HEI from my other bird, and didn't notice a significant difference.

Consider some different factors - price, desired performance, etc. Do you plan on doing engine upgrades that will necessitate something better than the stock distributor with Pertronix? I think the stock HEI is large and a bit unsightly.

My best ignition upgrade recently was getting a new points distributor from Autozone for $35 and swapping in my Pertronix from the old one. It did me just fine. I now have a new fully functioning mechanical and vacuum advance.

Old 07-01-2005, 08:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll second what Squidward said. I like my Pertronix II as well. I've had them in two cars for many years with no problem.

As a side note, one day I'd like to see a comparitive article with a freshly dyno-tuned engine with a perfect working points distributer then swap in the 4 or so conversion kits out there. Also, have an HEI swapped in to to see how that compares.

Old 07-01-2005, 12:27 PM

Thanks guys!.... I haven't had a lick of problems with my Petronix, works fine and has since day one, although I do have a slight bit of up/down play with my orig dist...I have the HEI sittin in a box on the shelf, so if not noticable upgrade, then I'll leave well enough alone...I'm not experienced enough to know if the slight up/down play affects the performance..??...
I do have plans in the future of puttin a new intake (poncho) and a quad (when $$ come in, and I'd have it done up by Cliff R)...
Do you think there's any significant performance loss with the slight shim/play?
Thanks!