WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 1993-02 Firebird/Trans Am Owners > 93-02 Suspension Tech

93-02 Suspension Tech springs, sway bars, trailing arms, lowering kits, etc.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:29 PM
Senior Chief

Default Sub-Frame Connectors

For 76 Trans Am. I am doing some suspension upgrades and took a look at the Lakewood (same look as the Competition Engineering) frame connectors I put on over 15 yrs ago. I checked out the Hotchkis 4013 connectors on-line and they are a larger and thicker metal unit that seems to have stronger attaching points. They are 2 to 3 times the cost. I am debating to either stick with my old ones or switch to Hotchkis (I wont be doing the type that requires floor cutting-welding, although I wouldn't be surprised they are better). Any experience with the CE vs Hotchkis that could be shared here will be much appreciated.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:38 PM
Senior Chief

Before looking at subframe connectors, look into solid body mounts. Get your frame locked to the body. This stops most body-to-frame flex by unifying the chassis and frame.

Your best bolt-on connector will be from Pro-Touring F-Body. The PTFB (Pro-Touring F-Body) subframe connector actually ties the frame sections together which is the structure of the car.
http://pro-touringf-body.com/chassis_components.html

Your best frame connector for chassis rigidity is probably Detroit Speed but the issue with their setup is the intense amount of work. You need to cut through the floor with their setup and weld everything. Far from a bolt-on beside...
https://www.detroitspeed.com/1970-19...irebird-010103

I would stay away from the Competion Engineering subframe connector. That setup bolts up the the spring pocket and clamps on top of the frame bushing. Not a very strong design.