WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 Interior Tech

04-06 Interior Tech Everything that goes on inside the GTO. Dash related, Upholstery related, Console related, etc.

Old 01-05-2005, 01:14 PM

Got the kit. Now I need to know how to take the console apart to install it. Anyone have some first-hand experience?
Old 01-05-2005, 01:14 PM

Got the kit. Now I need to know how to take the console apart to install it. Anyone have some first-hand experience?
Old 01-05-2005, 03:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

First, welcome to the forum!

Second, you need to remove a screw that is under the compartment (under the radio).

After that, open the consol lid, and start pulling up carefully along the sides of the console, starting at the rear of it and working your way forward. The top comes off independantly of the sides. If you have the stock shift handle (I don't) you might have to pull the shift boot up in order to get enough room to (pull up along the edges. it is attached to the stick).

The console will lift up and out of the way.

I am not sure if you need to remove the radio to install the smokers kit. If so, take 4 small phillips head screwdrivers, and push them in the holes. apply outward (towards the doors)pressure on all 4 and start wiggling. It takes a bit of messing with to get it out, but it will eventually come out. The lower left side of the radio is where the plugs are, and you hav to overcome a lot of friction, with not too much leverage.

They also sell a tool for the job, but I replaced my head unit, and only needed to remove it once.

"I open up three deuces, I'm Never Coming Back!"

Old 01-06-2005, 08:56 PM
Senior Chief

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Old-GTO:
Got the kit. Now I need to know how to take the console apart to install it. Anyone have some first-hand experience? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why not just stop smoking??
Old 01-07-2005, 10:24 PM

Randy W, You must work for Microsoft. Whenever I ask them questions, I get the same kind of responses....useless to me, but they think they're providing me with great wisdom.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:31 PM

Don`t smoke in the car.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:16 AM
Senior Chief

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Old-GTO:
Randy W, You must work for Microsoft. Whenever I ask them questions, I get the same kind of responses....useless to me, but they think they're providing me with great wisdom. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I was just kidding!