Old 12-21-2016, 10:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There has been no mention of possibly having Crower make this crank for you. It's clear Bryant is not interested. Moldex will certainly make a very nice billet crankshaft for you at a fair price, but I would be simply amazed if they could get to you in 1 year from the time it is ordered and deposit received. Like the cranks, but just so very slow on delivery and my experience is you have to create lots of drama or you will never get it. I don't know if Crower can do this for you, but if you give them a call, you need to talk to Peter Harris, exclusively and explain exactly what you wish to do. They are really nice to deal with and you will have a finished crankshaft in 16 weeks, the longest, if they can do it. Best of luck with this project.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
There has been no mention of possibly having Crower make this crank for you. It's clear Bryant is not interested. Moldex will certainly make a very nice billet crankshaft for you at a fair price, but I would be simply amazed if they could get to you in 1 year from the time it is ordered and deposit received. Like the cranks, but just so very slow on delivery and my experience is you have to create lots of drama or you will never get it. I don't know if Crower can do this for you, but if you give them a call, you need to talk to Peter Harris, exclusively and explain exactly what you wish to do. They are really nice to deal with and you will have a finished crankshaft in 16 weeks, the longest, if they can do it. Best of luck with this project.
Thank You . ill have to try them. Cant hurt right.. Sounds easier then the rest..

Old 12-22-2016, 02:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I got my Bryant about 2 months ago. '400' style in the range of 34-3500 and included fully counter-weighted, knife edged, hi speed oiling and REM polishing. 4.125" stroke and BBC rods.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

FYI,last year I contacted Velaso for a V8 crank,was reasonable and like a month lead time.Henry makes a lot of top fuel cranks so he might be busy right now.Might give he a call to see if he can"widdle"a 4 cyc crank.Tom

Old 12-22-2016, 02:16 PM
Boost Engineer

From talking to Voigt years ago, Tom S, who did Mickey Thompson's cranks?

Not Henry obviously, Joe?

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Joe made them but Henry worked for him.Tom

Old 12-22-2016, 04:53 PM
Boost Engineer

Was aware that Henry worked for Joe, you told me that several years ago.
Well Mickey had some great cranks if Joe made them.

Tom V.

For the other PY members I am speaking of Joe Reath
(Obit from months ago below):

Before we go, I wanted to acknowledge the passing two weeks ago of noted engine and crankshaft builder Joe Reath, who died Jan. 4. Reath, a founding member of the Road Rebels Car Club of Los Angeles in 1937, ran Reath Automotive in Signal Hill, Calif., for 50 years (1956-2006) with his wife, Dellie, who survives him.

Reath also was well-known as a partner with Jim Dunn on his Funny Cars in the 1970s, so I wasn't surprised to hear from the Dunn family.

“Reath Automotive is the place where all the racers went to hang out and share stories,” said Jim Dunn. “Joe was a good friend, and I have a lot of wonderful memories.”

“Joe gave me my first real job when I was 15,” recalled Mike Dunn. “I detailed cranks (used a body grinder and sander to clean up the weld on the stroker cranks) and worked the hot tank (disassembling engines and cleaning for work to be done on them). And obviously, he was my dad’s partner for a number of years, including the rear-engine car [pictured above] when he won the Supernationals.”

As mentioned, Reath’s wife, Dellie, survives him, and I’m sure she would love to hear from old friends and acquaintances or just to hear your appreciation of her husband. She can be reached at delmareath@verizon.net.

Tom V.

ps Henry is Henry Valasco (Velasco Crankshaft Service) Downey CA, 90242

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 12-22-2016 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Joe Reath was well known in the open wheel racing world as well. He ground many Offy and 4 cam Ford cranks.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 12-22-2016, 05:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I talked to Deli about a month or so ago.Tom

Old 12-22-2016, 05:55 PM
Boost Engineer

Hope she is well and will have a nice Christmas with family.
Tom V.

ps You were a very good friend of Joe and Deli, Tom.

Old 03-25-2020, 06:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I finally got a crank. Called Moldex again in 2019 and got a cheaper price an went with it. Joe does nice work... He said he has done 6 or 7 of these cranks now. I didnt know there were others out there doing 4cylinders..

Old 03-25-2020, 09:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie66 View Post
I finally got a crank. Called Moldex again in 2019 and got a cheaper price an went with it. Joe does nice work... He said he has done 6 or 7 of these cranks now. I didnt know there were others out there doing 4cylinders..
How much power are you planning on pushing now that you have a billet crank ? Going to turn it up a bunch ?

Old 03-26-2020, 01:02 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie66 View Post
... I didnt know there were others out there doing 4cylinders...
Post #10

Old 03-26-2020, 06:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gifford View Post
I have found nothing wrong with the custom billet crank Moldex did for me. They (guy named Joe) would have preferred a sample, but no such thing existed (flat crank for driver's-side bank of a V8). After my extensive description, and his double-checking of crucial items, he got everything right (and accurate). It's "good" 4340, eight counterweights, and surface-hardened- all 91 pounds of it! Took about six months altogether and cost me $3,600.
I must of missed this..

So you didnt use this crank?

I thought you modified a stock v8 crank with all those gold counterweights, or was that the crank that Joe made for you?

Old 03-26-2020, 06:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Im looking for the crank to last longer then 3 months. So ill set the power level in the middle of where its been and leave it for awhile until the shell shock of it cracking goes away . The crank lived for 6 years at 550-580 hp. its not that im afraid of this crank failing. I just need time for it all to set in and move on to other aspects of the car like the suspension . When the power is up around 700-750 the car is like a loose canon. Its all over the place . So i have ideas on getting that under control.

As for turning it up more then i had it , idk. Ive had it way up before and the power gets un-usable for the street . I have to start out in second gear just to get down the road . I think that is what helped fracture the crank most of the time . 3.50 ring an pinion starting out in second with 27" tire . On high boost a 90 degree day it would still fry the tires. Now i have have to start thinking about the block being the weak link. I have broken one of those too. But it was just a cylinder, no crack up the middle or anything.. I think that would take a lot to do.