Old 03-28-2020, 04:20 PM

Default leaking freeze plug

the rear freeze plug in the head on the passenger side is leaking. what is the best way to replace it .think I can get it out but not get new one in with no room to work. what is the best way to replace it. do I have to pull engine? someone told me to use expandable rubber plug. are they good to use? thanks for any help

Old 03-28-2020, 04:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Rubber is bunk.They blow out under pressure after a short time.Pull the motor.Put them all in.Done.

Chances are they are all getting borderline.Replace the whole lot.

Old 03-28-2020, 05:03 PM
Suspended

Back in my youth when I didn't have a pot to pee in and the tools to pull engines & drop rusty exhaust pipes, the expandable rubber plugs replaced many a rotted/leaking freeze plug. NEVER an issue with them. I would not pull the engine/head before I tried one and IF it became a problem, then go the pull engine/head route. I would also use a sealant with what they offer today, but never used anything in the past. Just make sure the hole is very clean & smooth. If I did use a sealant, I might even use Indian Shellac in the small bottle and brush applicator - great stuff, but when used on bolts/threads, it can become cement and you will most likely break the bolt trying to undo it, so not for that use, just gaskets.

Old 03-29-2020, 03:17 PM
Senior Chief

If you can remove the old one with an air ratchet and a self tapping screw so you can pull it out, there are threaded holes in the back side of the head that you might be able to span with a piece of steel bar and use that to press a new one in. I had a new plug in the block on the front passenger side that continued to leak, and an engine builder I knew told me they clean the surfaces and use super glue on both surfaces and press them into place. It worked for me and its been 3 years and hasn't leaked a drop. Hope this helps and good luck.

Old 03-30-2020, 05:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

An idea from post #4.

Get some 3/16" steel or alum plate wide enough to span the holes in the back of the head, & wide enough to cover the welsh plug.

And no need to remove the old plug!!

Clean the paint off around the plug, back to bare metal. Use silicon under the plate around the plug & bolt the plate to the head.