Old 03-21-2020, 10:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question Water pump choice

I'm switching back to a belt driven watwr pump from the electric one I'm using now. Back when I had one on the car it was just an Auto parts store remanufactured. Is the Flow Cooler or Milodon pump that much better for cooling.? I know about setting the clearance on the divider plate, just wondering about which pump to buy.

Old 03-21-2020, 11:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought a Flow Cooler to replace a stock 11 bolt pump and also with a 8 bolt setup and saw no diff.I guess I'm lucky as I have NEVER check clearance on a water pump.I have cast impellers in all of my pumps.The 455 I just took out of my bird which has a stock 350 auto radiator.Has a flex fan and has always run low temps no matter what size engine has been it it.366 RA V,455 RA V,455 D port.Just dumped a 434 RA V in the car today.Will see if this has any change.I run 160 thermostats.FWIW,Tom

Old 03-22-2020, 09:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Milodon pumps wouldn't last a season on a street/strip pump for us. We started using PRW and have never looked back. They do come with the "wrong" impeller but never have had one run hot.

Old 03-22-2020, 09:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
Milodon pumps wouldn't last a season on a street/strip pump for us. We started using PRW and have never looked back. They do come with the "wrong" impeller but never have had one run hot.
What do you mean by the wrong impeller?

Old 03-22-2020, 10:26 AM
Suspended

https://butlerperformance.com/n-1339...ter-pumps.html

Butler and forget it..

Old 03-22-2020, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Made no diff in my applications!NONE!Tom

Old 03-22-2020, 10:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
Cool information on impellers. Looking at the cast impeller compared to the machined one, wouldnt the curved impeller work better than a flat one? Like a fan blade works better with a curved shape

Old 03-22-2020, 10:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My PRW pump came with a cast impeller and works fine on my street strip car. I just wanted it for the aluminum main body which is so much lighter than a factory iron pump. Has been in use for about 10 yrs now...

Old 03-22-2020, 12:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Stoneburg View Post
What do you mean by the wrong impeller?
The one I have on the shelf has a stamped impeller and a lot of folks claim they don't work as well as the cast... We've never had an issue with either. I thought I remember them having the cast impeller and Firechicken's post supports my memory. So evidently they've used both impeller's over the years.

Old 03-22-2020, 01:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Seen a milodon pump spin the pressed on impeller off. Was on a Ford 460. Not sure if they're still made like that or not, this was 10+ years ago

Old 03-23-2020, 02:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I will have to pull out my old HO Racing catalog-I could swear they felt stamped impellers worked better.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
The Following User Says Thank You to Skip Fix For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2020, 07:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Probably gping to switch to the belt driven pump this weekend. I'm going to try and put the sleeves back in the timing cover without removing the cover from the motor. Hopefullly its not too difficult. I remember taking them out was not easy.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok, results time. ..
Bought a Master Brand water pump. Had a cast impeller. Set the clearance to the divider plate, which started out much more than I thought. It was almost a 1/4" with the gasket. I set it close to .030 " . had some unexpected hiccups. Like the bolts had to be changed because the allen headed bolts were recessed into the electric pump were not long enough for the mechanical pump. Took 3 times to get the correct belt length. ( guys at auto store had no clue how to find a 44" belt without a application. I had to go back and help him) But when I took it for a drive, 10-15 miles only, it runs 15-20 cooler than with the electric pump.
Now hopefully it cost me less than a tenth at the track.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200329_182413.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	535735  

Old 03-30-2020, 12:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
The one I have on the shelf has a stamped impeller and a lot of folks claim they don't work as well as the cast... We've never had an issue with either. I thought I remember them having the cast impeller and Firechicken's post supports my memory. So evidently they've used both impeller's over the years.
My TA ran about 175 (going by the factory gauge). Was doing some other preventive maintenance ( this was likely the early 80’s). Replaced the water pump, just because. Bought a NEW Sealed Power pump, cast impeller. Engine never ran as cool as before. Of course I had no knowledge of clearancing the impeller plate...bla

Car has had a 350 in it for too long. When I was assembling the engine, the parts store I worked in got a new line of water pumps in (imports, of course). Their Pontiac pump was aluminum!!! Thinking I stumbled onto something good, I put one on the 350, had cast impeller. It just cooled same as replacement on original 400, then the pump gave up, with very low miles. Brand was something like GMB, was the name, junk.

Point of the above... I bought a brand new AC Delco pump. Had iron housing and stamped impeller. I had to swap pumps one evening at my work, the TA was my only running vehicle at the time. I clearanced the impeller just like Jim Hand did in his book. The engine started running as cool again as it did when. Ew, even though it’s a stockish 350.

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
The Following User Says Thank You to 77 TRASHCAN For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 09:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Stoneburg View Post
Ok, results time. ..
Bought a Master Brand water pump. Had a cast impeller. Set the clearance to the divider plate, which started out much more than I thought. It was almost a 1/4" with the gasket. I set it close to .030 " . had some unexpected hiccups. Like the bolts had to be changed because the allen headed bolts were recessed into the electric pump were not long enough for the mechanical pump. Took 3 times to get the correct belt length. ( guys at auto store had no clue how to find a 44" belt without a application. I had to go back and help him) But when I took it for a drive, 10-15 miles only, it runs 15-20 cooler than with the electric pump.
Now hopefully it cost me less than a tenth at the track.
Nice results!