Old 12-18-2017, 09:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default '64 Rocker Molding Attachment

My car came with the supposed "late" style clips as evidenced by the original holes in the rockers. A pair of round holes for each clip, small round hole for top of clip, larger round hole for bottom of clip.

To my knowledge, these clips are only on the body, 6 per side.

The question is how to attach the moldings to the front fender.

Please confirm that there should not be a clip on the front fender, just a screw correct?

What holds the screw to the fender?

Pix would be great.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:25 AM
Suspended

There should be a slot in the heel of the fender about 1/4" x 3/4" that a plastic nut snaps into. The rocker moulding snaps onto the clips on the rocker panel, then 1 counter-sunk Phillips head stainless screw goes into the hole at the front of the moulding and into the plastic nut that is snapped into the fender.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:37 AM
Suspended

Here are a couple of photos

Old 12-18-2017, 11:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

John,

A couple more pics showing the round plastic snap-in screw receptical on my 66.

Chris.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3CC9A454-6941-41A1-AB1A-4A810EDDB210.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	470338   Click image for larger version

Name:	F4B4D2B4-8905-436A-8226-12BAE3C9B3F0.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	470339  

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Chief, thanks but what you show conflicts with my fenders.

My passenger side RH fender is original to my '64 GTO. It only has a screw hole in the area where you show the rectangular hole. See attached pic while it was being prepped. When disassembled, it was still wearing the original GTO fender emblem. You can see the hole for the rocker molding screw.

My driver side LH fender was crunched and was replaced with a wrecking yard fender from a Tempest. It never had the 2 holes for the GTO emblem.

It DOES have that rectangular hole which I had welded up believing it was wrong for the GTO. I always assumed that rectangular hole was for a non-GTO purpose. Now as I think about it, the Tempest used the same rocker molding, didn't it?

So now I'm wondering if there was an early (my car was assembled Nov '63 at Fremont) fender piercing that just had a screw hole and a late piercing with the rectangular hole? Perhaps a design improvement?

The screw was p/n 187605, a 8-15x3/4" stainless steel oval head screw according to the MPC which also gives a p/n for a nylon nut for the front fender.

Though it looks to me that the nylon nut for the slot would never have fit the small screw hole on my fender.

Any other info about this? Anybody else seen '64 fenders that did NOT have the rectangular slot?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7603.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	470367  

Old 12-18-2017, 06:43 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
...Any other info about this? Anybody else seen '64 fenders that did NOT have the rectangular slot?
To answer your question, haven’t seen any without the rectangular holes. The stuff I see listed on E-Bay has said holes.

FYI, my original 64 GTO fenders-Pontiac Plant, third week of June-both had the rectangular holes. These fenders were too far gone to save (the result of Midwest salty winter roads and long-term storage) and were replaced with some AZ desert Lemans fenders; they also have the rectangular holes.

Old 12-18-2017, 06:50 PM
Suspended

NOS/GM replacement fenders had either no holes at all or just the slot for the rocker moulding. All other trim holes had to be added.

Your right fender was a replacement. GM never made a GTO specific fender in that era.

Old 12-18-2017, 11:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

RH fender was original to the car, never replaced.

I very much understand the idea of PMD Service Replacement '64 A body fenders, one size fits all. But Service Replacement is not necessarily evidence of what was done at Final Assembly.

In any event, I'm dealing with factory fenders not SR, one original to the car, the other (with the slot) that was original to a Grenadier Red non-GTO.

For me, the round hole is typical.

I posted because I was asked if there was supposed to be a clip on the fender. I was sure there wasn't but wanted to be able to say I checked.

Never expected to hear guys say they have never seen the round hole, just the slot.

Thanks for the responses, gives me a direction to take.

Old 12-18-2017, 11:21 PM
Suspended

The real question is

Did you buy the car new?

Old 12-18-2017, 11:58 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
The real question is

Did you buy the car new?
Nevermind.

Cars came in "damaged in shipping" or damaged at the plant and shoved into the repair area.

Old 12-19-2017, 11:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Chief, I understand your frustration with me. But I do know a little bit about the '64 GTO. Let's just agree to disagree.

What about the rear quarter screw hole? Same oval head screw used? What about the hole? Was there a nylon nut used on that end?

Old 12-19-2017, 11:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
What about the rear quarter screw hole? Same oval head screw used? What about the hole? Was there a nylon nut used on that end?
No nylon nut on the back end.

Don’t intend to butt in, but the back of the rocker panel moldings just had a hole to accommodate the Phillips screw.

That is a fixed end of the mounding, whereas the front of the molding “fender” can have a little play with the bottom shims for alignment reasons, which allows for movement, up and down in the rectangle area.

Chris.

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:03 PM
Senior Chief

John,..I have had many '64 GTO's since 1967(still have 2),have seen many fenders off of oem cars,tempests,lemans,GTOs,still have some oem fenders for inventory and they ALL
have the slot for the plastic anchor,never a round hole,never!!...also the rear rocker support is just a hole in the rocker panel for the tapered head screw...
John,...show us a pic of your fender area with the round hole you speak of,I as well as others would be interested.
P.S...I've seen repop fenders with no holes,you had to drill one once you aligned your fender.

Old 12-19-2017, 12:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

John, I have a Nov. '63 build Fremont Tempest Custom which is the same Plant and month as your GTO if I remember correctly. Although not a GTO, it has the rocker moldings. It is currently at the paint shop. I will check my photos to see if I have a hole or slot and let you know. And yes, it has the original fenders.

Old 12-19-2017, 01:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

tempest1964 that would be great. Fremont Nov. 1963, does that match to yours?

Bluesugar, see post #5 for pic of my RH fender.

Chris, your explanation makes logical sense. And why I suggested in post #5 that perhaps the slot was a running change as a design improvement for the very reason you state.

No chance there was a repop fender on my GTO. Can't recall if the fenders were date stamped as so many other sheet metal components were? If so I can check for that. They do have the p/n stamping, do the repops? But if tempest1964 tells me his similar vintage Fremont fenders have the slot I will accept the majority opinion.

Old 12-19-2017, 03:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
No chance there was a repop fender on my GTO. Can't recall if the fenders were date stamped as so many other sheet metal components were? If so I can check for that. They do have the p/n stamping, do the repops? But if tempest1964 tells me his similar vintage Fremont fenders have the slot I will accept the majority opinion.
'65 Fenders have a date stamp in a visible area; I would imagine '64 does as well.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 12-20-2017, 07:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

John, apologies for the delay. I had a battery issue with my new phone. I cannot post a picture from my new phone. My old phone, I can still access photos but not post them. With that in mind, my Nov. of '63 Fremont built Tempest Custom has the rectangular holes in the front fenders. I will post a picture as soon as my phone is up and running again.
Tony

Old 01-29-2019, 07:07 PM
Senior Chief

For 1964

John,

I may be a bit too late for the cause, but if you or anyone else needs these dimensions, I have these numbers readily accessible.
As far as the rectangular slots (adjustment), I have seen these in 1963 builds. I believe the plane Jane Tempest, Tempest Custom, and LeMans all received the rocker molding. Must have been a fluke that yours did not receive it, or it was a replacement panel as stated earlier.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:25 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Chief, thanks but what you show conflicts with my fenders.

My passenger side RH fender is original to my '64 GTO. It only has a screw hole in the area where you show the rectangular hole. See attached pic while it was being prepped. When disassembled, it was still wearing the original GTO fender emblem. You can see the hole for the rocker molding screw.

My driver side LH fender was crunched and was replaced with a wrecking yard fender from a Tempest. It never had the 2 holes for the GTO emblem.

It DOES have that rectangular hole which I had welded up believing it was wrong for the GTO. I always assumed that rectangular hole was for a non-GTO purpose. Now as I think about it, the Tempest used the same rocker molding, didn't it?

So now I'm wondering if there was an early (my car was assembled Nov '63 at Fremont) fender piercing that just had a screw hole and a late piercing with the rectangular hole? Perhaps a design improvement?

The screw was p/n 187605, a 8-15x3/4" stainless steel oval head screw according to the MPC which also gives a p/n for a nylon nut for the front fender.

Though it looks to me that the nylon nut for the slot would never have fit the small screw hole on my fender.

Any other info about this? Anybody else seen '64 fenders that did NOT have the rectangular slot?
I do, John, Screw Hole in the Fender, not a slot. And you know my car very well. The hole in your fender in Pic #5 is identical in size and location to my right fender.
I have the rocker moldings currently off the car being polished so very easy to see the hole(s).

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 01-29-2019 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:00 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
I do, John, Screw Hole in the Fender, not a slot. And you know my car very well. The hole in your fender in Pic #5 is identical in size and location to my right fender.
I have the rocker moldings currently off the car being polished so very easy to see the hole(s).

Tom V.
Pictures?????