Old 03-11-2020, 08:27 AM

Default hard start

67 400 eng, rebuild carb. it is the quad jet that came with the car, choke works good car runs good , but if i let car sit for a day or two i go to start eng, i pump 5 times before i start, no start when turn eng, on i have to pump 5 to 6 times when eng. is turning over, its like no gas in the bowls. anyone else have this going on thanks for all your help

Old 03-11-2020, 11:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Fill float bowl with fuel before crank. Use small funnel & about 4 ounces of gas. Then crank normally.

Carb has to have fuel in it. Crappy gas today evaporates when sitting.

Old 03-11-2020, 11:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

1968 and earlier Quadrajets has the leak prone brass plugs in bottom of float bowl.
These brass plugs needs to be knocked out and replaced with 1/2" UNF threaded plugs.

Also, the starting procedure is push the pedal once to set choke closed, then turn key to "start" and let the fuel pump fill the carb with fuel, there is NO gain pumping the pedal with an empty carb. This may take 10-15 seconds. If engine still wont start, stop, push the pedal once again and repeat turning the key. Never pump the pedal at any time or you may loose the acc-pump cup.

HTH

http://gtoaa.org/
Old 03-11-2020, 11:37 AM

this car does not have elc. pump

Old 03-11-2020, 11:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Accelerator pump cup.

Inside carburetor.

Old 03-11-2020, 12:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My car does the same thing when sitting for extended periods, however, it will sit all day when I'm at work, and start right up at the end of the day.

As mentioned, the problem is after sitting, the fuel evaporates from the carburetor bowl, or in some carbs, leaks out from the plugs on the bottom.

To start these, set the choke, and crank for 5 seconds or so to get fuel into the carb. Push the accelerator down to squirt some fuel into the engine and recrank. You may need to repeat once or twice.

A better way is to squirt some fuel directly into the bowl using a syringe or similar device to minimize the amount of cranking. Once the engine starts, the fuel pump will fill the carb more quickly.

George

Old 03-11-2020, 01:43 PM

yes this is what i am doing, just strange that all the gas would go away in bowls ,i never seen any leaking, thanks u guys for the help

Old 03-11-2020, 03:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhard View Post
this car does not have elc. pump
Turning the key to "start" position makes the engine spin and fuel pump filling the carb.

http://gtoaa.org/
Old 03-11-2020, 03:38 PM

sorry i thought you were taking about a elc. pump, thanks