THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2020, 07:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Coronavirus

I have not contracted it and I know no one, personally, that has. Have any of you, or anyone you know personally contracted this virus? What are your thoughts? How worried are you about this virus?

Old 03-12-2020, 08:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe. Was just chatting with my boss. Our sales team and he (service manager) did a trade show in Atlanta a couple weeks ago. One of our sales staff has most symptoms, went to doctor, was questioned about having traveled internationally. Doc chose not to use a test kit, I guess they're in short supply. Said no but didn't tell doc about being at a huge convention hall recently and shaking who knows how many hands.

Old 03-12-2020, 08:27 PM
Suspended

Dont know anyone personally but there is a confirmed case 25 mins from me. They have shut down all local schools for 2 weeks starting monday... apparently, it will all be over in 2 weeks..lol

Old 03-12-2020, 08:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just shut down our schools for 2 weeks. Plus DOT centers here in Montgomery County Pa.

TOM
Old 03-12-2020, 08:45 PM
Senior Chief

Don't know anybody. Was planning on a train trip next week to visit my parents in PA. My parents called last night and they are VERY concerned about this, especially that my immune system isn't great. We are cancelling our trip. I'm not really worried, but my parents are, so we'll do it again later.

'69 Firebird 400 - Goldenrod Yellow, 455 +.060, '6s-7' heads, Comp Cam 276AH-10 (51-309-4), TH400, Ford 9-inch w/3.08, 800cfm Q-jet, Stock Intake, Hooker Headers, Flowmasters
'68 Coronet 500 Convertible - Medium Gold Metallic, stock 318 +100,000 miles
Old 03-12-2020, 08:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I live in Wake County NC. There have been eight people tested positive for coronavirus. I think five of those work at the loca Biogen facility, and picked it up at a conference in Mass. Two more were related to a lawyer, not sure where he picked it up.

My company has cut travel between the three plants in the Raleigh area, and is not approving any travel to suppliers or customers. My boss has a young baby at home, has been working from home for the last week. I'm still going in, being very cautious, but I think I'm going to start working from home next week.

Old 03-12-2020, 09:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I travel every week- we had a convention in Maui next week we probably had 100k invested in. Company said everyone is staying home. Willing to lose $$ on the trade show. No domestic travel for at least three weeks. No international travel for a min of 90 days.

Old 03-12-2020, 09:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ohio seems to be pretty aggressive in closing schools and other places where lots of people gather. I think the state has 4 confirmed cases but the Mayor of Dayton says she has information that within the city limits there are probably 1500 carriers. No idea how they come up with a number like that? I am high risk because Old, and multiple time pneumonia survivor. Also don't respond to antibiotics anymore because over-prescribed when younger. My school has suspended in-person classes for the year. I wash my hands and stay away from crowds for now.

Old 03-12-2020, 09:44 PM

I don't know anyone that has CV but the regular Flu season is in full effect here in St. Louis Metro Area.
I spent the last 2 weeks .......at Spring Training for 5 days in Jupiter, FL followed by a 7 day cruise to Southern Caribbean (Aruba, Bon Aire, and Caracau).
Everywhere I went I saw a few people wearing surgical masks.

Went to Wal-Mart today and everyone was stocking up for hunkering down at home.

Old 03-12-2020, 09:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 461 Bird View Post
It's only a matter of time until this thread ends up in the clubhouse for obvious reasons. No I am not worried about the virus. I am worried about the mass hysteria the media is causing.
Maybe, maybe not. No infighting about who’s fault it is or will be or who’s responsible for the fix.

Just concerns we are having for one another here and everywhere! Would be great if this train stays on the decent tracks and doesn’t land in the dog house!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 03-12-2020, 09:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was supposed to fly to Missouri for a 2 week training course this weekend but got a call this morning that all classes have been cancelled.

As much as I am disappointed, I don't want to get stuck in a hotel far from home if flights back to Canada are suspended. I also thought that two weeks of staying at a hotel, passing through airports, and eating in restaurants is also a lot more exposure to strangers compared to being at home.

I have a vacation to Mexico booked for the week after Easter and suspect the smart thing to do will be to cancel and book later. I enjoy going to the Caribbean but do not want to be sick or quarantined in a foreign country with inadequate health care.

I think the risk of being stuck in quarantine for getting into contact with a sick person or flights being cancelled is higher than actually getting sick.

Nothing else to do but wait it out.

Edit: News just confirmed our Prime Minister's wife has the virus after attending a function in Britain several days ago.

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...

Last edited by mrennie; 03-12-2020 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not concerned a bit, business as usual. I did go to the beer store and get a 30 pack of keystone light... i mean that's always smooth. Alcohol kills viruses.

Old 03-12-2020, 10:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not worried, does no good. But definitely concerned.

Family taking precautions as best we can.

Thought I had retired from gardening, but going to do a garden again this year, so I can have fresh vegetables of which I know the source, and who touched them.

Have been wearing latex gloves when working to keep my hands clean; will now be wearing them when shopping.

Hopefully, in a couple of years, there will be a vaccine to take when we take the annual flu vaccine. In the meantime, precautions are in order.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The only cases close to this part of Indiana are in Louisville. Went with my wife to COSTCO to pick up individually wrapped breakfast items for the hospitality ministry. The place looked like looters had descended! No peanut butter, milk, chicken, fish, toilet paper, paper towels, eggs, coffee(?), bread, most canned meat, spaghetti sauce(?) and probably a hundred items I didn’t notice. The fear and panic was palpable. I have to wonder WHAT is next: a run on gasoline or people emptying their bank accounts?

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 03-12-2020, 11:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My wife and I are both in the high risk group so we are staying at home as much as possible. What worries me though is the stock market. We are retired and the only income we have is from SSI and the savings we have in the stock market. Which isn't a lot. I lost over $12,000 last month and will probably lose over $20,000 this month. Even if we stay healthy if we lose much more we will be broke with nothing to live on. This is expected to last at least 4 months. We can only hope people that have the virus will stay home and not spread it. That is what worked in China and S. Korea. The amount of their new cases is way down thanks to the government forcing people to stay home.

Old 03-12-2020, 11:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb The Stock Market Is Not A Savings Acvount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatracer1 View Post
My wife and I are both in the high risk group so we are staying at home as much as possible. What worries me though is the stock market. We are retired and the only income we have is from SSI and the savings we have in the stock market. Which isn't a lot. I lost over $12,000 last month and will probably lose over $20,000 this month. Even if we stay healthy if we lose much more we will be broke with nothing to live on. This is expected to last at least 4 months. We can only hope people that have the virus will stay home and not spread it. That is what worked in China and S. Korea. The amount of their new cases is way down thanks to the government forcing people to stay home.
The stock market is not a savings account.

If you didn’t have money in the stock market or were not watching the news in 2008 - I don’t know of a better example to point to.

Jim

Old 03-13-2020, 12:35 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Work has asked us to put together a plan on how this is going effect our industry (construction).

Thing is- this is all random. There is no way to tell what projects will be shut down, what products will be short or which delivery drivers will get sick.

I’m sure that the NBA execs were wondering how to keep people coming to the games and not worrying about canceling their season

Old 03-13-2020, 01:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This thing is just getting started in this country. Only a few thousand infected nationwide at this time. However, if measures aren't taken to slow the spread we will see over a million infected in just over a month and then 2 million, 4 million, etc. That is the beauty of exponents.

We know this is how fast it spread by observing what is happening in other countries and by what is being seen here in the shorter time it's had to do it's thing.

The thing that kills me is all the people saying "it's no worse than the flu." Hmm... the flu doesn't overwhelm a 1st world country's medical system in just a couple weeks. The flu doesn't kill 800 out of 12,000. The flu doesn't kill 16 residents in an old folks' home in a week.

Like I said, it's just getting rolling. We will see what happens. Check back in a month's time.

I'm concerned because my girlfriend is in a high risk group and has a teenager who doesn't stay home much...

And, beyond the concerns for the health of my loved ones (my immediate family are all older people at high risk and I'm no spring chicken any more either) there's the economic blow. This is going to tank the economy. Restaurants around here are closing left and right due to lack of business. Downtown is a ghost town. I drove a section of freeway today at the height of normal rush hour and on one section didn't see another car. It was spooky...

Old 03-13-2020, 01:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Panic..... no

Very concerned.... yes

On request of my parents, I cancelled flight down to Florida to see them, they are nervous about me bringing something off the plane into their house .... I get it.

Close friends have/had a post elopement party this weekend.... we backed out and so are many others, just too risky for us to catch/carry anything into my mother in laws house ( my wife is her caretaker) ....

I will admit..... I am a little spooked..... I am over-weight and a Type II Diabetic ( under control) ..... so even though I am only 54.... I am also at risk.

I still think the bare shelves at the supermarket is a little silly, but taking proper precautions is not....

Good thing.... I will self quarantine myself to the garage this weekend..... for my own safety ;-)

400HO / TKX 3.27 1ST GEAR-.72OD / 3.36 POSI
HOTCHKIS/UMI/BILSTEIN
Old 03-13-2020, 01:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Roberts View Post
They have shut down all local schools for 2 weeks starting monday... apparently, it will all be over in 2 weeks..lol
Yeah - this part cracks me up.

Also - if my kids’ schools shut down, they’d spend the whole time running around with their friends.