Old 04-03-2020, 07:46 AM

Default Parking Brake Question

I am trying to find a set of rear parking brake cables for a '65 GTO convertible. When I look at an older parts book ('66), I see part number 387621 that fits all "64-'66 (and likely beyond) A & G. It states that the cable is 34" long. Is that the measurement from end-to-end? I have an NOS cable that measures 35" from end-to-end. Is there anyway to make the longer cable fit? Thanks!

Old 04-03-2020, 12:27 PM
Boost Engineer

Yes. Saw this in Hot Rod magazine.

Drill a hole in a piece of 1" "3 sided channel" 1" long.

______
I
I <---------- Drill hole in this wall
I_____ Loop & Washer goes inside the channel

Drill the hole on the left side vertical and point the upper and lower rails to the right.

Now take your brake cable and make a loop that goes around a bolt and washer that fits the channel.

Stick the bolt thru the channel and add a locking nut to the other side of the channel

Now the cable is shorter and the cable will not slip when the parking brake is activated.

You will probably have to grind two "flats" on the washer so that it fits inside of the channel. Now you have shortened the cable by about a inch and it should work fine for years to come.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:18 AM

Does anyone have an original cable? I am interested in the end-to-end measurements. Thanks!

Old 04-05-2020, 10:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Pretty sure I still have my original 64 Cables, will look today and measure.

Old 04-05-2020, 10:57 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmurrell View Post
I am trying to find a set of rear parking brake cables for a '65 GTO convertible. When I look at an older parts book ('66), I see part number 387621 that fits all "64-'66 (and likely beyond) A & G. It states that the cable is 34" long. Is that the measurement from end-to-end? I have an NOS cable that measures 35" from end-to-end. Is there anyway to make the longer cable fit? Thanks!
My May 74 MPC lists the rear cable the same as yours; #387621, 64-72 A & G body, 34” length. I have noticed some discrepancies in the lengths listed in the MPC on various parts such as the speedometer cable, etc. I’ve attached some pics of my OEM 64 GTO cable. Had to use clamps to hold it straight. With the cable portion all the way to the end I get the same 35” that you get (the angle in the last pic is not the best). The NOS should fit with no problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	536400   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	536401   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	536402  

Last edited by 64-3Deuces; 04-05-2020 at 11:10 AM.
Old 04-05-2020, 04:24 PM

Thank you! Answers my question. I was told today that the 34" in the parts book refers to the distance between the inside of each "catch" on the end of the cables.

Old 04-05-2020, 06:27 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmurrell View Post
Thank you! Answers my question. I was told today that the 34" in the parts book refers to the distance between the inside of each "catch" on the end of the cables.
If by "catch" you mean the item circled in red, then yes. I measured between those two items and it is 34" so you should be go to go. I wish the parts book was more clear on where that measurement is taken from. Learn something new everyday...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	536443  

Old 04-05-2020, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64-3Deuces View Post
If by "catch" you mean the item circled in red, then yes. I measured between those two items and it is 34" so you should be go to go. I wish the parts book was more clear on where that measurement is taken from. Learn something new everyday...
Yes...That is it. Learn something new everyday in this hobby! Thanks for your help!