Old 03-15-2018, 04:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptinkafeen View Post
I'm sorry for my ignorance here, I've followed this specific thread from the start. I do more reading than posting. Respectfully, what's happened to Glenn In reading the last few post I am assuming the worst.
-A
Whether we ever find out or not, I do hope he rests in peace. He had more than his fair share of troubles, but he had a good heart at his core.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD73 View Post
Whether we ever find out or not, I do hope he rests in peace. He had more than his fair share of troubles, but he had a good heart at his core.
just to connect the dots for anyone who wants to know;
About Glen's Trans Am...

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 03-15-2018, 08:20 PM

Thank-you for the link. I appreciate it very much.

I have to admit that although I never knew Glenn personally, and have only met a few PY members in the flesh, I find it interesting how "wrapped up" or "entangled", or strangely, "emotionally" invested (at some level) I can get reading some of the post within this forum and even within the the GP pages too. Indeed, the stories of the individuals who owned and own these cars is an integral part of our hobby and community.

Glenn's therapy was his cherished Lucy Blue '72. I appreciated the photo's he shared as I'm about 75% done putting my father's '72 TA back together. Glenn and a whole bunch of you have been instrumental in helping me get to this point - A simply "thank-you" doesn't seem to do justice to those who freely share their intellectual know-how, but never-the-less, a "Thank-you" is all that can be offered. I could not do it without your help.

I think it's a nice gesture that the new owner's of Glenn's "companion" have considered to post their progress of the car's restoration within this thread.

RIP Glenn.
-Andrew

[B]Looking for a '71 casting rochester 7042270 - have a '72 dated 7042270 that can trade?
Old 03-15-2018, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Glenn was all about painting this car white because he already had a set of stripes for a white car until I convinced him what a waste of a perfectly good Lucy blue car that would be. RIP Glenn

Old 03-15-2018, 09:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My condolences ...

Old 03-16-2018, 06:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood View Post
Glenn was all about painting this car white because he already had a set of stripes for a white car until I convinced him what a waste of a perfectly good Lucy blue car that would be. RIP Glenn
I had the exact same conversation with him about the car several years ago. I only met him once face to face but spoke to him on the phone several times. He had collected many, many NOS parts for that car that were all in his first garage. Hopefully, all of them went with the sale of the car, although it sounds that some of the parts were missing.

He was a very nice guy to talk to with a little bit of a troubled life. That car meant everything to him and he sure loved talking about it.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:23 PM
Senior Chief

Ok. Now that TA is safely tuck in my buddy's garage, he and I have had some time to go through whats there and whats not. The shaker and air cleaner are missing and by Glenn's earlier posts saying it was at a shop getting painted, I am thinking he never got it back. Luckily I have an extra 72 scoop laying in extra parts that I have accumulated over the years, it just needed a little love lol. There is some window trim missing along with some other odds and ends. Other than the air cleaner base and some choke pull off parts I think I probably have most of what will be needed to finish. There is NOS weatherstrip with the car though is seems to have some wrinkles. The plan for the car is to take all of the bracketry from a pair of 70 FB fenders that I have and spotweld them in to the later NOS ones with the car, clean and install the original hood and nose. Since we don't know what brand or type of paint is on the car (though I think some is probably rattle can) we will sand it down, fix obvious dings then coat in 2 part epoxy and block out. First thing to do is get the car running, which I am in the process of doing. I cleaned out the gas tank and installed a good used sending unit I had and bolted back in the car. I put the belts on and checked the firing order and bolted the distributor in. It looks like some wiring was replaced on the car, which may be why I have no starter signal, wipers or rear lights. I do have a voltmeter, heater fan, and radio working.I need to check the neutral safety switch and other components. If anyone has a start circuit wiring schematic for a 72 It would be helpful and appreciated. On another note, we tracked down the original owner. She moved a couple years ago and is in her eighties. She said the car was her husband's and does recall the dealer installing the SR block some time around late 73 or so. She couldn't remember why the rear axle was replaced. If anyone has a schematic or any under dash wiring pics, I would really appreciate it. Once we make some progress I will post some pics. Hopefully we can make Glenn proud and finish what he started. Here is a pic of the 72 shaker that had some broken edges so I ground the damage down and applied Dynahair and reshaped the finished off with some glaze filler. I still need to strip the paint and spray epoxy then block sand out. Sorry for the long winded post lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180319_074751.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	479255   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180319_112316.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	479256  

Old 03-27-2018, 09:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Congrats to the new owner, and I look forward to seeing Glenn's dream realized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho4554spd View Post
Ok. Now that TA is safely tuck in my buddy's garage, he and I have had some time to go through whats there and whats not. The shaker and air cleaner are missing and by Glenn's earlier posts saying it was at a shop getting painted, I am thinking he never got it back. Luckily I have an extra 72 scoop laying in extra parts that I have accumulated over the years, it just needed a little love lol. There is some window trim missing along with some other odds and ends. Other than the air cleaner base and some choke pull off parts I think I probably have most of what will be needed to finish. There is NOS weatherstrip with the car though is seems to have some wrinkles. The plan for the car is to take all of the bracketry from a pair of 70 FB fenders that I have and spotweld them in to the later NOS ones with the car, clean and install the original hood and nose. Since we don't know what brand or type of paint is on the car (though I think some is probably rattle can) we will sand it down, fix obvious dings then coat in 2 part epoxy and block out. First thing to do is get the car running, which I am in the process of doing. I cleaned out the gas tank and installed a good used sending unit I had and bolted back in the car. I put the belts on and checked the firing order and bolted the distributor in. It looks like some wiring was replaced on the car, which may be why I have no starter signal, wipers or rear lights. I do have a voltmeter, heater fan, and radio working.I need to check the neutral safety switch and other components. If anyone has a start circuit wiring schematic for a 72 It would be helpful and appreciated. On another note, we tracked down the original owner. She moved a couple years ago and is in her eighties. She said the car was her husband's and does recall the dealer installing the SR block some time around late 73 or so. She couldn't remember why the rear axle was replaced. If anyone has a schematic or any under dash wiring pics, I would really appreciate it. Once we make some progress I will post some pics. Hopefully we can make Glenn proud and finish what he started. Here is a pic of the 72 shaker that had some broken edges so I ground the damage down and applied Dynahair and reshaped the finished off with some glaze filler. I still need to strip the paint and spray epoxy then block sand out. Sorry for the long winded post lol

Old 03-28-2018, 06:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice work on shaker! What's it look like underneath?

Not sure what route you're taking the restoration. But, I was told the repop air cleaners are very good.

I went with a restored original on my 71. But, it was not an easy job. 3 Air cleaners to make one. Haha.

Let us know what trim pieces are missing. Always have extra after the restoration process and can help guide you in the right direction.

Just remember on a 4 speed the switch for reverse are different than the auto neutral switch.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge273 View Post
... Just remember on a 4 speed the switch for reverse are different than the auto neutral switch.
yup;
uses the same heavy gauge double purple (at least for 1970) wire, but with a four foot long extension to re-route it over the column to the clutch saftey switch...

2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 03-28-2018, 04:50 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks. The shaker looks good underneath, just needs some paint work. The flapper door and bracket is in good shape nut needs a solenoid kit. I think most likely the aftermarket housing will be the route we go unless one pops up. I worked on the car a little today for about an hour. I found that the neutral safety switch wasn't connecting so I jumped it out temporarily. Next I found that the starter signal wire was bolted to the R terminal on the starter instead of the S terminal. I dropped the starter and fixed that problem. Once the motor was turning, I determined there was a timing issue and found the distributor to be 180 degrees out. I pulled it out and turned it to where it should be and the car started right up. It sound really good for sitting for so long. I let it run for 5 minutes then shut it down since I had to go. Next project is to set timing, plug some vacuum leaks and try moving it on its own power.

Old 03-28-2018, 04:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

nice!

Old 03-28-2018, 07:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool, will enjoy reading the continuation.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:08 PM
Senior Chief

Ok on a side note I found some info out today regarding the shaker and air cleaner housing. I spoke to an aquaintance of Glenns and looked through some of his posts on here and notes in a book that was with the car. Apparently he had sent everything to a member on here a few years back. I am told that he never got it back. I assumed from not having funds or whatever. I still have a bunch of his notes to look through but if anyone reads this and still has it or has some info on the situation whether Glenn owed money or whatsoever please send me a PM. I know it's a long shot but we would be happy to pay money and then some for any work done, or buy the parts outright if they are even still in someone's possession. Really only looking for the air cleaner housing. Thanks.

Bob

Old 03-29-2018, 03:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I remember times in Glenn’s manic behavior, he was giving away items??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-29-2018, 03:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

from (re)reading this whole thread, it would stand to reason that members were helping him out in repairing items for him...
I'd hardly think he gave stuff away...
'poncho', I hope you get this figured out, and are able to get in contact with people who he sent stuff to.

Old 03-29-2018, 04:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you read the whole thread and you will see Glenn wasn't shy on spending money on parts, services, and letting people have it...RIP!

Old 03-29-2018, 04:22 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
from (re)reading this whole thread, it would stand to reason that members were helping him out in repairing items for him...
I'd hardly think he gave stuff away...
'poncho', I hope you get this figured out, and are able to get in contact with people who he sent stuff to.
Thanks. I dont believe he would let the shaker go unless he absolutely had to. After I talked to his acquaintance I went back here and started reading some more of his post in other threads and after about a half hour, there it was. He had lost connection to the forum and was upset because he thought he had lost all contact to the person working on his shaker and didn't have the money to buy another but it was all good because he could contact them again. I guess he was only communicating through the forum even though I would figure he must of at least had an address. Anyway like I said if it's still out there and we can get the any of it back for a price, we would be happy to pay for it. Later on I will rummage through the notebook and some other papers that were with the car and see if I find anything.

Old 03-29-2018, 04:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge273 View Post
If you read the whole thread and you will see Glenn wasn't shy on spending money on parts, services, and letting people have it...RIP!
yup, I saw that.

Then he would (later in the thread) go on a rant about how poor he was...
followed by spending stupid money on more car stuff...

Old 03-29-2018, 10:40 PM
Senior Chief

Ok. I did find that Glenn had posted that he sent the shaker and air cleaner assembly out for work. Earlier tonight I was contacted via PM so that mystery has been solved. Hopefully It works out and we can get the parts back to the car.