Old 08-24-2020, 09:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 1970 TA shocks with Polyglas tires

If I am planning on running the stock Polyglas bias ply tires, does it make any sense to upgrade to a set of Bilstein shocks? The reason I ask is that I took the car out the other day and it rides kinda rough over bad pavement. I was thinking of upgrading to a better shock but I read somewhere that if you run bias ply tires, you won’t gain much because they are designed to run with radials. I like the stock tires on the JW rims, so if I was going to run radials, I’d have to get another set of wheels. If I can’t run the Bilsteins, what’s the best shock to run with the Polyglas tires?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-24-2020, 09:58 AM

My 71 has the same set up as you speak of. Having said that, I think it rides and handles alright.

On top of that, I believe the valving of compression to rebound is decidedly different with the original conventional oil shocks. My experience with Corvette's dictates the ride is much better, with a shock that is valved like OE. Outside of buying a set of repo spirals, I do not know where one can buy just an old style oil shock.

I suspect if you comb eBay, you can find some NOS replacement shocks (oil based).

Hope that helps,
Tim

Old 08-24-2020, 12:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Back in the 80s when these old cars were my daily drivers, I had a couple that were still running bias ply tires. I would use a run of the mill "Monroe matic" or similar low end gas shock, which seemed to work well on bias or radial tires for a smooth soft ride. Although "soft" may be an overstatement when running bias tires!

Anytime I have moved to a KYB, Bilstien, or other performance shock, the road became more noticeable, which of course is fine if that is what you are looking for, or want something more performance oriented.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

68 Firebird-- Street/Strip - 400/461 Eagle Forged Bottom End & Ross Flat top pistons. KRE 325 CFM D port, Ultradyne 263/271 @.050, .4267 lift. Crower Solid roller lifters and 1.65 stainless rockers. Quickfuel 1000 on Torker2 intake and 2" open spacer. Hedman 1.75" headers. TH400 w/brake. Ford 9" w/3.80 gears & 28x9 Hoosier pro bracket drag radial. Best ET: 1.35 60ft, 6.29 @ 107.20 mph, 9.99 @132.33 mph. 3,300 race weight
Old 11-28-2020, 08:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I finally got around to installing the Bilstiens today, and even with the Polyglas, the car rides 100% better. To be fair, I’m guessing the shocks on it were approaching 10 yr old (but only about 5000 miles). I don’t know if that had anything to do with it, but every time I hit a bump, the whole car seemed to take the hit. The new shocks, while firm, didn’t jar the car and were much smoother over uneven pavement. I took off all the stickers and painted them grey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-03-2020, 11:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You could make the switch to the coker Firestone radial wide ovals if you want the bias look in a radial. Not the cheapest but best of both worlds.