Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-24-2020, 09:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Turnswitch

Turnswitch.com converts factory radios to full Bluetooth and hands free calling for $610 bucks. I saw another company that did the sam thing but they were a little cheaper. Does anyone know what that company is? Has anyone used Turnswitch and can report their results? I googled all the companies that do this but I am looking for peoples experience. I want Bluetooth and hands free calling

Last edited by 64speed; 11-24-2020 at 09:28 PM.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had my '63 Safari AM/FM converted by Turnswitch (S&M Electro-tech) and I'm very happy with the results. I was told the '63 radio was the worst design, basically a house receiver made smaller. Terrible receive section and output was 3W total.

I opted for the conversion, with aux input. Sorry can't offer anything on the the BT option ... was too pricey for my needs though I do drive the car alot on long distance runs. Being able to stream from my phone was the main reason for me. I use the Sirius app for SAT radio.

My car has a front speaker in the center dash and rear speaker over the rear pass. side wheel. I had replaced the dash speaker with one of their 4x10 speakers several years back and replaced the rear one this time. Depending on the ohm rating of the speaker, the channel output can reach 50W. I believe mine is 40W x 2, sound level limited by the speaker cone travel since they are slim fit. Controls are easy to use, instructions are easy to follow also. I have the option of adding 2 more speakers, which I thought about adding a fully enclosed set to compare the audio output.

They do a nice detailing job on the radio, mine was nice to begin with but replaced 3 pushbutton springs. It's so great to be able to turn the volume up now and hear the tunes! Took about 10 weeks because his jobs lined up due to pandemic shutdown.

Just under $500 back to me including shipping and the speaker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20200919_135614787.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	554702  

My Garage
Tarheel Tigers Pontiac Club of Raleigh, NC
Old 11-24-2020, 10:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well that’s one review for turnswitch. I need the Bluetooth for my hands free calling. Can’t have a phone in your hand around here (not that it’s enforced) and my car is a daily driver.

Old 11-25-2020, 12:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
... and my car is a daily driver.
It hasn't been a DD for quite some time. And, as long as you keep looking for more
things to buy, it won't be. $100 for PHS? Why? Save for paint. $600 for a radio? Save
for paint. Stick to the plan.

It's going to take some time before the paint is done. That's just life. Unless there's
a deal you absolutely cannot afford to pass up, stop impulse buying. Yeah, it might
not be as fun as spending money, but you've made it abundantly clear that waiting
isn't exactly fun either. So... spend money and be forced to wait, or live without tunes
for a month.

When you get it on the road, you should pay attention to everything but the radio.

Old 11-25-2020, 12:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post
It hasn't been a DD for quite some time. And, as long as you keep looking for more
things to buy, it won't be. $100 for PHS? Why? Save for paint. $600 for a radio? Save
for paint. Stick to the plan.

It's going to take some time before the paint is done. That's just life. Unless there's
a deal you absolutely cannot afford to pass up, stop impulse buying. Yeah, it might
not be as fun as spending money, but you've made it abundantly clear that waiting
isn't exactly fun either. So... spend money and be forced to wait, or live without tunes
for a month.

When you get it on the road, you should pay attention to everything but the radio.
I knew you were going to chime in. I am in charge of saving for the paint and I am actually ahead in this dept. my wife’s family is chipping in for a Christmas present and asked what they could do for the car. As I showed in my other post I got 99% of what I need to put it back together. Getting the radio fixed is something they can do for me.

I have restored a car before and I know my personality. If I get the car on the road “unfinished” work will stop. This car will be complete, assembled, fully functional on all lights, horn, radio, etc, before I ever pull it out of the garage for the first time to let the fuel injection learn and tune. I am in a private neighborhood with a big cul de sac where I can circle around and adjust brakes etc. once it’s safe there is a HS parking lot a mile down the road that has a big empty parking lot where I can do more fine tuning.

As far as getting to that point the car will be towed to the exhaust shop, the glass shop, the upholstery shop, the stereo shop, until I and I mean that with the boldest possible I that can be printed am ready to turn the key

Old 11-25-2020, 12:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I knew you were going to chime in. I am in charge of saving for the paint and I am actually ahead in this dept. my wife’s family is chipping in for a Christmas present and asked what they could do for the car. As I showed in my other post I got 99% of what I need to put it back together. Getting the radio fixed is something they can do for me.

I have restored a car before and I know my personality. If I get the car on the road “unfinished” work will stop. This car will be complete, assembled, fully functional on all lights, horn, radio, etc, before I ever pull it out of the garage for the first time to let the fuel injection learn and tune. I am in a private neighborhood with a big cul de sac where I can circle around and adjust brakes etc. once it’s safe there is a HS parking lot a mile down the road that has a big empty parking lot where I can do more fine tuning.

As far as getting to that point the car will be towed to the exhaust shop, the glass shop, the upholstery shop, the stereo shop, until I and I mean that with the boldest possible I that can be printed am ready to turn the key
Good to know. Was worried you were losing focus.

Old 11-25-2020, 02:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wait till you start filling up the gas tank every 3rd or 4th trip to the local Walmart. It won't be your "daily driver" for long!

Old 11-25-2020, 02:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I’d wait until it’s finished before spending money and time on a sound system. My car is so loud, I’ve never even bothered to check if the AM radio still works - and mine’s not nearly the 700hp monster that you’re building.

Old 11-25-2020, 06:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint View Post
Wait till you start filling up the gas tank every 3rd or 4th trip to the local Walmart. It won't be your "daily driver" for long!
I’m lucky outside of vacation miles to drive 5000 miles a year. This is why I put a 5 speed in it. It’s got to be as good as the 11 MPG Escalade. As far as not having tunes, not an option. I got 6000+ songs on my iPhone. If I can’t hear the radio it will get quieter mufflers or bigger speakers as events warrant LOL

Old 11-25-2020, 07:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I need the Bluetooth for my hands free calling. Can’t have a phone in your hand around here (not that it’s enforced) and my car is a daily driver.

They make a thing called a bluetooth earpiece. They used to be quite expensive 15 years ago, but today you can get a name brand for as little as $19.99 right now at Best Buy like the Jabra unit below:

Old 11-25-2020, 09:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

And as expected the smart ass post. See above about music

Old 11-25-2020, 09:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
And as expected the smart ass post. See above about music
barrierblue66 posted:

[quoteI opted for the conversion, with aux input. [/quote]

And you replied:

Quote:
I need the Bluetooth for my hands free calling. Can’t have a phone in your hand around here (not that it’s enforced) and my car is a daily driver.
It wasn't a smart assed post, it was a legitimate post based on what the info that barrierblue had given you.

You don't need bluetooth in your car radio to comply with the SC law.

Old 11-25-2020, 09:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Different subject!If your only getting 11 MPG with your Escalade your doing something wrong!We are on our 4th one since 2002 and always get around 13-14 around town with a little highway driving.Just got back from a 700 mile trip,350 each way up to 8500 ft altitude and back and got 19.5 avg MPG up and back.FWIW,Tom

Old 11-25-2020, 10:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Aurora radio conversions does a nice job but for what I wanted done (Bluetooth included) they wanted $900. If you wanted just the Bluetooth it would be less.

Old 11-25-2020, 11:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
Different subject!If your only getting 11 MPG with your Escalade your doing something wrong!We are on our 4th one since 2002 and always get around 13-14 around town with a little highway driving.Just got back from a 700 mile trip,350 each way up to 8500 ft altitude and back and got 19.5 avg MPG up and back.FWIW,Tom
I get great on the highway for what it is, like you said around 19 but around here I am at the base of a mountain. No level ground. 11-12 is about right around town which is 80 percent of my driving

Old 11-25-2020, 11:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
barrierblue66 posted:

[quoteI opted for the conversion, with aux input.
And you replied:

It wasn't a smart assed post, it was a legitimate post based on what the info that barrierblue had given you.

You don't need bluetooth in your car radio to comply with the SC law.[/QUOTE]

As I stated earlier, I have an IPhone, no AUX port. Maybe your right maybe I should have said I WANT Bluetooth for the music streaming and the hands free calling. Mostly for the music.

Old 11-28-2020, 10:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

And the radio was sent off to turnswitch today for the full monte