Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 10-17-2020, 11:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
I was a mechanic at a Chrysler dealer back then. What about them?
http://content.time.com/time/special...894719,00.html

Old 10-17-2020, 12:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Jeep brand is Hot, Hot, Hot. So when that's the case, there won't be any deals. The Jeep Truck, Wrangler, Cherokee, all selling as fast as they can slap them together. Pandemic has barley put a dent in those model sales, at least around here. Grand Cherokee, and the Fiat based Renegade, possibly. But my experience and findings show all Chrysler products depreciate at an incredible rate, one of the reasons I own several. My wife drives a Grand Cherokee that had a 52K sticker, I purchased from the original owner 2 1/2 years old with 13k miles on it for 24K. Dealer would only give her 22K trade-in. It was like brand new. Have you considered a 2-4 year old model?

Old 10-17-2020, 01:08 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris65LeMans View Post
I never heard of it but it doesn't surprise me. When I worked at a Chevy dealer we have a few cars and trucks come off the car carrier with in-op speedos. Hook the cable back up, all better.

Old 10-17-2020, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Nothing new

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
I never heard of it but it doesn't surprise me. When I worked at a Chevy dealer we have a few cars and trucks come off the car carrier with in-op speedos. Hook the cable back up, all better.
Dealers have been doing this for decades. Back in the 70's when I worked at Balch Pontiac a guy and me got sent to school and they let us use a brand new Catalina to get there. The speedometer was disconnected for the trip. I also witnessed a few odometer "roll back" jobs.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 10-21-2020, 11:03 AM

If you can't find a "commodity" version of the new vehicle you are looking for, you don't have any leverage. When it's rare (desireable or not) you can't price shop it like others. I just bought a 2020 F-150 and found basically the exact same configuration (exactly the way I wanted) and bought it for $9000 under "MSRP". Had to get quotes from about 8-10 dealers first (don't have spreadsheet in front of me) and you would be amazed what the range was. 3 of them were right around the same (great) price point. Had it delivered and couldn't be happier.

Old 10-21-2020, 12:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Im sure there are exceptions, but from what I understand the "Internet Price" is usually the best you will get.

Its all a PITA. Talk em down on the purchase and they beat you up on your trade in.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 10-21-2020, 01:31 PM

To clarify:

If you can't find a "commodity" version of the new vehicle you are looking for, you don't have any leverage. When it's rare (desireable or not) you can't price shop it like others. I just bought a 2020 F-150 and found basically the exact same configuration (exactly the way I wanted) and bought it for $3000 under "invoice" price, $6500 under MSRP. Got quotes from 13 dealers first in a 500 mile radius and you would be amazed what the range was: 3 of them were right around this same (great) price point, all the way up to $7000 more! Had it delivered and couldn't be happier.

"Invoice" prices are a scam nowadays for manufacturers to get you to anchor to a price.

Old 10-21-2020, 04:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I should have used the phrase "dealer cost", for a fee there are places that provide that information along with dealer costs on various options, hold back amounts etc.

Old 10-21-2020, 08:16 PM

Local KIA dealers on Long Island, NY want 3 to 5 K above the sticker price for a 2021 Telluride SUV.

Old 10-21-2020, 08:39 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC61 View Post
Local KIA dealers on Long Island, NY want 3 to 5 K above the sticker price for a 2021 Telluride SUV.
A PA dealer wanted $3600.00 over sticker for a Seltos like I bought when I was looking.

My exact words to him were.... "Dude, you're not selling Dodge Demons, you're selling Kias"

One thing all the Kia dealers guaranteed me, whatever I looked at today, wouldn't be there next week. They were right.

The Following User Says Thank You to Chief of the 60's For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2020, 09:22 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks to all of you for your comments.
I had her read them too.

To finish up the story:
She went to two more dealers. They were all the same, essentially, when it came to pricing the Willys Jeep to her specifications. The "dealing" happened with the trade in. She decided to stay with one dealer who negotiated on the trade, and she got them to agree not to have to re-appraise it even though they've got to wait two months for the new Jeep to come. They just asked her to keep the mileage reasonable and she agreed. She commented that alot of the salesman seemed lazy and not knowledgeable about the "product".

I was surprised to get a call one day last week...she was in a dealers finance office and she just wanted to run the numbers by me and she was ready to sign. I was proud of her for doing this deal by herself.
So, she's happy and I think she did alright.

Thanks,
Dave

The Following User Says Thank You to squidtone For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2020, 09:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Couple comments feel free to share with her. I think it is just great that she had a plan, knew exactly what she wanted for her vehicle, and stayed on course to make it happen. She didn't settle or buckle under to dealer pressure to buy something shiny they had right on the lot. That tells me she is a car person! She also spent the time to probably know more about the product than anyone she was in contact with at the dealer. As a woman, that has to make her feel great knowing she has knowledge and power to make this expensive transaction on her terms. Congratulations.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post: