Old 07-08-2020, 06:19 PM
Senior Chief

Default Low vacuum powerpiston spring cutting

Running rich...so maybe powervalve open at idle....engine 421 with ramair 4 cam...with 65 tripower th400 Stall conv. Is Nearly stock.... 13hg vacuum at 780 rpm without vacuum advance ...connecting vacuumadvance illhave 15-16hg slightly higher rpm.. Initial 10 degrees Plus 17 degree vacuum 27degree total at idle but when going from Park to drive vacuum Drops to 10hg....so powervalve should be open i guess.... 2 questions ....can i improve or reduce the big drop from Park going to drive.....

Other question how Many coil should i cut off the Spring read between 3 to 8 coils with 041 crane ...so not clear.....also at which end of the spring should i cut cause the the coils going to the airhornside Are more compressed then the other end going to the powervalve direction....

Old 07-11-2020, 03:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cut four coils off the end of the spring. Cut them on the end that contacts the poser valve (bottom of the rod). Stock spring pressure is about 210 grams to move the rod upward. A RAIV cam should work better with about 150-170 grams of spring pressure. I use a postal scale to measure.

To be safe, just uncoil four turns off the rod. Measure the pressure. Uncoil or recoil turns until you get the desired change. In that way, you don't destroy the spring if cutting too many coils off.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan