Old 08-24-2020, 12:34 PM

Question End carbs DAG-213 vs Lapping compound

Has anyone had luck using lapping compound for a permanent seal on end carb throttle plates? An old thread on this forum referenced a bowtie forum.

The writer used lapping compound on his Rochesters and a few snaps opened and closed created the seal. My guess would be material removed would be from the throat of the float bowl.

I used DAG on my '66 set up and now rebuilding a '64.

Thoughts and comments?

Old 08-24-2020, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Selective fitting of the throttle plates usually creates a near-perfect seal with the throttle base. However, after assembly of the base, I apply DAG 213 regardless of the fit.

There are some bases that will not allow a tight fit with used or new throttle plates. The use of a brass or plastic flat punch and judicious use of a hammer always helps improve the fit. But, I also use DAG 213 on these bases--with good results. I have restored many end carbs that still, after 50+ years, have DAG 213 in place on the plates and cast iron base bore.

I cannot criticize lapping the plates and base for a good fit, but it will take more than a few snaps shut to remove enough material to be effective. Try it some time and you'll see.

The factory used DAG 213. The picture is of a NOS base from the early '60's on the left and a base I applied DAG 213 to a few years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tripower Carb Bases Color 013.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	547830  

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 08-24-2020, 03:29 PM

Thanks for the input, Dick. I didn't think it would be that easy to remove enough material for a good seal! Plus, I meant base not float bowl!! Must have been in the sun too long this morning! LOL