Old 08-30-2020, 05:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default VIN Tag color on 68 Bird????

So, my 68 bird had an Ivy Gold deluxe interior in it when I bought it and the top of the dash had already been repainted along with the VIN tag in supposedly the original Green zero gloss color. I've heard that in 68, cars with dash colors "other than black" that the VIN tag was originally painted to match the top of the dash. I've also heard the VIN tag was always left to be black even with other color dash tops.. So what is really correct?

Thanks
OJ

Old 08-30-2020, 08:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The VIN tag on my '68 is painted zero gloss burgundy like the (original) upper dash. Not sure how they painted the tag, because it seems like a lighter paint coating than the dash.

Old 08-31-2020, 04:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

OJ, I wanted to clarify my comment about "lighter paint" with a photo. As you can see, it almost looks like over-spray hit the VIN tag. It is definitely the upper dash paint color but the black of the VIN part also shows through.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2902.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	548341  

Old 08-31-2020, 06:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimFB400HO View Post
OJ, I wanted to clarify my comment about "lighter paint" with a photo. As you can see, it almost looks like over-spray hit the VIN tag. It is definitely the upper dash paint color but the black of the VIN part also shows through.
Jim,

Thanks for the picture. Yes, looks like it was painted before being mounted based on the corner having less paint. Just out of curiosity, have you ever seen your dash rivets? Were they unpainted? That would confirm that the VIN tag was painted before mounting.

Thanks again,
OJ

Old 08-31-2020, 06:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've never had any part of the dash apart so if those rivets are hidden by the pad, upper or lower dash etc, I have not seen them.