The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 09-07-2020, 09:05 PM

Default Repairing bent or pitted chrome bumpers?

So, my wagon's rear bumper is a little bent up and needs to be straightened. Is this something a body shop can take care of, or would I need to take it to a specialty shop?

Then my other question is, I'm looking at a car with a severely pitted rear bumper that also has some small bends in it, and I'm wondering if a bumper would be able to have pitting repaired, or if it would be better to start looking for a decent core.

I've already tried searching these forums and can't any solid answers, hopefully someone can at least steer me in the right direction.

Old 09-08-2020, 05:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bumpers are pretty rigid. Usually a re-chroming shop has the tools to straighten.
If you plan on painting the bumper, the pits can be wire wheeled , treated and filled.

Old 09-08-2020, 05:15 PM

Yeah, it'll need to be rechromed, and I don't know much about that process so I wasn't sure if they could grind it smooth and blend it or fill it before rechroming to save the bumper

Old 09-08-2020, 06:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Typically the chrome shop will take care of bends and dents in the bumper. They can repair pitting as well but that can get expensive, since it involves multiple passes through the copper plating bath to build up the pitted areas.

Old 09-08-2020, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Typically the chrome shop will take care of bends and dents in the bumper. They can repair pitting as well but that can get expensive, since it involves multiple passes through the copper plating bath to build up the pitted areas.
So sounds like restoring a pitted bumper is the kind of thing to be done only if good cores can't be found.

Old 09-08-2020, 08:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Someone has a driver condition bumper on ebay right now. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-PONTIA...UAAOSweRhfNvIH

Old 09-08-2020, 09:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

bummer didn't know that "gto" wagon got into an accident.

Old 09-09-2020, 03:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I don't know about other areas but rechroming a bumper and straightening it before hand is generally an $800 job around here. A nice used bumper for $215 is a great deal. Its not mine BTW.