Old 09-17-2020, 11:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Low mileage '84 T/A , in storage and not run since 1996 ADVICE

Currently looking into 10k mile 1984 T/A for sale...for my son .
I had one and this car is it's twin.
What are common problem areas on 3rd gen F body's.
Values?
Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Old 09-17-2020, 12:06 PM
Suspended

Would love to see pics of this 10k T/A

As far as it not running in awhile...…..

This hasn't seen the light of day since the 1999 POCI convention. Put a battery in it at the end of July and it fired right up as if it was shut off the day before.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3205.jpg
Views:	622
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	549778  

Old 09-17-2020, 12:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The pics are really bad, it's an estate auction, goes to high bid. Has 1997 State inspection sticker on it! And I see yellow ziebart plugs in door jambs..I think?
Hoping to check it out in the next few days.
I'm not sweating the mechanical function... much, more so any undercarriage corrosion.

Is their any area of these cars known for taking a beating from corrosion?

Don't know if it was pump away wet... with salt!
I should have some good pictures in a few days ( or may be driving it)
Interior is immaculate 2 tone grey cloth.
Did they all have a decal on the air induction hood with lower wrap around fade stripe?
Mine did, this one does not, on the hood.

Last edited by STEELCITYFIREBIRD; 09-17-2020 at 01:01 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to STEELCITYFIREBIRD For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2020, 08:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think '84 was the year that the 'aero' package was an option. More so than what was on the 82-83 cars. Not sure if the hood decal was part of that or not. 85 they went full bore with the side skirts and air dams.

Old 09-18-2020, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

How old is your son?

Old 09-18-2020, 06:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My older brother had an 84 black and gold 5.0 HO that he bought brand new - I loved that car and thought it was quick back then!

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 09-22-2020, 06:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well getting a look at it hasn't panned out well, yet.

It was listed @ 6500, and up to 7350 current bid, allegedly eager to close deal.
I'd easily pay more if it's NICE!
It's 15 miles from me, but racing out of town 1 out of 2 days this past weekend didn't allow time to get there to see it.
The tough part I'm dealing with is it has not been started, nor do they want to attempt to.
"old fuel and dry cylinders"

Anyone with any experience purchasing like this?

My son is 20 and has saved to make this purchase with his own funds.

Heavily optioned (as it gets in 84), aero package, t top. Black w grey fade stripe lower body.
2 tone grey cloth seating. 305HO SBC E QJet.

Old 09-22-2020, 07:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You're going to be spending a bit of money to get it up and running regardless of what they say. If the car doesn't run, expect that there is a reason and lots of neglected maintenance that needs to be done.

Unless I was in absolute love with that car in every way, I wouldn't pay that much for a non-runner. That's just me.

Old 09-22-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
You're going to be spending a bit of money to get it up and running regardless of what they say. If the car doesn't run, expect that there is a reason and lots of neglected maintenance that needs to be done.

Unless I was in absolute love with that car in every way, I wouldn't pay that much for a non-runner. That's just me.
My take is the opposite. Engines are easy to fix. Lots of guys can work on them. Even an entire new one isn't huge money. Body and interior work are expensive! Give me a car in great shape all day over one that runs great but needs all kinds of other work. Trust me i've got a great running car that needs almost everything else!

But all things equal if you can't at least stick your head under it you are rolling the dice! Is what it is. Good luck.

Old 09-22-2020, 11:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgiv View Post
My take is the opposite. Engines are easy to fix.
If the kid is scraping together every last nickel and the car ends up needing a new transmission and engine, that's a significant expense even to just junkyard swap one. And these 305 quadrajet engines are not the simplest thing to work on without the right tools. Unless he just yanks it all and throws in something else non-computer controlled.

Still, without being able to get under the hood or hear\see it run it's going to be a gamble. It better be something he truly wants.

Old 09-23-2020, 12:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I won't buy it sight unseen, nor make an offer unless I would stand behind that offer.... so I need to see it!
I know it will need all systems gone over.
I'll wait and see....if I can see it.

Old 09-23-2020, 07:40 AM

No doubt. But a kid who is scrapping together every last nickel on a car better understand what they are getting into. You buy an older car and it just costs money. Period. Or you learn to fix it all yourself and you learn and grow from the process... but it ain't easy. When I was 17 I bought as 78 Z28. I loved it. Keep in mind that in the late 80s that car wasn't even that old. Looking back it was a piece of crap. But I wrenched on it and learned and rode my bike a lot while it was sitting in the driveway "being repaired". I replaced and tuned the carb, replaced the brakes, swapped all the fluids, did the full tune up. Nothing mind blowing but it certainly wasn't the most economical choice for a kid with no automotive experience, scrapping together nickels and borrowing tools. LOL now I'm an adult with minimal automotive experience, scrapping together quarters and borrowing tools.

Old 09-23-2020, 11:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks all for all advice so far!

I'm an ex dealer mechanic. I do anything.... carb to rear axle.....except bodywork!
My first car is a southern 1968 2x4's 428 CJ Torino GT Fastback ... still have it.
Gave $2500 for it in 1985.

Anyone (with or knowledge of 3rd gen F-Body's maybe?) have any insight on the value of this (1984 T/A) car?

Old 09-23-2020, 07:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rear Calipers likely locked up at Emergency Brake cable attacments. Take cable off Caliper and clear washers, external shaft, re-assemble.

Old 09-25-2020, 09:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have owned two third gens and hands down, they were absolutely the most unreliable cars I have ever owned. If you want your kid to build confidence in their wrenching and repair skills, these are the cars for you as they will get constant experience. Sorry, and no disrespect to the many proud third gen owners out there. This is just my opinion based on my experience with my two cars.

71 Formula 433, Splayed cap 400 block, 4" stroke Scat forged crank, 6.8 Eagle rods, custom Autotec pistons. SD 295 KRE D ports, Old faithful hybrid roller, Torker II, Holley Sniper Stealth, Tribal Tubes, TKO 600, 3.73 Eaton posi.