Old 01-12-2003, 07:59 AM

I have a factory reverb unit from a 67 Bonneville. Does anyone know how to wire this in to a modern stereo?

Slower Traffic Keep Right

Old 01-12-2003, 07:59 AM

I have a factory reverb unit from a 67 Bonneville. Does anyone know how to wire this in to a modern stereo?

Old 01-14-2003, 12:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 428GTO70

I dont know, but I was just wondering what Reverb is? I have always seen the knobs for old radios say reverb on them but no idea what it does. Would just like to upgrade my knowledge

GR-RRR!

1970 GTO 458 CID .040 over 4 Bolt 428 Block, Forged Eagle 455 Crank, 295 CFM SD KRE D-Ports, SD Old Faithful HR Cam + Comp HR Lifters, PPR Maxx-lite rods, Racetec pistons, PRW 1.65 SS Rockers, 900CFM Holley HP TBI, Performer RPM, Hooker Super Comps, 3" X-Pipe into 2.5" mufflers/tailpipes, 2.75 1st TH400, Continental 13" Converter, 8.5" 3.08 Posi.
Everything installed, fired up and tuning has begun!
Old 01-14-2003, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The reverb (or reverberation system) was basically a device that delayed the sound coming from the rear speaker approximately one-tenth of a second behind the sound coming from the front speaker, giving an echo effect. I think possibly today they are called echo chambers.

It was also called a "poor man's stereo".

Jon.

Good carburetion is fuelish hot air.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 01-14-2003, 01:21 PM
Senior Chief

Reverb was suppose to make the music sound like you were listening to it in a concert hall. It adds a sort of "echo." Basically, it sends the signal, then sends the same signal again after a slight delay. The more you turn the knob-the more the echo. I was never a fan of reverb. At the time, it was a "high end" option.

Old 01-14-2003, 01:41 PM

Reverb is short for reverberation. It makes the sound of the radio take on an echoing effect by passing the sound through a spring that is enclosed in a metal housing similar to the radio chassis itself. The spring is flexible like a slinky and when it moves, the sound "reverberates". Those of us who grew up in the sixties most probably heard it at one time or another as it was popular in those days. Usually found in the higher end Buicks, Olds, Pontiacs. Also, some of the guitar amps had that option as well.

Old 01-14-2003, 02:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 428GTO70

Ahh, ok now I got it.

There are newer car stereos with built in sound settings that imitate concert halls and churches and other things to give that similar effect, If thats what you are looking for.

GR-RRR!

1970 GTO 458 CID .040 over 4 Bolt 428 Block, Forged Eagle 455 Crank, 295 CFM SD KRE D-Ports, SD Old Faithful HR Cam + Comp HR Lifters, PPR Maxx-lite rods, Racetec pistons, PRW 1.65 SS Rockers, 900CFM Holley HP TBI, Performer RPM, Hooker Super Comps, 3" X-Pipe into 2.5" mufflers/tailpipes, 2.75 1st TH400, Continental 13" Converter, 8.5" 3.08 Posi.
Everything installed, fired up and tuning has begun!