Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 04-04-2006, 09:26 PM

Default Dougs Headers, Thorley?

I know, there is alot of info on the site about these 2 manufactures and how they are very different, I have been researching headers, because its that time, my motor is finally in the car.
Here's the deal, I know Pypes sells Dougs, not Thorleys, but Dougs, the ones everybody seems to like, fit, clearance, performance, ect. Butler has these also, with the same stock #, 570C for 70-81 TA's, but he says his are Doug Thorley's, any know the clarification, Thx, DC

Old 04-04-2006, 10:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Butler as does Pypes as does Pacific Performance Racing sells Doug's Headers....designed and manufactured by Doug Thorley.

Doug Thorley headers are 30+ year old designs and you don't want them. You want Doug's Headers.

Due to the current economic conditions...the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Meet you at the finish line.....don't be late!
Old 04-04-2006, 11:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My understanding is that Doug Thorley sold out his company and name. So after he sold he started up Dougs so Dougs is actually Doug Thorley in making them but The business that now makes Doug Thorley headers has no quality so you want "Dougs" made by Doug Thorley. Get it?

Old 04-05-2006, 11:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Doug lost his company and name years ago in a nasty divorce. His ex wife died a few years ago and the company and name were sold. Doug started Doug's Headers about five or six years ago designing and building headers using the name Doug's Headers. As sixt8bird said, you want Doug's Headers.

Due to the current economic conditions...the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Old 04-05-2006, 12:23 PM

Yea, I got it now, makes sense, just wanted to make sure I was buying the headers everybody saying good things about, I've read every thread on PY years concerning headers, just gets confusing when you determine that you need to buy Doug's Headers, not Thorleys, and then Thorley's name is on the Doug's. Thx so much for the clarifification, DC

Old 04-07-2006, 02:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

nice clarification because i had always heard good things about Doug Thorley headers 15 to 20 years ago.

so it is just about like i thought the situation was...

Old 04-07-2006, 02:02 PM

When I did a google search for Doug's Headers, it led me to PerTronix web site & a note said the assets of Doug's had been bought by them. Is this the good Doug's?

Old 04-07-2006, 07:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes..it is the good Doug's. Most of the people, the key people, that were with Doug stayed on when the assets were purchased.

Old 04-07-2006, 08:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Arrow

Thorley's are 3 tube (one larger tube for the D ports) and Doug's are 4 tube.

Les

'65 Buick Sport Wagon Custom, 340, T350, 3:23
'66 GTO Post/468, 700R4, 3.31 (Mike's as of 9-16)
'68 Grand Prix/455, dual AFBs, T400, 2:93 posi (sold)
'72 TA tribute/461, T400, 3.08, (Russ's as of 9-16)
'97 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Turbo, Konis, 5 speed
'09 Torrent GXP, nav, Sun & Sound pkg., Bilsteins
Old 04-07-2006, 08:17 PM
Suspended

Interesing trivia! I had a set of Doug Thorly headers that I bought in 77, and they were nice headers with an excellent fit, unlike mid 80's hooker competition +.