Old 09-29-2019, 07:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Heater control removal ?

1972 G/P Heater a/c control panel removal have to pull dash ? Trying to do some diagnostics on a/c need to get to the clutch switch hands are not getting in there !

Old 09-30-2019, 11:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

More than likely your going to have to pull, or at least remove all of the bolts that hold the steering column and the dash in place to back it out enough to get in behind there. Have you tried removing the lower A/C ducts on the driver's side and the radio to see if you can get a peek at the backside of the controls?

Those little blue, hand held battery powered LED lights from Harbor Freight do come in handy for close in spaces such as this.

Last edited by Peter Serio; 09-30-2019 at 12:00 PM. Reason: spelling fix.
Old 09-30-2019, 04:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Thanks

I figured as much have tried everything my hands are just to big to get up in there ughhh !

Old 09-30-2019, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have had a little snap-on mirror on a telescopic wand that I use. Blue-point #CF-157A. Also something that works nicely for dash and stereo/computer wiring are those passenger side non-lighted visor vanity mirrors off of GM cars in the junkyard.

There is one very common size that came on a lot of the mid-1980s G body cars but I found one in a late 80s Firebird T-top car that was smaller (thinner). The smaller one is perfect in cases where space is limited. Those are the basic non-lighted visor mirrors with a molded on black vinyl edging that seems very durable. I have had several of those for at least 15 or 20 years in my tool box.

Old 09-30-2019, 07:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Serio View Post
I have had a little snap-on mirror on a telescopic wand that I use. Blue-point #CF-157A. Also something that works nicely for dash and stereo/computer wiring are those passenger side non-lighted visor vanity mirrors off of GM cars in the junkyard.

There is one very common size that came on a lot of the mid-1980s G body cars but I found one in a late 80s Firebird T-top car that was smaller (thinner). The smaller one is perfect in cases where space is limited. Those are the basic non-lighted visor mirrors with a molded on black vinyl edging that seems very durable. I have had several of those for at least 15 or 20 years in my tool box.
Have the small one and big one just a big guy with big arms and hands you did some work for me few tears back thinking about getting the am/.fm tuner done I have to pull the dash this winter will get after it then new cluster and tach !

Old 10-01-2019, 09:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've found it easier to just pull the entire dashpad on these cars. Very poor serviceability design

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 10-01-2019, 11:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Those cars were all about style, the category GM had a name for it back then I think I recall the 69 to 72 GPs were called a personal luxury car. Another rule that Pontiac had ( I think all of GM above Chevrolet) was that if a customer sat in either the front or rear seats no fasteners were allowed to be visible. They wanted the interiors to be all about the presentation. One exception to that rule I have noticed was on the '64 to 67 A body cars if you look to the side there is one chrome plated phillips screw visible in the top painted section of the inner door. (That screw holds the vent window division post.)

So the dash and a lot of the door panels have hidden fasteners. In the case of the dash pad they had to attach everything from the backside so that is why the cars are hard to work on. They got into adapting their interior designs into more "front loading" dash parts; gauges, heater controls etc. starting with the 2nd Gen Firebirds and Camaros.

Old 10-01-2019, 12:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yeah noticed that I am a GTO guy way easier to get to things the book is poor in description I have never pulled one of these so guess I will take it slow just hate hidden fasteners especially old ones !

Old 10-01-2019, 12:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by north View Post
I've found it easier to just pull the entire dashpad on these cars. Very poor serviceability design
Have all 3 service manuals non have very good service info on the dash removal !