Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 12-01-2019, 02:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
My compressor starts and runs slow when it's cold out. The belts are old, and you can smell them slipping.
Belts were my first thought before I started the thread. But, I could not find any sign at all of them slipping.

Old 12-01-2019, 02:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Weber View Post
Is the compressor unloading the pressure line from the tank to the compressor head every time it stops? If your unloader is sticking open the compressor will start or try to start under full load pressure.
Yes, the pressure does release from the line after it has run.

Old 12-02-2019, 02:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Looks like mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by justincampbell View Post
Had a few minutes today(not near as long as I had hoped unfortunately). I'm even more confused now. I bled the tank down to about 25 lbs of pressure and then turned the compressor on. It ran like a champ. I shut it off manually at about 120 lbs. After 15 or 20 seconds, I turned it back on and it ran like a champ again all the way to it's preset shut-off pressure(160-ish lbs).
I have the 80 gallon version of that compressor. Mine says Campbell Hausefeld 1977.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxeIPpC6Zoo

Once in a while it would start slow and actually trip the breaker. I would then blow the motor out with air and it would be fine. The motor is a single phase 5 HP Baldour.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 12-02-2019, 04:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
I have the 80 gallon version of that compressor. Mine says Campbell Hausefeld 1977.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxeIPpC6Zoo

Once in a while it would start slow and actually trip the breaker. I would then blow the motor out with air and it would be fine. The motor is a single phase 5 HP Baldour.
The tag on this motor says Doerr Electric Corporation. Single phase, 5hp.

That'd be fantastic if just blowing it out improved things. I'll try not to get my hopes up though, Lol.

Old 12-02-2019, 04:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't those types of motors have some kind of mechanical, centrifugal contacts that kick in at certain rpm? Kind of like mechanical advance on a distributor ... if the mechanism gets too dirty/rusty etc. it won't kick it up to the normal speed?

Old 12-03-2019, 02:01 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Yes, they use centrifugal-action points to disconnect the starting capacitor at some fixed RPM. The points typically do require a little maintenance- filing, cleaning, or replacement. They are usually easy to get at under a cover on the non-drive end of the motor shaft.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Gifford For This Useful Post: