THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-10-2019, 09:08 AM
Senior Chief

He was last seen on the set of Caddyshack

Old 12-10-2019, 10:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dblnkldude View Post
You eat those ****ers? I've shot a few in the garden with the bow and have thought about it. But they smell like crap and can't seem to get past that. I never smelled a worse animal after being freshly shot. Deer and rabbits and birds smell fresh, not bad at all....but those things...uugghh.
I grew up eating groundhogs. The smell is from the musk gland under each leg. Remove those and ALL the accumulated body fat groundhogs taste very much like pork. Bet you wouldn’t eat a muskrat, either. I have....

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 12-10-2019, 10:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
I grew up eating groundhogs. The smell is from the musk gland under each leg. Remove those and ALL the accumulated body fat groundhogs taste very much like pork. Bet you wouldn’t eat a muskrat, either. I have....
I'm gonna give it a try. I figured they would be fatty and probably tender meat but never had the balls. LOL I'll report back in the spring.

Old 12-11-2019, 12:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
You eat those ****ers? I've shot a few in the garden with the bow and have thought about it. But they smell like crap and can't seem to get past that. I never smelled a worse animal after being freshly shot. Deer and rabbits and birds smell fresh, not bad at all....but those things...uugghh.
Quote:
I'm gonna give it a try. I figured they would be fatty and probably tender meat but never had the balls. LOL I'll report back in the spring.
You want young ones. Make sure to get those musk glands out when you clean them. My paternal grandfather would pressure cook groundhogs with onion, celery, carrots, bay leave, salt and pepper. Once fork tender, he mixed the meat with his homemade BBQ sauce. GOOD eats...

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 12-11-2019, 01:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
BTW ... I have some beautiful bushes in my front yard that I've been growing for 25 years. Yew I think. Anyway, last winter the deer stripped them bare ... they almost didn't recover this spring, they are still kind of sparse. Just saw the wife off to work this morning and noticed they are at it again. They won't survive another stripping. I heard Bobbex deer repellent is good. I also happen to have 10 lbs of powdered sulfur in the shop ... wonder if that would work? Or ... can I cover them with a tarp?

Going to start letting the dogs go out front to do their business for a week or to, see if that helps.
We have a serious deer problem also. This is the best thing we have found after trying a bunch of stuff. Motion detector sprinkler. They now walk around the backside of our flower beds.
https://www.amazon.com/Orbit-Enforce...95104309&psc=1

Old 12-11-2019, 07:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Might have to give that a try, it's getting worse every year. We actually have more problems in the winter than the other seasons. Winters have been getting worse up here, with snow cover starting in early Nov .. too many deer, not enough food.

You'd think they would be grateful, we let them eat every apple off our apple trees.

Old 12-11-2019, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Too many deer also cause this.

Rudolph got hit by a Oldsmobile.Attachment 526425

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

USPS Money Orders or Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart money gram wire transfer -preferred payments.

If Payment doesn't show up in 3-4 days, I move on to the next person that wants it.

Serious Inquiries Only - Shipping Isn't Free.

Last edited by thepontiacman; 10-26-2022 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
BTW ... I have some beautiful bushes in my front yard that I've been growing for 25 years. Yew I think. Anyway, last winter the deer stripped them bare ... they almost didn't recover this spring, they are still kind of sparse. Just saw the wife off to work this morning and noticed they are at it again. They won't survive another stripping. I heard Bobbex deer repellent is good. I also happen to have 10 lbs of powdered sulfur in the shop ... wonder if that would work? Or ... can I cover them with a tarp?

Going to start letting the dogs go out front to do their business for a week or to, see if that helps.
Letting the dogs do their business out front may do the trick.
I just asked the old farmer neighbor lady and she said sprinkling human hair around the area works.
She also said soap hung in the tree. I asked what kind of soap and she looked at me like 'is there more than one kind of soap made you idiot city slicker?" and said "A BAR OF IVORY!"
She knows her sh*t and I trust her word when it comes to farming and country living.

Old 12-12-2019, 01:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank T View Post
Letting the dogs do their business out front may do the trick.
I just asked the old farmer neighbor lady and she said sprinkling human hair around the area works.
She also said soap hung in the tree. I asked what kind of soap and she looked at me like 'is there more than one kind of soap made you idiot city slicker?" and said "A BAR OF IVORY!"
She knows her sh*t and I trust her word when it comes to farming and country living.
I've tried ALL of that. Irish Spring is the preferred brand here but none of it works for long, if at all, in my experience. That sprinkler works though. Problem with the sprinkler you need one for every location and it needs to be near a water source. You can daisy chain them together which is pretty cool.. Mine field!

Preston, I have hit three deer and my wife has hit three...but I haven't seen that!

Old 12-12-2019, 08:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had the header panel and grills in the same color to fix it. They showed me the picture and I just had to share.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

USPS Money Orders or Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart money gram wire transfer -preferred payments.

If Payment doesn't show up in 3-4 days, I move on to the next person that wants it.

Serious Inquiries Only - Shipping Isn't Free.