THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-03-2015, 03:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have bought food for people who obviously needed it before. Most recently it was an older guy, looked like in his 60s, dirty, skinny, worn out clothes standing at the intersection at the end of a freeway offramp with a sign that simply said "Hungry, homeless, anything helps". Who knows what his story was or what happened to get him where he was but an old guy who looks like that has got it rough. I pulled around the corner, parked and went over to talk to him. Just asked him if he would like me to buy him a burger and something to drink from the AM/PM that was right there and he said he was really hungry and would appreciate anything I could do so I went and bought him a cheeseburger and a bottle of chocolate milk. I really felt bad for that guy, he was one of the few who was obviously really down on his luck.

The young guy who looks well fed in clean clothes, not so much.

I regularly give to charities like NW Harvest (a food bank) and at Christmas time I always put something in the "Toys for Tots" box at work and also the Union Gospel Mission which is a charity that works directly with the homeless providing beds, food, and getting medical care when needed.

Giving money to homeless people is a bad idea. Most of them are homeless because they have drug or mental problems. Giving them money doesn't help either of those things. Give to the charities that will help them get food & treatment instead.

I remember when I visited New York and there was a guy wearing nothing but a big garbage bag dancing around and begging for money in Times Square. Just around the corner in an alley from where he was at was a duffle bag with decent clothes and a pair of shoes in it.

Old 12-03-2015, 04:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A while back a local TV station did a story about the pan handlers here in Phx. They watched a couple of guys that had their spots on a local freeway on & off ramps. They counted every time someone gave them something. If each donation was only 50 cents, at the end of the day they were making around 200 bucks a day each!!! As the sun set, they were followed. Around the corner on a side street they got in a car & drove to a house. When confronted about this & their "homeless" signs, the guy said when he was on the street he was homeless, now he isn't & slammed the door in the reporters face.

POCI.org
Old 12-03-2015, 08:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We have many what we call 'fake homeless' here. I was suspect, and then was able to confirm. A friend had an employee that complained about her pay. Turned out she was really pissed b/c she lived with 3-4 other people who all went out and acted homeless all day. They all made between $300-$400 per day panhandling. Her beef was that she worked all day and all week for far less than they made. Further investigation revealed that many actually come from far and wide to panhandle in our area and then return from whence they came. I no longer would even remotely consider giving $ to the folks standing at intersections after all I have learned. If you have any doubts, just look around for the moped/noped stashed in the bushes and look at their shoes. Anyone on the street will tell you, you can learn a lot by looking at the shoes.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 12-03-2015, 08:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxjunk View Post
smuckers grape with extra cruchy..and just a smidgen of butter..just and ever so small layer of butter, all natural, creamy goodness,...ice freakin cold tooo,,yeah im pi$$ed

Ok now I'm really mad... The sandwich you described is exactly the same sandwich I like too. Crunchy peanut butter is the only way to make a great PB&J! lol

I was at a 7-11 in Nashville once and a guy came to me bumming money. Said he needed gas to put in his mowers (He had a pickup with a trailer full of lawn gear) so he could get paid. Dingbat I am, I give him $20. Next I see him, he's coming out of the 7-11 with a pack of smokes and a twelve pack under his arm. That was THE last time I ever gave money to a panhandler.

On the other side... I was at a grocery store years later and was approached by a guy down on his luck. He asked for money and I said no. He looked pretty rugged though and my conscience got the best of me, so I got one of those pre-cooked chickens to give to him when I left the store. I pay and walk out. He was on a bench just nodding off like he was in & out of consciousness. Gave him that chicken and he darn near inhaled it in one bite.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Two stories:

The other day I was walking down sidewalk in town. Coming at me a 50 something looking woman looked nice at first glance. As got closer, could see she had the look of a rough life, maybe shelter or shared home poor look..... As I got close I said: "Good Morning, nice day!". Man, she lit up, and gave me the biggest smile and she said "Yes it is!". I like to think it helped her morning, it did mine.

And then I just remembered an incident in 1975. I was 19, kind of hippieish and in New Mexico. Was going in a bank to cash my whopping $117 Social Security school check that I somehow lived on with Food Stamps while I went to drafting school and bummed couches, the carefree days. But pretty poor. And as I walked in the big front doors of this bank in downtown Albuquerque this well dressed guy, kinda older stops me. He stuffs a 20 dollar bill in my hand, says "Have a great day" and walks off. I have no idea who he was, or why me, or what the heck. I looked scruffy no doubt. I think he was an angel of sorts. I still remember him.

Old 12-03-2015, 10:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i hear the dont give them money they get drunk argument all the time....

truth is, i give to make me feel good..if they waste the money i dont have a say in it...some how i can sleep a little better knowing or at least thinking i made some kind of difference.

Like i said, i usually look them over pretty good...the shoes and clothes, or lack of tells a lot....today it doesnt bother me much..kinda weird it upset me more than it really should have..Probably about 5 bux in food..it was the waste thing i'm sure..

now, my buddy is still pi$$ed....seems he doesnt get home made stuff much...

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 12-03-2015, 11:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I believe you should be charitable to those that are truly deserving. Sometimes you don't have enough information to make a good judgement.

I have a rental house that I've owned for years. About ten years ago, I had a tenant that was constantly late on rent and was about two months behind after living there a year. I told the tenant it was very aggravating dealing with them constantly being late, and two months behind was my limit.

Right after the first of the year, I was called because there was a toilet issue in the master bedroom. The tenant was late again, and said he would pay me when I was down to make repairs. I go into the master bedroom, and there's this huge TV mounted on the wall. By now, I've very irritated because the TV probably cost probably 1 1/2 months rent or more.

The guy is quite proud of the TV, and shows it off by flipping through several premium cable TV channels. I asked how he could afford it, and he tells me it is only $50 per month for two years. I then remind him that he's already two months behind on rent, and his response is that he knows I'll work with him.

The more I thought about it, the more it bugged me. He just bought a nicer TV that I have, and I don't have cable, much less premium channels. And he does this while he owes me money.

I went home and sent him a letter stating the the next months rent and back rent was due the first of the next month, and I would begin eviction if he was late or didn't pay in full. He didn't pay and I evicted him.

I can deal with people when they have hardship, but if the hardship occurs because they grossly mismanage their money or are incredibly stupid, then I have no sympathy.

Old 12-03-2015, 01:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If your gonna give give without judging, so it comes from the Heart. Better to give to your favorite charity.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Will always remember seeing this on tv years and years ago. Black preacher that went by Rev. Ike. I front of thousands of black says I drive a nice cars and dress nice so people will notice and listen too me. If your hungry I will give you a piece of fish. If you come to me again and say your hungry I'll Teach You How Too Fish.