THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Pete Rose strikes out

again.....

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14...s-commissioner

Old 12-15-2015, 09:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm a big Cincy fan and I agree he got what he deserves. I used to look up to him and the rest of the Big Red Machine and he disgraced the sport.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I cannot defend Pete Rose's self-centered attitude or the fact that he broke a rule in baseball - he certainly did those things. I may not understand all the evidence of Pete's betting on baseball, but I don't ever recall hearing that he ever bet against the team on which he played - ie threw a game for personal gain. I believe the ban on betting was to prevent players from throwing a game by their own poor performance. He is being kept out of the HOF because he has a gambling addiction? Somebody got all those hits - far more than the best of the best that are in the HOF today. The HOF is for great ball players, not to recognize great people. Unless there is proof that he threw a game on purpose, I don't agree with him not being in the HOF.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:56 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by R68GTO View Post
The HOF is for great ball players, not to recognize great people. Unless there is proof that he threw a game on purpose, I don't agree with him not being in the HOF.
Pete will be in the Hall, but not while he's still breathing. His own fault.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 12-15-2015, 11:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
I'm a big Cincy fan and I agree he got what he deserves. I used to look up to him and the rest of the Big Red Machine and he disgraced the sport.
I can't believe this guy still gets news coverage. Others have screwed up and lived with the consequences. He had his glory time in the limelight and wants it to last forever.
Leave here with a trace of dignity intact.

Old 12-15-2015, 11:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe he should redirect his efforts to getting inducted into the Gambling Hall of Fame instead?

Old 12-15-2015, 11:48 PM

I'm no baseball fan, even though my Grandfather was a MLB pitcher way back in the day......I remember seeing Rose play, with passion and I respect that. And yes, he brought this on himself.

But.... he didn't throw games, wasn't juiced, didn't beat Ty Cobb's record by being juiced, didn't beat Women or Children, didn't get in a shoot out at a bar, didn't sell drugs or do drugs......he bet on his team to Win, he has a gambling problem......That's the biggest Sin here?

He's being punished for not kissing MLB's suit & ties butt that's all.

So Bonds, A-Rod, McGuire and the rest of them cheated.....let me repeat that.....Cheated and kept their records, going to the Hall? But Pete gets a life time ban for betting on his team to win???.....BS!

Yes they will let him in the Hall, after he dies.......A Shame IMO.

Old 12-16-2015, 03:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

1. I literally just visited Cooperstown like a month ago. Rose is all over that place anyway. The only thing he doesnt have is the bronze bust.

2. Even if he got reinstated he wouldnt get in the hall. He is too far post retirement to be voted in by writers in the normal manner. He would have to be voted in by the veterans committee. Who hardly ever vote anyone in. And of the committee members enough have already said they wouldnt vote for him that he has no chance.

That being said I think the whole thing is silly. Bonds and Clemens should be in too. Especially Bonds.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 12-16-2015, 03:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyB View Post
So Bonds, A-Rod, McGuire and the rest of them cheated.....let me repeat that.....Cheated and kept their records, going to the Hall? But Pete gets a life time ban for betting on his team to win???.....BS!
I said previously that I think the whole thing as it involves the hall is silly. But I think as far as a ban from being part of the game, Rose's infraction was worse. It removes his credibility totally. While PED's can only improve your chance of winning. Theres no way that what they were or were not doing could be construed as bad for their team.

Rose has publicy said he didnt bet on every game. He bet when he had certain pitchers going etc. So its hard to say that he coached games the same way when he had money on them as games he didnt. Had the case been that he put $50 on the Reds everyday it would be one thing. But he didnt.

I think he should have the bronze bust as a player. But I dont think he should be able to be hired as a coach again.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 12-16-2015, 08:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I say Pete needs to be in for his accomplishments on the field, but not allowed to work in baseball because of the gambling.

The issue with Pete is that he voluntarily signed a "lifetime" ban with the unwritten agreement that he wouldnt have to admit anything and the the ban would be lifted in a few years. But Giamatti died before his few years was up, and Selig upheld the written ban.
Then Pete doubled down on his innocence and it escalates from there.

IMO, if he had admitted it from day one and fell on the mercy of public opinion, he would have been in the hall long before now.

As a side note, I went to HS with Pete Jr. (I was 1 year ahead of him) He's was a chip off the ole block, a major league prick. Last I heard of Jr., he was busted for selling PED's to minor leaguers, and plead out by giving up his suppliers.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:52 AM

At this point, what difference does it make? reinforcing his ban seems small.

Old 12-16-2015, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
.... he didn't throw games, wasn't juiced, didn't beat Ty Cobb's record by being juiced, didn't beat Women or Children, didn't get in a shoot out at a bar, didn't sell drugs or do drugs......he bet on his team to Win, he has a gambling problem......That's the biggest Sin here?

You are absolutely right!

And those other "OFFENDERS" are setting a great example to those youngsters who idolize them.

Old 12-16-2015, 02:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Navarro View Post
You are absolutely right!

And those other "OFFENDERS" are setting a great example to those youngsters who idolize them.
X1000!!!

My take on Pro sports is that EVERY athlete HAS to be a role model, my opinion!

I believe the current commissioner might have at least a little bit of a power trip going one w/ the deal, I don't care for folks that have the control and manipulation agenda! AND maybe Pete's current take on gambling didn't help.....

Right now ANY athlete, Pro, or amateur can bet on any sport, legally without fear of any legal wranglings......SAME thing Pete was doing back in the good old days.........

I agree w/ you all that he should NOT be reinstated.....BUT it's seems strange with the current sickened state of morality that our country currently embraces, that the ban was not lifted. Gambling is everywhere, the absolute disgrace that has been inflicted on the institution of marriage, much more.

Then here we are, celebrating the season of the birth of the world's savior. Forgiveness is something that's difficult for all of us, but we are forgiven, if we recognize who to ask.......

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 12-16-2015, 07:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I'm no baseball fan, even though my Grandfather was a MLB pitcher way back in the day......I remember seeing Rose play, with passion and I respect that. And yes, he brought this on himself.

But.... he didn't throw games, wasn't juiced, didn't beat Ty Cobb's record by being juiced, didn't beat Women or Children, didn't get in a shoot out at a bar, didn't sell drugs or do drugs......he bet on his team to Win, he has a gambling problem......That's the biggest Sin here?

Yes they will let him in the Hall, after he dies.......A Shame IMO.

Sadly, this is a commentary on what America has become. There is no wrong or right anymore. If enough people are doing it and social media accepts it, it becomes acceptable and the norm.

When players walk into any clubhouse in any stadium in baseball, they see this rule: "Any player, umpire, or club official or employee, who shall bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in connection with which the bettor has no duty to perform shall be declared ineligible for one year. Any player, umpire, or club or league official or employee, who shall bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in connection with which the bettor has a duty to perform shall be declared permanently ineligible." This has been the case for nearly 100 years, since the game was almost destroyed by a betting scandal. There are now rules posted in clubhouses about banned substances that cannot be taken. But they have only been there for the past decade, and a lifetime ban occurs after three offenses, not one.

Seems pretty clear to me, so why are so many people sympathetic to someone who out of weakness of character, chose to ignore a MLB policy of conduct?

Old 12-16-2015, 08:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

For years, Pete denied betting on baseball. Then, he said "well, I guess I did". Then he denied for years that he bet on the Reds when he was player manager. Then he said "well I guess I did". Now we're supposed to believe him, when he says he never threw a game, because of a bet?

As for ARoid, or Bonds, Clemans, McGuire, etc, I don't believe they should be admitted, either.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I feel he is not half as bad as the steroid use that was going on. He bet on his team. The roid guys got bonus's and better contracts for hitting so well.
Rose is lucky if he went 50/50.
Just think of how many kids role models would be crushed if the NFL tested for steroids. There would be no NFL. We all could work on are cars all day Sunday and Monday night!

Old 12-16-2015, 09:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I know I am biased for sure. Born in 1965 so I was 10 yrs old when the Big Red Machine was rolling. That team had a core of "hall of famers" even though only 2 actually made it (I think - Bench/Morgan). Rose, Perez, & Concepcion should be in there if you look at stats. Out of all those guys, Rose and Morgan were my main idols due to their constant hustle and talent displayed on the field. Being perfectly honest, by the time Rose went to the Phillies and then back to the Reds as a player/manager he pretty much annoyed me with his arrogance.....spiking the ball at the end of a half-inning and that other BS a lot of athletes do today to draw attention to themselves. I was older and had a different perspective and wasn't "looking up" to anyone like that. All that said, I still think he should be in the hall for his accomplishments on the field.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pete Rose was one of my all time favorites growing up and the big red machine was my team. I believe he should be in the hall of fame for what he did on the field but also believe the guy has a major gambling problem.
I was in Vagas about 8 years ago and happened to go by a sports shop that had Pete Rose and I believe Steve Garvey signing autographs. They would sign something for a cost, like $50 if I recall correctly.
Anyway, Pete had a small TV or phone or something and was watching some horse racing and was going crazy! Not even giving full attention to his fans. I found it very pathetic.

1970 GTO 4spd VOE Pepper Green, green int.
1967 LeMans 428 Auto. Blue, black int.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint View Post
Sadly, this is a commentary on what America has become. There is no wrong or right anymore. If enough people are doing it and social media accepts it, it becomes acceptable and the norm.
Pete has more than paid his dues, much more than anyone else in the game......When did MLB become the "God" of all sports? No doubt he was wrong, but how long is a punishment that never affected the game? No, you're right, Pete is paying for the Sins of others long dead and gone....MLB didn't drop the hammer on Pete for the "Integrity Of The Game" they dropped it on him to protect the MLB "Brand". Yea they're more than happy to show his stuff off to "paying" Fans at Cooperstown......but they won't let him in???.....Haha, yea, Integrity Of The Game......Please

Old 12-17-2015, 03:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

They should move Rose's (along with Bonds' and the others') memorabilia into a new venue and call it the MLB Hall of Shame. Maybe that is why they included it in the first place, the power of the understatement.