Old 11-17-2019, 01:16 PM
Senior Chief

Default LED REPLACEMENT BULBS

Want to replace the dash (Instrument panel) lights in my 65 GTO. Searched the forum but didn't see a specific part number or Manufacturer. The original bulbs are 1895's and are very short.
Any one know a part number or maker of led's that replaces the 1895's?

Old 11-17-2019, 03:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you look at superbrightleds.com?

Old 11-17-2019, 03:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest1964 View Post
Did you look at superbrightleds.com?
Their stuff is good but crazy overpriced.

Look for LED 1895 equivalents that fire in all directions. Those that just fire straight out will not do a very good job lighting the instrument panel as LED light doesn't seem to reflect off things very well. Don't know why. Also, most general LEDs are not dimmable, they are either on or off. They also have to be installed with the correct polarization orientation or they won't work, but there are the types that will work in either orientation if you feel the need to pay extra for that. If you are willing to spend more, there are dimmable versions out there but not always in the colors you want. If you want the dashlights to be green, get green LEDs since the whites will NOT pick up the green shading off the interior of the housing like incandescents do. Also, be aware, green LEDs will look a lot more GREEN than the original incandescents do.

Here is a photo of my 69 C10 instruments lit by green LEDs. Very bright, which I like, but very, very green.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leddash.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	524646  

Old 02-15-2021, 11:05 PM
Senior Chief

Default Superbright leds Coming loose upon plug in

Got some dash lights from Superbright for my 65. BA9s SMD tower warm white

They seem to fit snugly into the socket.

Upon snapping the socket into place about half of them fell out of the socket into
The cluster.

Anyone else have this issue ?......

I’ve never had an issue like this before.

Tks in advance.

Old 02-21-2021, 12:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One of the guys on the 409 board used these.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Chevy-BR...5/280876953382

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 02-21-2021, 01:36 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelroy View Post
Want to replace the dash (Instrument panel) lights in my 65 GTO. Searched the forum but didn't see a specific part number or Manufacturer. The original bulbs are 1895's and are very short.
Any one know a part number or maker of led's that replaces the 1895's?
Keep the standard incadescent bulb if you have a GEN light as the resistance from that style bulb has been said to be needed to make the charging system work correctly. I cannot confirm this as being a true statement as I don't have my car up and running, but this has been thrown out there as a problem when going to all LED's to include the GEN light for those who have the idiot lights and not gauges.

I swapped all my '68 bulbs over with Superbrite brand bulbs and had no issues. Yes they are not dimmable, and some don't care for the brightness, but Superbrites do offer assorted brightness which you can test/see o their bulb selections. Their bulbs don't seem to be polarity specific. I also used them on a 1948 International truck that I converted over to 12V negative ground.

I like bright lights and the '68 was always a bit dark in my opinion. I tested the LED's installed with my dash out, and the LED's really do it for me.

Old 02-22-2021, 04:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What PJ said, post #6. Also have Superbright LEDS & use one for the GEN lamp & charging system works fine.

However, I have had the car [ 66 GTO ] 26 yrs & cannot remember if there is a factory wired resistor wired across the factory lamp or whether I added one when I first got the car.
You could try the LED. If the gen fails to charge, you need to wire a resistor across the lamp. It does NOT need to be wired under the dash [ who wants to lie on their back! ] . It can be connected in the engine compartment; one end to switched ign, other end to terminal 4 of the volt reg [ brown wire ].
Resistor should be 47 ohm [ common value ], 3 watt rating [ 5 w better ].

Old 02-22-2021, 01:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I did a video last year dealing with this very issue- it was on AutoGauge lamps, but you'll see what I mean-
https://youtu.be/zhZVgypr6HA