THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-07-2020, 01:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Used Porsche Panamera ... am I looking for trouble?

I got the bug to get a different car.

I came across a number of low mileage, used 2011-2012 Porsche Panameras that can be had for $30K. From what I've read, they were originally $75K-$130K when new depending on trim (V6/V8/V8 Turbo/AWD).

I saw a dealer ad on Car Gurus for a 2012 with only 24K miles. Here's the kicker, the car has been through 7 prior owners. Others are all 2-4 prior owners which I assume means driven a year or so until something expensive broke or a major service interval passed, dump it, rinse and repeat.

I called the dealer about the 7 owner car out of curiosity and his response was "Rich people buy them, drive them a year or two and sell them. Then a not-so-rich guy buys it, drives it a year and sells it. Then a rich guy buys it for his kid. The kid drives it a year and hates the 4 doors so he sells it to some not-so-rich guy and on and on." BS of course.

I don't even drive 5K miles a year so a low mileage used car like this Porsche seems a fair trade of higherroutine maintenance cost in exchange for a next-level the driving experience. I know they are incredibly expense to repair if something major goes but from what I have read, the drivetrain, suspension and electronics are very reliable. Tires and brakes can be pricey, dealer oil changes are $300 but independents can do it for much less. I use my GTO as my fair weather and weekend driver. The 4 door Panamera offers a lot of utility and the Porsche driving experience.

Any of you familiar with these cars?

Last edited by NeighborsComplaint; 03-07-2020 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-07-2020, 01:50 PM
Suspended

Glorified rebadged VW Tiguan or Touareg

If you want a high end SUV, get one with its own identity, like a Mercedes.

Old 03-07-2020, 02:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post

Porsche Panamera:

Old 03-07-2020, 03:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think at that mileage the biggest issue you are going to deal with is brakes. Exactly like you said my buddy traded in his Cayanne when the brakes were going to cost 5k

Old 03-07-2020, 04:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can't comment on that specific car, but as a BMW owner the advice I'd give is to make sure that when it does need maintenance beyond what you can do at home, that you have a dealer, or better yet a good independent Porsche repair shop nearby. Like most other euro cars you can get OEM equivalent parts from the aftermarket; using brakes as an example, they can still be expensive (I checked the parts house I use and while they sell cheaper versions, OEM quality front rotors are around $350 each) but stuff like that is something any DIYer can do at home for much less expense than having it done at a shop.

Old 03-07-2020, 05:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

We had an 88 Porsche 944. Fun car, but it ALWAYS needed something done to it. Most of it was not DIY.

Old 03-07-2020, 06:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint View Post
Porsche Panamera:

Yup, a rebadged VW Tiquan, just like Chief posted.... They look nearly identical (2012 model shown below...)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Champ For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2020, 06:37 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
Yup, a rebadged VW Tiquan, just like Chief posted.... They look nearly identical (2012 model shown below...)

One thing I do know for certain.... I still live deep in your head.

Old 03-07-2020, 06:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post

I'm not too crazy about it in the silver, makes it look boxy.

Old 03-07-2020, 06:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd go over it with a fine toothed comb before you buy..

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 03-07-2020, 07:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
One thing I do know for certain.... I still live deep in your head.
LOLOLOLOLOL....

In your dreams, Chief.

But if that dream makes you sleep better at night, go for it. Maybe it'll improve the accuracy and quality of your posting....

Old 03-07-2020, 07:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint View Post
I'm not too crazy about it in the silver, makes it look boxy.
Maybe I should have found a black one. Let's see if it looks better in black...

No, it still looks boxy in black.

Maybe the Porsche emblems make the Porsche "Tiquan" clone look "sleeker"....

Old 03-07-2020, 07:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

I think the Chef has Joe Biden disease....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLcIMdHQvz8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3G52Bjirho

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bentwheelbob For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2020, 07:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Keep it civil, guys.

Old 03-07-2020, 08:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My advice is to go into a possible purchase with your eyes wide open and your wallet tuned into what is costs to own and drive a German car. I work on BMW's and Mercedes regularly, and some VW, Audi, and an occasional Porsche. Without exception, they are all more enjoyable to drive than their Japanese, Korean, or American competition within each class of vehicle. They are also, much, much more trouble prone, 4 to 5 times as expensive to repair, and more difficult to obtain parts than their contemporaries. So just be prepared for endless electrical problems that are expensive and difficult to repair. Long wait times for expensive parts, even with the internet to help. Items that just make your head spin off your shoulders. Thousand dollar exterior door handles, $1300.00 headlight modules. This is just normal every day stuff. That's why a 80K Panamara is 27K the day the warranty expires. As a third or fourth vehicle you don't have to depend on for transportation, they are fun and really cool. I like to think of them as pretty piece of furniture you can drive on occasion. I also think of them as a great lease car. In three years when it falls apart, you can give it back. I have about a dozen regular customers who own German cars and SUV's. I don't think any of them are truly satisfied. I re-read your original post. I agree with your findings with one big exception. The electronics, infotainment systems, modules, wiring, hardware and software, telematics and vehicle interface and communication systems are by far the WORST I ever have to deal with. Extremely difficult and expensive to repair. Engines, transmissions, suspension, steering, all very good in general, tough and durable. Pick your poison I guess.

Last edited by mgarblik; 03-07-2020 at 08:12 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2020, 08:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My neighbour had a loner one. His bosses wifes car which he took over while they went on an extended holiday. All he had to do was pay the daily running costs. I think he drove it about 5 times in 6 months as the insurance premiums (over here) will make your eyes water.

Old 03-07-2020, 09:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
My advice is to go into a possible purchase with your eyes wide open and your wallet tuned into what is costs to own and drive a German car. I work on BMW's and Mercedes regularly, and some VW, Audi, and an occasional Porsche. Without exception, they are all more enjoyable to drive than their Japanese, Korean, or American competition within each class of vehicle. They are also, much, much more trouble prone, 4 to 5 times as expensive to repair, and more difficult to obtain parts than their contemporaries. So just be prepared for endless electrical problems that are expensive and difficult to repair. Long wait times for expensive parts, even with the internet to help. Items that just make your head spin off your shoulders. Thousand dollar exterior door handles, $1300.00 headlight modules. This is just normal every day stuff. That's why a 80K Panamara is 27K the day the warranty expires. As a third or fourth vehicle you don't have to depend on for transportation, they are fun and really cool. I like to think of them as pretty piece of furniture you can drive on occasion. I also think of them as a great lease car. In three years when it falls apart, you can give it back. I have about a dozen regular customers who own German cars and SUV's. I don't think any of them are truly satisfied. I re-read your original post. I agree with your findings with one big exception. The electronics, infotainment systems, modules, wiring, hardware and software, telematics and vehicle interface and communication systems are by far the WORST I ever have to deal with. Extremely difficult and expensive to repair. Engines, transmissions, suspension, steering, all very good in general, tough and durable. Pick your poison I guess.
Very well stated, and my experience as well, working on these cars. I was actually toying with the idea of buying a Panamera a year or so ago, for the same reason as the OP: a 100k car that can go 180 MPH for under 30k. But I came to my senses and realized I didn't want to sign up for endless electrical issues and expensive parts, even though I do my own work. All of these new, high-end European cars are in reality very expensive appliances, and when they get a few years on them, they begin to have issues that are not easily or cheaply repaired. Most initial customers lease them and unload them at the end of their contract or the car's warranty.

Old 03-08-2020, 12:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wonderful car that could give you 100,000’s of thousands of miles of use or potentially could be an eyewateringly huge money pit.
For me, the risk wouldn’t be worth the reward.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 03-08-2020, 10:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Well stated and thanks for the reality check!

Yesterday I spoke with a buddy who is a transmission builder and mechanic and he basically said they were money pits. By coincidence, he just had one towed in to his shop not more than a month before. The owner had it towed there from the Porsche dealership with a transmission failure he couldn't afford to fix. I asked him if he rebuilt the transmission and he just laughed and said "You don't rebuild those transmissions, you replace it with a used one. Total bill for the used trans and swap out was $8,000 and that was a bargain by Porsche standards."

He went on to tell me that the cars are so electronics laden (he says 7 computers) that your odds of a costly electrical failure are just a matter of time and normal wear items are super expensive. He also mentioned a mechanical fault on the earlier models (sheared aluminum camshaft sprocket bolts) that resulted in a recall and destroyed a number of engines. Unless the owner has a service record of that repair, a costly inspection and possible replacement of the bolts with the later steel bolts is required. He said the owner of the Panamera he worked on told him he bought the car used and his first month of ownership was wonderful. After that, there was always something wrong with the car, little things that the cost to repair was almost unbelievable.

I think I will pass after all, The stock market is doing a good enough job of draining my savings.

Old 03-09-2020, 02:30 AM
Senior Chief

The Porsche Macan is the car that appears to be strangely similar to the Volkswagen Tiguan.. although all VW-based cars look the same if you ask me...