Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-30-2019, 05:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default lower control arms from "Ames"

Just wondering if anyone has bought these...…...im changing my upper arms already, no idea if my lowers are original or not, the car is a 66. Hate to find out while changing the uppers that the lowers are shot...…..more down time.

While looking at them, they look good, but that really doesn't mean anything...…….the pair cost $310...……..whats ya think, just bite the bullet and get them, or keep the originals.

Rich

Old 07-30-2019, 05:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

how bad were your uppers? The lowers deal with more road grime, salt etc. So, if the uppers were in pretty bad shape, you can probably assume the lowers are in at least that type of shape.

Old 07-30-2019, 06:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMounce View Post
how bad were your uppers? The lowers deal with more road grime, salt etc. So, if the uppers were in pretty bad shape, you can probably assume the lowers are in at least that type of shape.
On the uppers I have some God knows what tubular arms, posted a pic of them awhile back, some think they are old global west arms with the ball joint pressed into them...…..who knows, I ordered some spc adjustable upper arms, cant afford to get the lowers, so im sticking with what I have now...………..just thought maybe get the new lowers , just in case.

Hate to waste money, but if the new lowers from "Ames" are good quality, I will do it. That's why I was looking for people that bought these lowers, if they were happy with what they bought.

Rich

Old 07-30-2019, 06:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Okay that changes things. I have the SPC uppers and while you can run them with the factory lowers, getting that really nice positive caster alignment in there can cause clearance issues with the tires. With those SPC uppers you really REALLY want the accompanying lowers. The lowers properly recenter the lower ball joint to get the tire back in the center of the wheel well at higher caster angles.

With just the uppers you can probably run 2, maybe 3* positive caster before you start getting into some rub issues in the fender wells. Once you add the lowers you can run up to about 6* positive caster. With the GM short long arm suspension design, you want all the caster you can get!

So given that, I would run what you have for right now and save up for those SPC lowers. You'll thank yourself!

Old 07-30-2019, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought lower control arms from Ames with the sway bar holes in them already. Are you talking rear end? I'm assumed that's what you meant but looking at responses they're talking front end. If you're talking rear, the ones I received looked ok but the precut swaybar holes were at a bad angle instead of straight across. I sent them back and ordered some from opg which were good.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought the global west knockoffs off eBay for 259 bucks for the full set. They are exactly like global west down to the welds and they took the same alignment specs. They were well worth the money although I did take the ballpoints out and put proforged in

Old 07-31-2019, 01:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Several years ago I bought a set of repop lowers from Ames, had to send them back (which they took care of no problem). Ball joint mount angle was all wrong, off by probably 15 degrees, ball joint end of arm was poorly formed and had way less of a reinforcing skirt around it. Sent Ames pictures and they took them right back, however it wasn't a defective set, it's the way all of them were made.

Still have the pics if you are interested. I repaired my old set which had been hogged out for larger shocks.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:32 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
I bought the global west knockoffs off eBay for 259 bucks for the full set. They are exactly like global west down to the welds and they took the same alignment specs. They were well worth the money although I did take the ballpoints out and put proforged in
This One?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tubular-Hea...gAAOSw1jpcBjtv

1971 Grand Prix 462ci SD Performance 6x heads
1962 Catalina 389
1968 Firebird 400-455 I haven't decided

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under GOD, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
Old 07-31-2019, 04:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Several years ago I bought a set of repop lowers from Ames, had to send them back (which they took care of no problem). Ball joint mount angle was all wrong, off by probably 15 degrees, ball joint end of arm was poorly formed and had way less of a reinforcing skirt around it. Sent Ames pictures and they took them right back, however it wasn't a defective set, it's the way all of them were made.

Still have the pics if you are interested. I repaired my old set which had been hogged out for larger shocks.
Oh, Oh, that aint good. lol...………..sent you a pm with my address would like to see the pics...…..the more I think about this I should have just went the way 64 speed did...

Just seems I like to do everything the hard and expensive way.

Rich

Old 07-31-2019, 05:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wish you were local Rich, I'd have you come down and drive my SPC equipped bird. Then I'd send you over to take a ride in torqhead's GTO which has a slightly more aggressive setup with the SPC arms. Yeah this route is more expensive, but I feel confident in saying that once you actually drive the car with the new arms and the alignment they can achieve, you won't question it.

What you will be doing is scratching your head and wondering how it is that your big old car can handle and ride the way it does.

If in doubt, send torqhead a pm and ask about his thoughts on the subject. His car is the same analog to yours. While the F-Body front suspension is similar, the rear is completely different, so my experience isn't exactly apples to apples.

Old 07-31-2019, 05:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMounce View Post
I wish you were local Rich, I'd have you come down and drive my SPC equipped bird. Then I'd send you over to take a ride in torqhead's GTO which has a slightly more aggressive setup with the SPC arms. Yeah this route is more expensive, but I feel confident in saying that once you actually drive the car with the new arms and the alignment they can achieve, you won't question it.

What you will be doing is scratching your head and wondering how it is that your big old car can handle and ride the way it does.

If in doubt, send torqhead a pm and ask about his thoughts on the subject. His car is the same analog to yours. While the F-Body front suspension is similar, the rear is completely different, so my experience isn't exactly apples to apples.
Jason, what do you mean im not local...…...im only in Wisc, lol, might be worth the ride just to drive your car...…...gonna drop you a pm if you don't mind.

Gotta send torqhead a pm also...………..talked to ma ma about getting the spc lowers, she said whatever...……….to me that sounds like snap em up.

Rich

Old 07-31-2019, 05:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, send over a PM, I can answer any question you have about the whole deal. I'm familiar with both the A body and F body platform. Wife unit has a 71 Chevelle, so I work on both of these things.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-6....c100889.m5204

Old 07-31-2019, 09:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Those

Old 08-01-2019, 02:34 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
Thanks! I'll take a look at them.

1971 Grand Prix 462ci SD Performance 6x heads
1962 Catalina 389
1968 Firebird 400-455 I haven't decided

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under GOD, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan