Old 03-18-2009, 10:54 AM

Another local guy then. There're getting to be a quite a few of us from this area on the boards.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 03-25-2009, 02:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's a pic and a story of a recently closed Chevy dealer in California.

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article...news/812240385

Old 03-25-2009, 05:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's our local Chrysler Dealer - not sure how many cars they sell a year - but they are still open.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amaral.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	163009  

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 03-25-2009, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
Here's our local Chrysler Dealer - not sure how many cars they sell a year - but they are still open.
My guess its one or two LOL. They probably make more money on gas. I wonder why they dont have the Chrysler logo anywhere.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:50 PM

Old blue
Since you started the thread,
are you downloading each pic as it gets posted?
Are the pix in the correct format to be ok at say 8x10?

What is the size and format standard for uploading pix that may become historical and or preservational in eventual purpose?

Has anyone made a complete archive of everything that flows through this stream?
The photos alone are worth the effort

Regards
Ralph
aka citydesk175

=====================
There are 10 types of people in this world"
those who know binary and those who don't
========================
Old 03-26-2009, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydesk175 View Post
Old blue
Since you started the thread,
are you downloading each pic as it gets posted?
Are the pix in the correct format to be ok at say 8x10?

What is the size and format standard for uploading pix that may become historical and or preservational in eventual purpose?

Has anyone made a complete archive of everything that flows through this stream?
The photos alone are worth the effort

Regards
Ralph
aka citydesk175
Sadly Ralph I dont have that kinda time. Honestly I didn't really think about it. It is a good idea though. I have saved a few of the historic pics that come thogh this thread and various others as I really enjoy them as do the members in our car club. They sometimes go into the club newsletter. I haven't saved anywhere near the amount that would be considered a collection.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

hey is admiral pontiac in glen burnie.i dont know when they shut down i was on my by it going to run errands and i never realized they closed up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dealer1.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	163095   Click image for larger version

Name:	dealer2.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	163096   Click image for larger version

Name:	dealer3.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	163097  

Old 04-29-2009, 07:47 PM

This is a very cool thread... Love the Ace Wilson Pics I can not belive there are not more pics floating around.
I am going to try to get some pics of the Old Pontiac dealership, before it moved and became BPG dealership. Ironically its still a used car lot along with a mechanics shop and body shop. And its where I had the body and paint work done to my Lemans...
Oh it was Al Gallman Pontiac and now its Heritage Auto Group.

www.fquick.com/mikecio1
http://www.facebook.com/MikeCio1
Old 04-30-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtee8gto View Post
http://www.brownautomotive.com/ hit the ABOUT US link. We are the OLDEST family owned dealership in the country.
Sorry, but I beg to differ. H.A. Freitag & Son Inc. in Montello Wis. was founded in 1905 as an International Harvester dealer and picked up Buick shortly thereafter. They added Chevrolet in the teens and Pontiac in the early thirties. They dropped IHC in the fifties, but still sell Chevrolet, Pontiac, and Buick. (at least for now).
The present owner is the great grandson of the founder. and the dealership is still in the same building that it has been in since the late twenties, although it has been added on to. I used to work for them in the late sixties in the parts dept.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue 66 View Post
My guess its one or two LOL. They probably make more money on gas. I wonder why they dont have the Chrysler logo anywhere.
The sign is a little further down the street - just didn't make it into the picture.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 05-28-2009, 05:26 PM

Has anyone heard of mike higgins pontiac that was in cincinnati,ohio from 1968-95 today the building in still there which is pretty neat

Last edited by Last4004spdTA; 05-28-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:20 PM

This is for old blue 66 and goathad68,
I grew up in Grayslake, went to school with one of the Rochenbachs, and went to school across the street from the dealership when Lakeview was the jr high. I haven't been there in years. Do either of you get up into Antioch? My folks bought a 66 ragtop bonnie from Pittman Pontiac in Antioch. Is that building still there? I remember it on the main street heading towards Wisconsin. It seemed ( if I remember correctly), to 'wrap' or curve with the street. It was a small dealership, but kind of cool-looking. Just found this thread or I would have asked much sooner....

Old 07-29-2009, 12:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66bonneville View Post
This is for old blue 66 and goathad68,
I grew up in Grayslake, went to school with one of the Rochenbachs, and went to school across the street from the dealership when Lakeview was the jr high. I haven't been there in years. Do either of you get up into Antioch? My folks bought a 66 ragtop bonnie from Pittman Pontiac in Antioch. Is that building still there? I remember it on the main street heading towards Wisconsin. It seemed ( if I remember correctly), to 'wrap' or curve with the street. It was a small dealership, but kind of cool-looking. Just found this thread or I would have asked much sooner....
I dont get up that far north too often. Thanks for the heads up though. When I do, it gives me something to look for.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The ObamaNation we once called the United States of America

The next time we go to visit the in-laws I will take a pic of the old Ford dealership there............it has a neat surprise. Hopefully I will be up there within the next 2 weeks.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserves neither and will loose both."-Benjamin Franklin
Old 07-30-2009, 07:10 PM

Here is some interesting pictures and stuff: http://tulsatvmemories.com/cars.html. One of them listed is Fred Jones. I bought a 96 t-bird from them. Just before the deal was finalized with Ford to buy all of the dealerships and create the "Tulsa Auto Collection" nicknamed the "Tulsa Auto Corruption." There is a scan of a "back seat driver's licence" from Milner Pontiac. There are pictures pics of some of the dealer badges they stuck on the back of cars.

Here is a link to a 65 GTO sponsored by Milner Pontiac: http://ultimategto.com/cgi-bin/showc...965/65_00219_1

Old 07-30-2009, 10:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdTA View Post
Here is some interesting pictures and stuff: http://tulsatvmemories.com/cars.html. One of them listed is Fred Jones. I bought a 96 t-bird from them. Just before the deal was finalized with Ford to buy all of the dealerships and create the "Tulsa Auto Collection" nicknamed the "Tulsa Auto Corruption." There is a scan of a "back seat driver's licence" from Milner Pontiac. There are pictures pics of some of the dealer badges they stuck on the back of cars.

Here is a link to a 65 GTO sponsored by Milner Pontiac: http://ultimategto.com/cgi-bin/showc...965/65_00219_1
that is a really neat site. brought back alot of forgotten memories. my favorite is the ma-hu mansion. i grew up in that area. oertles was the coolest store ever, it absolutely had everything you could imagine. i bought my first mini bike from there. i was fortunate enough to get to go inside the house with my dad when i was young and then when they died, we (as teenagers) would sneak in and have parties until the cops would show up and try to catch everyone. thanks for posting that site.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdTA

that is a really neat site. brought back alot of forgotten memories. my favorite is the ma-hu mansion. i grew up in that area. oertles was the coolest store ever, it absolutely had everything you could imagine. i bought my first mini bike from there. i was fortunate enough to get to go inside the house with my dad when i was young and then when they died, we (as teenagers) would sneak in and have parties until the cops would show up and try to catch everyone. thanks for posting that site.
I found the site today searching old Tulsa dealerships. There is a lot of things there that I am too young to have seen. But I do find historical stuff to be very fascinating. Here lately it seems that all of my memories are under attack, Bells is gone, Camelot has been torn down, the drive in theater on 71st is there but the screen is gone, I have not seen the U-haul truck on top the building downtown spin for a long time, at least it is still there, Metro Dinner is gone. I spent part of my summers in Iowa every year and places there are disappearing left and right there too.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

what is amazing to me, is how many things that i have forgot about and something like this will trigger my memory into remembering all kinds of places long gone. i kept thinking about the ma-hu mansion today. that place was so beautiful and what was so cool was all the long horn cattle that roamed the pasture. and for it to be right in the growing part of town.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:39 AM

Default New car Dealer Buildings

Old Blue

I bought my 65 Lemans from Loughead Pontiac on State Rd in Upper Darby Pa. Back then he was a Pontiac only Dealership. He is the oldest Pontiac Dealership in the US, been around since 1926. He is still in the area but is associated with Buick and GMC. Thanks for Pictures. Rich

If everything seems under control,your just not going fast enough. Mario Andretti

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I Won't. General George Patton
Old 08-28-2009, 01:12 PM

Default Al Gallman Pontiac Inc, Zone 17 #131

Here are some pics of the old Al Gallman Pontiac Inc, located at 3621 Cleveland Ave, Fort Myers, FL.
I think they were there from the 60's thru to 90's. Then the franchise was sold to Galeana who moved it out of the building to a further south location. Then Galeana became a Kia/Crysler/Dodge store. And Dixie Buick GMC became the BPGMC dealership for the area and still is.

Today, Gallmanvillle (as it used to say on their logo) is Heritage Auto Group. Its owned by a doctor that dabbles in old cars, sells used cars, mechanic shop and body shop. (its a Carstar bodyshop). I actually had them do the metal work on my car and paint it. They do a lot of restoration work. The place is still pretty big, all the original buildings are still standng and have never been remodled. If you "google earth" it you can see the lay out.

Here is a pic of the dealership, the old service entrance and one of the old paint booths that they still use. The only reminace of Pontiac being there is a Rallye II wheel which is bolted to the wall behind the bodyshop which is used as a hose reel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0828091216.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	179461   Click image for larger version

Name:	0828091215.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	179462   Click image for larger version

Name:	0828091213.jpg
Views:	128