THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-17-2021, 02:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Help!

My sons car is Nickle and Diming him to death! I am thinking about buying him a car. Found a 2005 Rav4 125000 miles front wheel drive. We have owned 2 Toyotas a 20011 Camry and a 2017 Rav4 both are rock solid we still have the rav and our daughter has the Camry. I havent talk to the seller yet but I did a quick crawl and walk around on my run this morning and looks good outside inside and under. I haven't popped the hood! Any input would be great!

"Don't let fatigue make a coward of you."
Old 01-17-2021, 02:30 PM
Suspended

Can't lose on a Toyota. Only thing I suggest is to see if they replaced the water pump and related timing parts (generally done together as a procedure). With those miles, its due. If they say that it has, ask for the receipt. Talk is cheap, no receipt, assume it was not done and you will have to do it. If it wasn't done its not a deal breaker, consider it your bargaining chip.

Other than the normal stuff (brakes, tires, etc.) they're fairly bulletproof.

Old 01-17-2021, 02:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
Can't lose on a Toyota. Only thing I suggest is to see if they replaced the water pump and related timing parts (generally done together as a procedure). With those miles, its due. If they say that it has, ask for the receipt. Talk is cheap, no receipt, assume it was not done and you will have to do it. If it wasn't done its not a deal breaker, consider it your bargaining chip.

Other than the normal stuff (brakes, tires, etc.) they're fairly bulletproof.
Thank you sir!

Old 01-17-2021, 08:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can't beat Toyota, although some manufacturers are getting close or equal in quality. For desirability, though, Toyota seems to lead. They sure scored a hit with that Rav4 and it was well deserved. I have 2 vehicles going back soon and we're going to replace them both with a new Rav4. Still won't be replacing my '07 Tundra, though, with only 200,000 miles.

Old 01-17-2021, 09:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
Can't beat Toyota, although some manufacturers are getting close or equal in quality. For desirability, though, Toyota seems to lead. They sure scored a hit with that Rav4 and it was well deserved. I have 2 vehicles going back soon and we're going to replace them both with a new Rav4. Still won't be replacing my '07 Tundra, though, with only 200,000 miles.
Thankyou!

Old 01-18-2021, 01:43 AM
Senior Chief

You can not beat a Toyota for the reliability, just ask Scotty Kilmore (of YouTube fame)
John L.

Sent from my SM-A426B using Tapatalk

Old 01-18-2021, 08:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

For our small cars and motorcycles we've been a Honda family for 30 years. Next car will be a Toyota, probably spring this year, probably a RAV4 to replace our CRV.

Being a big fan of Honda cars, motorcycles, Honda's racing efforts, Honda history, Soichiro Honda and vintage Hondas. I can say honestly their quality and dependability and innovation has been on a steady decline since ten years after the death of Soichiro Honda in 1991. He was one of those rare guys that cared as much about quality as money, loved him some racing too, hugely innovative.

I've watched their cars decline in quality from a hands on perspective as we get the wife a new Honda every three years. Still a good car and a decent product ... but Toyota has surpassed them by a considerable margin in my opinion. Or more accurately ... Honda has dropped below Toyota quality.

Old 01-18-2021, 01:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZZIEVILLE 67 2 door View Post
You can not beat a Toyota for the reliability, just ask Scotty Kilmore (of YouTube fame)
John L.

Sent from my SM-A426B using Tapatalk
That guy is a certified idiot.

That said, a Toyota from that time period is pretty much rock solid.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 01-18-2021, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
For our small cars and motorcycles we've been a Honda family for 30 years. Next car will be a Toyota, probably spring this year, probably a RAV4 to replace our CRV.

Being a big fan of Honda cars, motorcycles, Honda's racing efforts, Honda history, Soichiro Honda and vintage Hondas. I can say honestly their quality and dependability and innovation has been on a steady decline since ten years after the death of Soichiro Honda in 1991. He was one of those rare guys that cared as much about quality as money, loved him some racing too, hugely innovative.

I've watched their cars decline in quality from a hands on perspective as we get the wife a new Honda every three years. Still a good car and a decent product ... but Toyota has surpassed them by a considerable margin in my opinion. Or more accurately ... Honda has dropped below Toyota quality.
I agree, we have bought new Hondas' since the late 80s, and there is a noticeable decline in quality from then until now. That being said, we have not had any major issues from any Honda. There are interesting decisions being made by the Honda bean-counters. We bought a new Pilot LX last summer, and it does not include an outside thermometer! Pretty surprising for a 30k automobile.
I will also agree on the level of quality at Toyota. I have a 2008 Tundra (5.7) that is like new and has never had any issues.
Good luck on your search!

Old 01-18-2021, 04:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, Honda is still dependable ... but it's the little things they are cutting corners on, the steel wheels on our latest CRV started to rust significantly within two years, various things started getting thinner, cheaper feeling, fasteners not the previous very high quality, little things like clips, straps, and brackets easier to break.

Our current CRV three years old ... battery went totally dead, rear brake calipers started seizing the first year, just a couple of months ago had to replace the rear calipers and rotors, and I suspect some issue with the all wheel drive ... front tires wear incredibly fast ... and the wife hasn't even put this one in a ditch like she normally does

Typical scenario 15-20 years ago .... I would literally do absolutely nothing to her Honda except put gas in it and change the oil for three or four years. I took pride in trading it having never had to replace a single part except the oil filter.

Old 01-18-2021, 05:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, make sure you ask about the water pump. My daughter has had hers replaced twice on her 08 Rav4. Not sure if they are belt or chain for timing. If its a 4 cyl it has a chain.

Old 01-18-2021, 06:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another vote for Toyota. Been working on them 40 years and driving them for 30. My daily driver is an original '83 Hi Lux 4x4 pickup. Still running strong on the original powertrain. Have seen many garden variety Camry's and Corollas hit 400,000 miles with just basic maintenance. Hondas are good too, just more complex and not quite as long lived. My vote would be for a 5-20 year old Camry or Avalon with under 200k on the clock. Cheap and reliable as an anvil.